In This Review: Our Take on Easy Auto Ship: Best for Added Benefits | Easy Auto Ship Pros and Cons | Easy Auto Ship Cost | Easy Auto Ship Services | Easy Auto Ship Process | Easy Auto Ship Reviews | Our Conclusion | Other Recommendations for Auto Shipping | Additional Things to Consider When You Move | FAQs
There are a lot of details to consider when you’re moving to a new home. With so many choices to sort through when searching for the best packing and moving companies, you may find that choosing the right car shipping company can be equally daunting. While there are a lot of auto shippers to choose from, Easy Auto Ship’s added benefits help it stand out from the competition.
The This Old House Reviews Team did a deep dive on Easy Auto Ship reviews, costs, and services to help you decide if the shipping broker is right for you. We’ve also reviewed the top car shipping companies in the country, and we recommend getting car shipping quotes online from providers to find the best price.
Our Take on Easy Auto Ship: Best for Added Benefits
Since 2013, this Youngstown, Ohio-based auto shipping broker has moved more than 123,000 vehicles. The company ships cars, motorcycles, and alternative vehicles to all 50 states as well as international destinations, specializing in door-to-door shipment. With all those options, this company could be a great choice, especially if you have alternative vehicles to ship to your new home.
Easy Auto Ship holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and an average star rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 from customers on the organization’s website. We named Easy Auto Ship the company that’s Best for Added Benefits because of its many discounts and perks, like car wash reimbursement. Overall, we rate the company 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.
Easy Auto Ship Pros and Cons
In our Easy Auto Ship review, we found the following pros and cons of working with the company:
✔ Guaranteed pricing
✔ Easy booking process
✔ Perks such as car wash and rental car reimbursement
✘ Doesn’t provide instant quotes
✘ No terminal-to-terminal shipping
✘ No GPS tracking
Easy Auto Ship Cost
Understanding a company’s cost for auto transport is essential when budgeting for your move. Even if you choose a cheap moving company, you’ll still want to keep costs down for other aspects of your move. That’s especially when you’re choosing to ship your car to your new home.
According to its website, Easy Auto Ship estimates that car shipping costs about $1 per mile on average, meaning a shipment that travels a distance of 500 miles may cost around $500. Long-distance shipments typically cost less per mile, while shorter-distance shipments may cost more per mile. The company notes that these are just general base prices, as several factors affect the cost of vehicle transport.
To get a more specific idea of what you may pay when shipping with Easy Auto Ship, we asked the company for a few quotes to ship an operable 2018 Honda CR-V:
What Affects Car Shipping Costs?
To stay within budget, it’s important to know what could affect the price of your car shipping service. Here are several of those factors:
- Distance: While cross-country shipments have lower rates per mile, they cost more overall than shorter-distance shipments.
- Enclosed carrier vs. open carrier: Open-air car shipping is much less expensive than enclosed vehicle shipping.
- Vehicle operability: Inoperable vehicles require more time and effort for pickup and drop-off. Some may need to be loaded onto the truck with a winch or forklift.
- Vehicle type: Bigger and heavier vehicles, such as trucks and SUVs, are costlier to ship. Vehicles with modifications, such as lifted or lowered cars, may require more space, so they’re also more expensive to ship.
- Route: The farther out of their way a carrier must go to pick a vehicle up, the more expensive the shipment. Car shipments on more popular routes are usually less expensive.
- Time of year: Demand for auto transport increases in January and the summer, making shipments during those times more expensive.
- Quickness of pickup and delivery: According to Easy Auto Ship, expedited shipping costs about 30% to 40% more than a standard pickup window.
- Gas prices: Fuel cost fluctuations can affect shipping costs.
If you’re looking to save money on your vehicle transport, Easy Auto Ship offers discounts. These include savings opportunities for active military members and veterans, as well as customers who book their shipments over the phone. Easy Auto Ship also gives customers up to $150 off of the shipment price for paying in cash instead of with a credit card.
Easy Auto Ship Services
Where you’re moving could also affect the availability of certain car shipping companies. Thankfully, Easy Auto Ship provides shipping services to all 50 states, including Hawaii and Alaska. The company can also arrange international car shipping.
Easy Auto Ship transports nearly all types of vehicles, including:
- Golf carts
- Heavy equipment
- Farm vehicles
The transport broker offers both open and enclosed shipping and door-to-door delivery. Expedited shipping is available for an additional charge.
If your car is dirty when it’s delivered, Easy Auto Ship will reimburse you for a car wash. Also, the company will pay for a rental car if your shipment takes more than 14 days from the pickup date.
Easy Auto Ship Process
If this is your first time shipping your vehicle to your new home or another location, you should know what to expect from the car shipping process. Here’s an overview of how auto transport with Easy Auto Ship works:
- Getting a quote: Use the car shipping calculator or the custom auto transport quote tool on Easy Auto Ship’s website to get a quote for your vehicle.
- Booking your shipment: Easy Auto Ship will email you a booking link with your quote that you can use to confirm your shipment online. You can also call a transport specialist at Easy Auto Ship to have them walk you through the process.
- Pickup and tracking: Easy Auto Ship will notify you as soon as a driver is assigned to your transport and will tell you when they’ll pick your vehicle up. Your transport specialist will periodically update you on the location of your vehicle, but you can contact them at any time during the shipping process.
- Delivery and payment: Once your vehicle is delivered, you and the driver will inspect it to make sure no damage occurred during shipment. Afterward, you’ll both sign a bill of lading, and you’ll pay the driver the remaining balance. An Easy Auto Ship staff member will contact you to make sure everything went smoothly.
Easy Auto Ship Reviews
Easy Auto Ship has strong reviews, with accreditation and an A+ rating from the BBB. Over 800 customer reviews on the BBB’s website rate Easy Auto Ship an average of 4.6 stars out of 5.0. The company has very few customer complaints as well, with only 27 closed through the BBB in the past three years.
In 2021, the This Old House Reviews Team conducted a survey that polled 1,000 auto shipping customers. Of those who used Easy Auto Ship, about 65% were satisfied with the experience.
Customers who leave positive Easy Auto Ship reviews are pleased with the company’s customer service and on-time delivery. While most reviews are positive, even the best auto shipping companies may have negative reviews. Easy Auto Ship’s negative reviews tend to center on poor communication.
“[Easy Auto Ship] found a shipper in two days. [My] car was picked up on time and delivered on the day they said. Very happy with the service.”
– Jack B. via BBB
“I’ve worked with these people twice now, and each time, my vehicle was delivered as scheduled and for the price they told me. I would definitely use them again.”
– Linda S. via BBB
“Car arrived in a timely manner, but the customer service was terrible. No one followed through on anything they said they would. Original quote was a lie and ended up being more expensive … I contacted Easy Auto Ship to complain and was told I would receive a call back to discuss this but never received a call.”
– Ilyssa E. via BBB
“Terrible experience. We do not recommend Easy Auto Ship at all. Paid additional for a three-day pickup window. They did not pick up in time, had a no-show driver, assigned a different driver, and we were finally picked up late.”
– Sharon M. via BBB
If you’re looking for cheap car shipping to all 50 states and beyond for your move, Easy Auto Ship may be the right choice for you. The company’s rates are low, and it guarantees the quoted price, keeping your wallet safe from hidden fees. To ensure your shipping experience is as convenient as possible, the transport broker also offers perks like car wash reimbursement if your car arrives dirty and rental car reimbursement if your shipment takes more than 14 days from pickup.
However, remember that Easy Auto Ship doesn’t offer GPS tracking of your vehicle. It also doesn’t offer terminal-to-terminal shipping, which is less expensive than door-to-door shipping.
Other Recommendations for Auto Shipping
While Easy Auto Ship might be a great option for your shipping needs, you should compare free quotes from other auto transport providers. In our review of the country’s top car shipping companies, AmeriFreight and Sherpa Auto Transport also stood out as highly reputable auto transport brokers.
AmeriFreight: Best for Discounts
One of the largest car shipping companies in the country, AmeriFreight works with over 10,000 carriers. AmeriFreight reviews speak highly of the company’s customer service and vast array of shipping options.
AmeriFreight holds an A+ rating from the BBB and an average score of 4.9 stars from over 1,000 customer reviews. Because AmeriFreight offers a number of savings opportunities—including for active-duty military, students, and first responders—we awarded the shipper the title of Best for Discounts.
You can learn more about the auto transport company in our AmeriFreight review.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Rates
Sherpa Auto Transport stands out in the shipping industry for its Price Lock Promise, which means the company will cover up to $300 of the difference if your shipment’s final price is more than your quote. The transport broker offers a variety of shipping services to the Lower 48 states, including options for luxury vehicles and classic cars.
Sherpa Auto Transport holds an A+ rating from the BBB. Customers on the BBB’s website also view the car shipper very favorably, giving Sherpa a near-perfect score of 4.9 stars out of 5.0.
Learn about the company’s locked-in pricing in our Sherpa Auto Transport review.
Additional Things to Consider When You Move
Choosing an auto transport company to trust with shipping your car to your new home is just one of the many decisions you may need to make when you’re planning to move. Whether you’re moving down the street or making a long-distance move, there’s a lot involved in that process.
Our reviews team created a guide to moving to help you understand that process and make it go more smoothly. Here are some things to consider when you’re moving:
- Creating a budget
- Planning your moving timeline
- Deciding between hiring movers or doing it yourself
- Buying or renting moving supplies
- Donating or selling furniture and other items you’re not taking to your new home
- Taking time off of work
- Asking friends and family to help you move
- Researching the area you’re moving to
- Preparing your children and pets for the move
- Changing your address and completing other administrative tasks
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for auto shipping service providers is based on four categories:
- Price (30% of total score): Many factors affect car transport rates. To determine our price score, we secret shop with providers across a variety of cars and routes.
- Services (25% of total score): Our team of experts looks at available services, guaranteed pickup and drop-off dates, and insurance coverage.
- Industry Standing (20% of total score): Providers with a high rating from the BBB score best in this category. Reputable providers with a history of reliable service and timeliness also receive strong marks.
- Customer Experience (25% of total score): We learn about consumer experiences by reading through reviews on sites, including the BBB. Auto shipping companies with a low volume of complaints score highest in this area.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.