Whether you’re part of Connecticut’s inbound or outbound migration, reliable, efficient movers can help keep your moving experience smooth and stress-free.
The This Old House Reviews Team researched the best moving companies in Connecticut, comparing providers on factors such as customer support and services available.
Top 5 Best Moving Companies in Connecticut
Through in-depth research, we determined that the best moving companies in CT are:
- International Van Lines: Best Overall Full-Service Mover
- American Van Lines: Most Experienced Moving Labor
- JK Moving: Most Customizable Full-Service Mover
- 1-800-PACK-RAT: Best Overall Self-Service
- PODS: Most Convenient
Each of the moving providers in this review was rated on factors such as services, customer service, and pricing. Because pricing can depend on when you move, the size of your move, and how much support you need, we recommend getting a quote from a few moving companies to get the most accurate moving estimates.
International Van Lines
International Van Lines has made moving easier for more than a million families over its 20 years in operation. This long-standing experience makes it the best full-service option, thanks to the company’s ability to manage almost any household move. Whether you’re relocating out of state or down the street, International Van Lines specializes in creating custom solutions to meet your moving needs.
The company’s white-glove services include:
- Air freight transport
- Warehousing and short- or long-term storage
- Auto and car shipping
- International moves to more than 180 countries
International Van Lines offers customers a lot of flexibility to build their own moving plan. Depending on availability, there are also budget-friendly options like piggybacking on empty truck space.
No matter what mix of services suits your needs, all International Van Lines’ pricing plans come complete with:
- Move coordination organized by a personal account representative
- Loading, transport, and unloading
- Released value protection coverage
- Loss and damage protection
Pros and Cons of International Van Lines
✔ Offers worldwide service availability in more than 180 countries
✔ Can transport specialty items like pianos, motorcycles, and antiques
✔ Has an award-winning customer service team and offers a live chat and 24/7 phone line support
✘ Some customer reviews report poor experiences with subcontractor services
✘ Requires a 25% deposit of the total cost of your move
✘ Standard liability coverage is low at 60 cents per pound per item; additional coverage costs extra
To receive a free quote from International Van Lines, fill out this simple online form to design your custom moving plan.
Learn More: International Van Lines Review
American Van Lines
American Van Lines manages a nationwide network of full-time professionals trained and certified to provide specialty white-glove service. On average, the company’s employees have 10 years of experience assisting with local, national, and international relocations.
Customers can opt for a full-service package that facilitates start-to-finish support, including professional furniture dismantling, packing, loading, and reassembly.
If you plan on doing your own packing, the company can provide the following:
- Partial-pack service to professionally handle fragile or difficult items
- Specialty-trained movers to transport items like fine art, pianos, and antiques
- Moving supplies, including custom boxes for items like dishes and mirrors
American Van Lines also operates private, climate-controlled storage facilities to store household items as needed during longer moving windows or home renovations. You can also expect binding pricing estimates—which means there are no expensive surprises come moving day.
Pros and Cons of American Van Lines
✔ Offers a binding, flat-rate price estimate
✔ Has a network of trained moving professionals
✔ Provides specialty services for moving expensive, fragile, or difficult items
✘ Requires a 10%–50% deposit up front
✘ Not available in Alaska or Hawaii
✘ Is more expensive than competitors on average
To receive a free quote from American Van Lines, fill out this simple online form.
Learn More: American Van Lines Review
JK Moving is one of the largest independent moving companies in the United States and accommodates a wide range of custom moving plans. Each customer works with a dedicated moving coordinator to create a tailored experience, which can include a mix of services like:
- Packing and unpacking—either full-service or partial packing of select belongings like large and fragile items
- A prepared moving kit with boxes, padding, and other supplies for DIY packing
- Loading and unloading services
- Long-term or interim storage options in climate-controlled units
- Moving specialty items like pianos and antiques by trained professionals
- Vehicle relocation for cars, trucks, and SUVs
- A choice between basic and comprehensive insurance coverage plans
JK Moving also stands out for its customer service. The company offers 24/7 customer support along with a mobile app that tracks your belongings via GPS. The app also supports hassle-free contact with your moving coordinator, payments, and upgrades like additional insurance coverage.
Pros and Cons of JK Moving
✔ Services all 50 states and most international destinations
✔ Offers live customer support and GPS shipment tracking via a mobile app
✔ Financing is available as low as 0%
✘ Local moves available only in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
✘ The quote process is thorough, so it can take some time to receive an estimate
✘ Cost estimates are non-binding and subject to change
Fill out this short online survey or call a JK Moving representative at 1-571-487-8929 for a personalized quote.
Learn More: JK Moving Review
1-800-PACK-RAT provides mobile, weatherproof containers that simplify do-it-yourself moves. The company delivers its all-steel unit(s) to your doorstep so you can pack and load your belongings at your own pace over a 30-day rental period. If it’s more convenient, you can keep your container at one of the company’s secure, climate-controlled storage facilities. When moving day arrives, 1-800-PACK-RAT’s team picks your container(s) up and delivers the container(s) to your destination.
While best-in-class for self-service moves, 1-800-PACK-RAT can also provide extra add-on support during the process and offers the following:
- The option to extend your container rental on a monthly basis for one flat fee
- Moving specialists to help coordinate long-distance moves
- Optional moving kits complete with supplies like boxes, moving blankets, tapes, locks, and mattress bags
- Access to its network of vetted moving professionals to handle jobs like packing, loading, unloading, and unpacking
- Insurance coverage options with up to $75,000 in protection
- Vehicle relocation for cars, recreational vehicles, and boats
1-800-PACK-RAT officially operates in Washington, D.C. and 30 states, including Connecticut. These physical locations serve local moves within about 100 miles, but the company’s extensive network can also accommodate many long-distance moves to areas without existing branches.
Pros and Cons of 1-800-PACK-RAT
✔ A $10,000 protection plan is included for long-distance moves with optional insurance upgrades
✔ Has a customer-friendly digital portal and provides access to a collection of moving resources
✔ Is the only provider with all-steel containers and barn-style doors
✘ Service availability may be limited based on your location
✘ Some customer reviews mention a confusing fee structure
✘ Doesn’t offer online booking
Get a free quote from 1-800-PACK-RAT by filling out this simple online form.
Learn More: 1-800-PACK-RAT Review
PODS—short for Portable On-Demand Storage—pioneered the use of shipping containers to support easier self-service moves. Reservations start at a minimum of 30 days, so there’s no rush to pack your belongings or unload at your new home. The containers’ roll-up doors also allow for ground-level access and more loading space than similar models.
The company prioritizes convenience throughout the moving process, offering flexible services that adapt to your moving plan, even if you need to make changes on the fly. Customers can:
- Choose from three container sizes
- Extend container reservations month by month with no limits
- Store belongings at home or at a PODS storage facility
- Modify or cancel a reservation for a full refund up to 24 hours in advance
Once you’re ready to schedule your move, simply choose your delivery and pickup dates for your PODS container through the company’s online dashboard.
Pros and Cons of PODS
✔ Is a convenient solution for moving at your own pace
✔ Offers straightforward, transparent pricing
✔ Provides long-term storage options
✘ Isn’t available in all states and has limited international service
✘ Services like packing and loading are available by referral only
✘ Supply is limited with containers often booked out months in advance
For a free, custom estimate from PODS, fill out this simple online form.
Learn More: PODS Review
Which is the Best Moving Company in CT for You?
According to a study on national moving patterns, Connecticut ranks fourth in terms of the number of people relocating out of state. Yet thanks to factors like a great education system, low crime rates, and a strong economy, Connecticut also ranks third nationwide for attracting new residents. The U.S. Postal Service found that in 2020, more than 27,000 people moved to the Constitution State from New York City alone.
Whether you’re moving within the state of Connecticut or relocating cross-country, every household move has its own unique needs. The distance you’re traveling, the size of your possessions, and how much work you’re willing to do yourself all impact which company can best support your moving plan.
For a hands-off, white-glove experience, full-service mover such as International Van Lines to streamline even the most complex relocations. If you’re worried about fragile, one-of-a-kind, or difficult-to-move items, American Van Lines offers moving support from professionals certified to handle your specialty belongings.
We recommend getting in touch with each of these top moving companies in Connecticut to compare each provider’s service offerings, costs, and ability to meet your moving needs.
Comparing the Top Moving Companies in Connecticut
|Provider||Free Estimate||Local||Long-Distance||Labor Included||Storage Services|
|Provider||Free Estimate||Local||Long-Distance||Labor Included||Storage Services|
|American Van Lines||Free Estimate||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|JK Moving||Free Estimate||✗||✔||✔||✔|
Other Considerations When Moving in Connecticut
Whether you’re moving to Connecticut or moving within the state, consider looking into other home services that could be helpful to you. For example, a home warranty can protect your major systems and appliances when they break and home insurance can protect your home’s structure in the event of a fire or other catastrophic event.
Here’s a full list of resources for Connecticut residents:
- Best Home Warranty Companies in Connecticut
- Best Home Security Companies in Connecticut
- Best Home Insurance Companies in Connecticut
- Best Pest Control Companies
- Best Lawn Care Services
Frequently Asked Questions About Moving Companies in Connecticut
How much do movers cost in Connecticut?
The total cost of your Connecticut move depends on variables like your moving distance, amount of household belongings, and level of support you’re after. In general, you can expect to pay between $500 and $2,500 if you’re moving within the state, while interstate relocation often starts at around $2,500.
What is the most affordable way to move to Connecticut?
Full-service moving options that include packing, loading, and unpacking support come at a premium cost. For the most affordable moving plan, you can cut costs by taking on the labor yourself and hiring a self-service moving company like PODS or 1-800-PACK-RAT. Because summer is the peak moving season in the U.S., moving during the winter is often more affordable.
How far in advance should I book a moving company?
In general, most companies recommend you reserve their services at least two months in advance of your moving date, especially if you’re planning to relocate over the summer. Depending on the level of demand in your area, some options—like self-service containers from PODS—require even longer lead times.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for moving service providers is on a 100-point scale based on seven factors:
- Moving Services (30): Does the company offer its services for local, long-distance, and or international moves?
- Additional Services (29): What additional services does the company provide, such as packing and unpacking or loading and unloading?
- Coverage (10): Does the company offer any additional insurance plans, such as full-value coverage?
- Scheduling (7): Are customers able to schedule online, over the phone, or on both platforms?
- Trailers/containers (7): How many trailer or container sizes does the company offer?
- Additional Benefits (12): What additional benefits does the company provide, such as storage options, moving truck rentals, and financing?
- Reputation (5): What rating does the company feature on popular review sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB)?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.