Certasun serves Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin homeowners with custom solar panel installation constructed with trusted SunPower products. The company provides three third-party financing options and protects each project with a SunPower 25-year Complete Confidence Warranty.
Keep reading to learn about Certasun’s solar equipment, installation process, and financing options to determine if this provider is the best solar company for your home.
If you’re considering solar for the first time, we recommend getting quotes from a few different providers before making a decision. Use this tool to get pricing and state incentives for your area.
Is Certasun Worth It?
Certasun offers homeowners a solar system built with quality panels and backed by a comprehensive warranty. Certasun’s A rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customized installation process make it a solid choice for Illinois and Wisconsin residents.
Compare the pros and cons of Certasun below.
|Protects solar installations through the SunPower Complete Confidence Warranty||Isn’t available nationwide|
|Offers a variety of third-party financing options||Doesn’t currently install solar batteries|
|Provides online consultations that walk each customer through custom design and proposal|
Certasun helps homeowners create their sustainable energy through a residential solar module installation. Certasun handles each solar project from start to finish and starts the process by providing a free quote.
- Quote—After you fill out a free online quote form, a Certasun solar consultant will schedule a virtual or in-home consultation to analyze your home’s energy needs and give a detailed solar estimate.
- Installation—Certasun professionals will handle all pre-installation inspections and approvals before construction. After the necessary paperwork is obtained, Certasun will begin the installation, which usually lasts between one and two days.
- Production—After your system is installed, Certasun will schedule your local utility provider to hook up your system to the electrical grid.
Note: Certasun doesn’t offer solar battery installation, but its systems are compatible with a variety of batteries that can be connected by a third-party installer.
Certasun Solar Panels
Certasun only installs SunPower Equinox solar systems because of their efficiency and sustainability. Each slim panel is designed to minimize visible lines and contour to your roof. SunPower solar panels come with a 25-year Complete Confidence Warranty that covers the following:
- Equipment—SunPower covers your solar panels, inverter, and racking. If you need to make a warranty claim, the company will pay for the replacement, labor, and shipping expenses.
- Solar panel degradation—SunPower guarantees that your system will experience no more than 0.25% degradation per year.
Certasun Purchasing Plans
Certasun partners with third-party lenders to give customers the choice of a cash purchase, loan, or lease.
There are two types of loans available to Certasun customers: bridge loans and term loans.
- Bridge loan—Bridge loans are available to customers who want to own their system but need a grace period between installation and when they receive the expected federal and state tax incentives. For example, if the price of your system is $25,000, you could put $10,000 down and use a bridge loan for the remaining balance. After your expected federal and state tax credits arrive, you would pay off the remainder of the balance. The loans require zero dollars down, and they last 12 or 18 months.
- Term loan—Term loans are similar to a mortgage, as customers pay a fixed monthly rate for the life of the loan. Term loan customers can pay off the loan at any time with no penalty.
Customers who enter into a lease don’t own their home solar system but make monthly payments to use generated power. Payments are monthly and fixed for the life of the lease, which is typically 20 years. At the end of the lease, customers can renew for up to 10 more years or choose to end the agreement.
Note: Customers who can purchase their solar system outright can experience immediate savings with no monthly payments.
Certasun is accredited by the BBB and holds an A rating from the company. Here’s a sample of the company’s BBB customer reviews:
“From the first sales online meeting until [the] final installation, the Certasun team was professional and thorough! Rodrigo and his team were very efficient and safe in their installation. Communications with the entire staff were prompt, reliable, and accurate with all information. A real pleasure to do business with Certasun!” — Dave Zimbrich
“Great customer service [and] good value. They were very quick and efficient with getting the necessary permits and approvals. Since [I] signed the contract, I didn’t have to do anything. They continually keep me updated on the progress, and everything was completed in a professional manner. Very pleased with the system (Sun Power) and the performance of Certasun! Thank you!” — Michel R.
Certasun offers a comprehensive solar installation process and provides flexible financing options to customers. Despite the company only being in business for a few years, Certasun provides homeowners in Illinois and Wisconsin with extensive solar services from a local provider.
If you’re interested in solar services from a quality company, get a free quote by filling out this easy online form.
|Provider||Certasun||Vivint Solar||Palmetto Solar|
|Solar services||Solar panel installation||Solar panel and battery back-up installation||Solar panel and battery back-up installation|
|Service areas||Illinois and Wisconsin||Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington D.C.||Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas|
|Panels offered||SunPower||N/A||LG, Silfab, Yingli|
|Warranty length||25-year equipment and power degradation warranty||10-year workmanship, 20-year power (lease and power purchase agreement plan only), 25-year linear performance warranty||25-year output warranty|
|Payment options||Buy, finance, lease||Buy, finance, lease, power purchase agreement||N/A|
- Company name: Certasun LLC
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Josh Lutton
- Years in business: 2
- Address: 1582 Barclay Boulevard, Buffalo Grove, Illinois 60089
- Phone: 312-500-7803
- Website: https://certasun.com/
Frequently Asked Questions About Certasun
What solar incentives are available in Illinois?
For solar systems installed in 2020, the federal tax incentive is 26% of the system’s price. In Illinois, you’ll earn solar renewable energy credits (SRECs) for the energy bought by your utility provider.
How long does it take to install my solar panels?
Certasun customers can expect the entire installation process to take 90 days. This process includes retrieving the proper permits, performing a home consultation, and creating a custom system design. The actual construction of your solar panels takes around two days.
How long will my Certasun solar system last?
Certasun equipment has an expected lifespan of around 40 years and comes with a 25-year labor and materials warranty.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.