If you live in a large city, pests problems are bound to happen. Southeast Wisconsin and the Milwaukee area are no exception, with common pests like rodents, mice, and hornets. Getting a pest control plan can help ensure that your home and business remain pest-free.
The This Old House Reviews Team has researched and rated some of the best pest control companies on the market for you. Keep reading this round up to see how the top Milwaukee pest control companies compare on plans, prices, and services.
Top Pest Control Companies in Milwaukee
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Ewert Pest Control
- Elite Zenith Dominant Pest Control
- Batzner Pest Control
Best of the Best Milwaukee Pest Control Companies
We named Terminix “Best Overall” because of its affordable plans and top-tier specialty pest solutions. The company also has great customer service reviews. Get more details about Terminix by visiting the company’s website or by calling 866-569-4035.
We named Orkin “Best for Urgent Service” due to the company’s ability to provide same-day service when you call before 2 p.m. Visit Orkin online or call the company at 877-868-1416 to get more information.
Terminix has more than 90 years of experience and knowledge in the pest control industry. It offers a plan that protects against more than a dozen common household pests, and it provides specialty services like termite control and bed bug extermination. Terminix also has an online chat function so that you can easily contact a representative at any time.
✔ Serves 2.8 million residential and commercial customers across the United States
✔ Terminix’s team of pest control experts is composed of professional entomologists and members of the Entomological Society of America
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™ means Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments. The Nix & Fix Termite Guarantee™ means Terminix will treat your termite problem as well as repair any new termite damage during your plan.
Terminix’s general pest control plan includes free inspection, during which a technician will identify the source of your pest problem and perform an initial treatment. Over the course of a year, a technician will return three more times to address seasonal issues. The average cost for a general pest control plan is between $550–$700 per year.
Service areas: Allenton, Belgium, Brookfield, Brownsville, Butler, Campbellsport, Cedarburg, Cedar Grove, Chilton, Cleveland, Colgate, Delafield, Elkhart Lake, Fredonia, Germantown, Grafton, Hartford, Hartland, Hingham, Horicon, Hubertus, Hustisford, Iron Ridge, Jackson
We recommend that you get more detailed information about Terminix by getting a free quote from this simple form or by calling 866-569-4035.
Orkin offers services for 20 common pests. Orkin also provides termite control and management of stinging insects and rodents. With Orkin’s impressive response time, if you are someone who requires fast scheduling, then Orkin might be worth looking into.
✔ Technicians undergo a targeted 160-hour training before going out in the field
✔ If you call before 2 p.m. for service, you can receive service that same day
✔ Orkin’s website features a wide selection of online resources and tools
Orkin’s general pest control plan begins with a home inspection and includes several treatments over the course of a year. Orkin also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. The average cost of an annual Orkin plan is $575 per year.
Service areas: Brookfield, Burlington, Cedarburg, Cudahy, Elkhorn, Franklin, Germantown, Grafton, Hartford, Hartland, Kenosha, Lake Geneva, Menomonee Falls, Milwaukee, Mukwonago, Muskego, New Berlin, Oak Creek, Oconomowoc, Pewaukee, Pleasant Prairie, Racine, South Milwaukee, Sussex, Thiensville, Waterford, Waukesha
We suggest you get a free estimate from Orkin by completing this online form or by talking to a representative at 877-544-4104.
If you’re looking for customizable solutions, Aptive may be the pest control provider for you. It tailors treatments based on your specific pest control needs and services your home four times per year.
✔ Member of the EPA’s Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program
✔ Offers the Four-Seasons Protection Plan for all four seasons
✔ Technicians will address any issues between scheduled visits at no extra cost
Aptive’s quarterly service plan, called the Four-Seasons Protection Plan includes an inspection and four customized seasonal treatments. In general, a pest control plan from Aptive costs between $560 and $620 per year.
Service Areas: We were unable to confirm precise service areas in the Milwaukee area. Contact Aptive to see if service is available in your ZIP code.
4. Ewert Pest Control
Ewert Pest Control is a great choice of local pest control in the Milwaukee area. Ewert offers both commercial and residential pest control solutions.
Ewert offers services that are desirable to locals of Milwaukee specifically, such as bat removal, wildlife control, and mosquito control. Ewert also provides attic remediation services. The company employs certified technicians that use green, eco-friendly treatments that won’t harm people, plants, or pets.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
5. Elite Zenith Dominant Pest Control
Elite Zenith Dominant Pest Control is another local company that offers comprehensive service options for pest management. Elite helps with many common Milwaukee pests, including roaches, pigeons, ants, spiders, and flies, using eco-friendly pesticides. It also has available bed bug and termite services.
One unique offering from Elite is its Heat Remediation Method, which uses a giant thermal heater to rid your home of bed bugs without the use of chemicals. The company also allows Wounded Warrior Veterans to receive a 15% discount.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
6. Batzner Pest Control
Batzner has provided pest solutions for both homes and businesses in the Milwaukee area for more than 70 years. The company’s “pestfree365 program” is an affordable and effective pest control plan. The treatment plan covers 36 of the most common pests with three visits per year for both interior and exterior treatments.
In addition to providing bed bug solutions, Batzner also helps with wildlife trapping and relocation. Its website features a collection of resources to help you understand your pest issues better. Customers are also able to set up an autopay feature with Batzner.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||GoAptive.com|
|Our overall score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
* Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings are accurate as of April 2021.
All six pest control companies listed in this review are great options if you have a pest infestation in Milwaukee. We especially recommend Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive as the top-rated companies in the industry. All three companies offer a re-service guarantee and will return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix also offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Get a free quote from all three providers below.
Common Pests in Milwaukee
There is a wide variety of pests to watch out for in the Milwaukee area. These pests can range from flies to dangerous spiders and bats. To get a better idea of some pests you may expect a technician to help with, read over the list of common pests in Milwaukee below.
- Ants—Many types of ants are present in Milwaukee. Some, like carpenter ants, burrow through wood and can cause structural damage.
- Bats—Bats can also be a common issue throughout Milwaukee. They can hide in your attic and spread disease through their feces.
- Bed bugs—Bed bugs are found throughout the country but are more common in concentrated urban areas and tourist destinations. They can quickly infest your bedroom and other areas of your house if left untreated. We recommend seeking out a professional if you suspect a bed bug infestation.
- Cockroaches—These pests can enter your home through very small cracks and contaminate food. They can possibly spread diseases like salmonella.
- Flies—Flies are more than annoying. Some flies found throughout Milwaukee may carry diseases.
- Spiders—While many spiders are harmless, some spiders found in the Milwaukee area are actually quite dangerous. The northern widow and the brown recluse, for example, can require emergency medical treatment. Call a professional pest control company to get rid of spiders in your home.
- Stinging Insects—The most common type of hornet in Milwaukee and the surrounding areas is the bald-faced hornet.
- Termites—Termites can damage wooden structures and set homeowners back thousands of dollars in repairs.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Milwaukee
Having a routine pest control plan can keep you, your family and your friends safe from the harm posed by dangerous biting insects, disease-carrying rodents, and property-damaging termites.
But each kind of pest requires a different kind of treatment. Trying to manage them all on your own can be both expensive and time-intensive. It is a wise investment to have a company that already has access to all the necessary remedies. A trained, licensed expert can offer you peace of mind that the job will be done correctly, no matter how big or small.
How to Choose Pest Control in Milwaukee
There are a few different important factors to consider before deciding which pest control company is right for you. Read over some of the major points to know and consider before signing up with a pest management company here.
- Type of pests—Not all companies offer the same protection against the same types of pests. If you already know what pests are causing problems, make sure that the pest control company you hire works against those types of pests. But keep in mind that you may develop new pest problems over time.
- Cost—When evaluating the cost of pest control companies, consider what they charge and the types of pests they treat. Get free quotes from each company to get an idea of how they weigh different factors, like the length of a plan or the size of your home.
- Reputation—Reading about a company from expert reviews and customer rating sites like the Better Business Bureau can help give you a sense of whether a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy.
- Plan schedules—Not all plans are offered on the same schedule. We suggest at least a quarterly treatment plan. But you should consider if you’d prefer to receive service on a monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly basis.
- Guarantees—Check to see if the company offers guarantees, either work guarantees or money-back guarantees, to make sure you are happy with its work.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored them higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
Milwaukee Pest Control FAQs
What time of year is best for pest control?
We actually encourage you to get a year-round pest control plan. However, if you are looking for a one-time treatment, then the start of spring is an excellent time, as it is the breeding season for many types of pests.
What are common signs of termites?
Common signs of termites include mud tubes, hollow-sounding wood, the sound of termites hitting the interior of the wall, shed wings, and peeling paint.
Do roaches come out more after spraying?
Do not be alarmed if you see more cockroaches after your home has been sprayed. You may see more because they are attempting to avoid the treatment and survive. The treatment will run its course, though, and the roaches will be exterminated over time.
Does peppermint oil kill cockroaches?
Certain oils, like peppermint oil and other essential oils, can repel cockroaches. They will not necessarily kill them. The best way to exterminate cockroaches is to have a professional come to your house and treat it properly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at firstname.lastname@example.org.