Like many major cities, Washington, D.C. sees many different types of pest problems. With the DMV’s dense population and active tourism, rodents and bed bugs are common pests that infest D.C. homes. Having a pest control plan can prevent infestations and keep your home pest-free.
There are so many options for pest control companies in the Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Northern Virginia area that it might get difficult trying to figure out which is best for you and your home. That is why our Reviews Team has researched and ranked the best pest control companies in the country. To help with your own research, read this review that will cover each company’s plans and services.
Top Pest Control Companies in Washington, D.C.
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Capitol Pest
- BioTech Pest Management
- Nest Pest Control Washington DC
Best of the Best D.C. Pest Control Companies
Terminix is our top choice in pest control thanks to its top-tier specialty pest solutions at affordable prices, comprehensive offerings, and online tools. Visit Terminix’s website or call 866-569-4035 to get a free estimate.
Orkin has one of the fastest response times. Customers can receive same-day service when they call before 2 p.m. If you value fast response time, visit Orkin online or call 877-868-1416 to get more information.
Terminix has been in the pest control industry for more than 90 years. With its extensive experience, the company offers general pest control, targeted treatments for bed bugs and termites, plans that involve both interior and exterior pest management. Customers also get access to many useful online tools, like an online instant chat feature.
✔ Crawl space and attic services are available
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™ means Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments
✔ Guarantees year-round inspections as long as you keep a plan
Terminix’s general pest control plan begins with a free inspection, during which a technician will identify the source of your infestation and perform an initial treatment. Over the course of a year, a technician will return three more times to address seasonal pest issues. If your pests return between treatments, Terminix will quickly re-service your home, free of charge. Terminix also has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Terminix’s annual plans cost roughly $550–$700.
Service Areas: Washington, Washington Navy Yard, Waldorf, Abell, Accokeek, Aquasco, Avenue, Barstow, Bel Alton, Benedict, Brandywine, Broomes Island, Bryans Road, Bryantown, Bushwood, California, Callaway, Chaptico, Charlotte Hall, Cheltenham, Clements, Cobb Island, Coltons Point, Compton
Learn more about Terminx’s offerings by filling out this simple form or calling 866-569-4035.
Orkin offers protection against 20 common pests through a range of pest control services, including a general pest control plan, targeted termite treatment and monitoring, rodent control, and bed bug extermination. Orkin’s same-day service guarantee is an excellent perk with the company. If you call before 2 p.m., you receive service that day.
✔ Basic pest control plan already covers nearly 20 common household pests
✔ If you call before 2 p.m., you can receive service that same day
✔ Every customer receives a six-step plan, called Points of Service that technicians follow
Like Terminix, Orkin’s general pest control plan begins with a home inspection and includes several treatments over the course of a year. Orkin also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Yearly treatment plans from Orkin cost around $575 per year.
Service Areas: Alexandria, Annapolis, Arlington, Beltsville, Bowie, Burke, Capitol Heights, Clinton, Crofton, District Heights, Fort Washington, Greenbelt, Herndon, Hyattsville, Lanham, Laurel, Mc Lean, Mechanicsville, Oxon Hill, Riverdale, Springfield, Suitland, Temple Hills, Upper Marlboro, Waldorf, Washington, Woodbridge
We suggest you get a free quote from Orkin by completing this short form or by calling 877-868-1416.
Aptive offers customizable pest control solutions to customers at affordable prices. The company also partners with the Environmental Protection Agency on eco-friendly initiatives and donates to malaria charities worldwide.
✔ Works with charitable organizations like the United Nations’ Nothing But Nets campaign to help stop the spread of malaria
✔ Is a member of the EPA’s Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program
✔ Is the eighth-largest pest control provider in the country
Aptive offers a quarterly service plan for its customers, called the Four-Seasons Protection Plan. This service includes an inspection and four customized seasonal treatments. Additionally, its technicians will address any issues between scheduled visits at no extra cost. Aptive’s year-long treatment plan costs about $560–$620 per year.
Service Areas: We were unable to confirm precise service areas in the Washington, D.C. area. Contact Aptive to see if service is available in your ZIP code.
4. Capitol Pest
Capitol Pest is a great local option for Washington, D.C. pest control services. Capitol Pest works with homes and businesses with industry-standard services like cockroach control and rodent control.
Capitol offers four different year-long pest control service plans. Its base-level plan, The Bronze Plan, covers over 37 pests including ants, cockroaches, flies, occasional invaders, inside rodents, and stinging insects. Capitol’s website also features a useful pest library to help customers better understand their pest situation.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
5. BioTech Pest Management
If you value having direct contact with a specialized team, then look to BioTech Pest Management. BioTech is a small team of experts in rodent and pest management. In fact, BioTech’s owner Clifford manages every job to ensure customer satisfaction is achieved.
The company offers free inspections alongside customized routine treatment plans that utilize Integrated Pest Management (IPM) principles. IPM is an environmentally friendly approach to pest control. BioTech can help with pests including ants, bed bugs, centipedes, spiders, and more.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
6. Nest Pest Control Washington DC
Nest Pest Control offers scheduled regular services in Washington, D.C. for many common pests. Some of its unique offerings include beehive removal and wildlife relocation. Nest Pest Control strives to provide same-day service, and it can also assist with commercial pest control. Nest Pest Control can provide many specialty services that are in high demand in pest control, such as bed bug extermination, rodent control, termite control, and flea treatments.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||GoAptive.com|
|Our overall score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
* Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings are accurate as of April 2021.
When it comes to pest control in D.C., each company listed here is a great choice. We recommend Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive as the top-rated companies in the industry. All three of these providers offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix even offer to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
Get instant estimates from each of these providers below.
Common Pests in D.C.
Like other major cities, Washington, D.C. experiences a variety of pest problems. Some can be dangerous to your health and your family. Others can even cause structural damage to your home. Check out some of the most common pests in the Washington, D.C. area below.
- Ants—Though many types of ants are common in the D.C. area, keep your eye out for carpenter ants and acrobat ants. Carpenter ants can cause structural damage to your home, and acrobat ants can emit an unpleasant odor when distrubed.
- Bed bugs—Bed bugs can be found throughout the country but are especially prevalent in popular tourist areas. They can quickly infest your bedroom and other areas of your house if left untreated. Professional treatment is highly recommended.
- Cockroaches—These pests can enter your home through very small cracks and contaminate food. They can possibly spread diseases like salmonella.
- Flies—Some flies found throughout D.C. may carry diseases.
- Crickets—These noisy insects do not pose much of a threat, but they do cause plenty of noise and annoyance in your home.
- Rodents—Found in many large cities like D.C., rats and mice eat through packages of food, leave droppings, and chew through electrical wires and insulation. They often enter your home through small cracks and spaces to build a nest.
- Stinging Insects—Stinging insects, like hornets, are found throughout D.C. Carpenter bees are especially troublesome and can cause structural damage to your home.
- Termites—Termites can damage wooden structures and set homeowners back thousands of dollars in repairs.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in D.C.
Different pests require different kinds of treatment. A licensed and insured pest control technician has the experience, expertise, and tools to handle many types of pest infestations.
A routine maintenance plan can also prevent pests from making your home theirs, safeguarding your peace of mind and saving you time and money in the long run.
How to Choose Pest Control in D.C.
There are some major points to think about before picking a pest control company. Read over some of the most important factors to know and consider before you commit to a company here.
- Type of pests—Each company offers different general pest control plans based on both the number and specific types of pests covered. If you already know what pests are causing problems, then make sure that the pest control company you hire works against those types of pests.
- Cost—Some companies are more expensive than others but offer more coverage and unique services. If your needs are less extensive, choosing a simpler plan may save you money.
- Reputation—Reading about a company from expert reviews can help give you a sense of whether a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy.
- Plan schedules—Look into plans that are offered at intervals you’d prefer—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc. We suggest at least a quarterly treatment plan.
- Guarantees— Check to see if the company offers guarantees, as it is a sign of good customer service.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
D.C. Pest Control FAQs
What time of year is best for pest control?
We encourage you to look into an annual plan that provides pest service year-round. If you are looking to just have a one-time service, early Spring is an ideal time. This prevents many common pests from entering your home just as the season starts.
How do I prepare for pest control treatment?
It is a good idea to clean your house, scrubbing and vacuuming, before a pest control technician arrives. You also want to cover and protect any food left outside of the fridge or pantry, and make sure that any clothes are packed away safely. You may also want to pull large furniture away from touching walls.
Be sure to check with your pest control provider to see what additional steps they suggest you take before treatment.
Is it safe to be in the house after pest control?
This varies according to the type of treatment your home receives. Typically, pest control companies use treatment that requires you to stay out of your home for two to four hours. Other treatments, like fugimaton, might require you to stay out for 24 hours.
Check with your pest control provider to make sure you know how long you should stay out of your home to remain safe.
Are Terminix inspections really free?
Terminix offers free inspections, unless the inspection is for a real estate transaction.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.