- Richard recommends labeling the main water shutoff valve to make it easy to locate in an emergency.
- Water pump pliers are a good multipurpose plumbing tool. Richard recommends selecting a pair that opens wide enough.
- An adjustable open-end wrench allows for tightening and loosening without leaving behind marks.
- A basin wrench allows facuet nuts that are hard to access to be loosened and tightened.
- A screwdriver with multiple tips allows one tool to be used for many applications.
- A plunger is useful for clearing stopped toilets.
- For more difficult clogs, a closet auger can be used in toilets.
- A plumbing snake can clear clogged drainpipes.
- Identify a local plumber who can be called in an emergency and keep his number handy.
All of the tools and materials listed here can be found at a home center or plumbing supply store.