Whether it is mice and rats or ants and roaches, Raleigh and its surrounding suburbs can experience a variety of household pests. A pest control plan can protect your home from infestation and damage, and there are many options for pest control service in the Raleigh area.
The This Old House Reviews Team is here to do the research for you. We have examined and reviewed some of top pest control companies in the country. Keep reading this review to learn more about each company’s plans and prices.
Top Pest Control Companies in Raleigh
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Moxie Pest Control - Raleigh
- Triangle Pest Control
- Bulwark Exterminating
Best of the Best Raleigh Pest Control Companies
Terminix is our top pick for pest control in Raleigh. It offers top-tier specialty pest solutions at affordable prices with comprehensive treatment plans. Get an instant quote from Terminix’s website or call it at 866-569-4035.
Orkin features one of the fastest response times with its same-day service option. Get more details from Orkin online or call it at 877-868-1416.
Terminix has more than 90 years of experience in pest control services. Its customers get access to useful online resources and tools. We find its online chat feature to be highly useful for communication with the company.
✔ Crawl space and attic services are available
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™ means Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments
✔ Helps 2.8 million customers across the United States for homes and businesses
Terminix offers comprehensive treatment plans, and it provides specialty services like termite control and bed bug extermination. General pest control plans begin with a free inspection, during which your technician will identify the source of your infestation and perform an initial treatment. Over the course of a year, a technician will return an additional three times to address seasonal pest issues.
A yearly plan with Terminix cost roughly $550–$700.
Service Areas: Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham, Millbrook, Neuse, North Raleigh, Northeast Raleigh, Pittsboro, Cary, Wake Forest, Clayton, Knightdale, Apex, Garner, Holly Springs, Auburn, Wilders Grove
We suggest you see what Terminix can do for you by completing this simple form or by calling 866-569-4035.
Orkin has been a household name in pest control for over a century. It strives to use cutting-edge technology, and its pest control specialists must undergo 160 hours of targeted training. The company serves more than 1.7 million residential and commercial customers worldwide and supplies plenty of online resources and tools.
✔ Technicians undergo 160-hours of training before going out in the field
✔ 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Every customer receives a six-step plan, called Points of Service that technicians must follow
Orkin offers a range of pest management services, including a quarterly pest control plan, specialty termite treatment and monitoring, rodent control, and bed bug extermination. Orkin’s same-day service guarantee is especially impressive. If you call before 2 p.m., you receive service that day.
An annual plan with Orkin costs on average about $575 per year.
Service Areas: Angier, Apex, Cameron, Cary, Chapel Hill, Clayton, Dunn, Durham, Fuquay Varina, Garner, Henderson, Hillsborough, Holly Springs, Knightdale, Louisburg, Morrisville, Oxford, Pittsboro, Raleigh, Roxboro, Sanford, Smithfield, Wake Forest, Wendell, Willow Spring, Youngsville, Zebulon
We encourage you to get an instant, detailed quote from Orkin by filling out this online form or by calling 877-868-1416.
Aptive is a relative newcomer, but we believe it’s the most customizable pest control company in the industry. The company also makes a commitment to the communities it serves. It partners with the Environmental Protection Agency on education initiatives and donates to malaria charities worldwide.
✔ Involved in charitable programs like the United Nations’ Nothing But Nets campaign to help stop the spread of malaria
✔ Offers the Four-Seasons Protection Plan for year-round treatment
✔ Its technicians will tackle any pest issues between scheduled visits at no extra cost
Aptive’s customizable quarterly service plan, called the Four-Seasons Protection Plan, includes an inspection and four tailored seasonal treatments. Aptive’s year-long treatment plan costs about $560–$620 per year.
Service Areas: We were unable to confirm precise service areas in the Raleigh-Durham area. Contact Aptive to see if service is available in your ZIP code.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Moxie Pest Control - Raleigh
Moxie has been in the pest control industry since 2001. Though the company has locations across the country, its Raleigh locations are highly regarded and well-received. Moxie provides pest control services against many common pests in North Carolina, such as spiders, mosquitoes, termites, ticks, and more. Its general pest package includes year-round tackles most common pests.
You are also able to receive add-on services for more extensive pest infestations like termites, moles, rodents, and gophers. Moxie also provides commercial pest control services, so you can protect both your home and business.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Triangle Pest Control
Triangle Pest Control provides pest management services throughout the Research Triangle area. Customers can receive same-day service if they call before noon. The company works against 20 common pests, has 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, and includes an unlimited warranty.
Triangle Pest Control offers three different treatment plans. Its middle-tier plan, HealthyHome Plus™, includes termite protection. The company offers crack and crevice treatment with tri-annual exterior service. The company also makes sure that each plan includes products that are pet-friendly, eco-safe, and less toxic than table salt.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Bulwark Exterminating helps Raleigh homeowners get rid of spiders, roaches, rats, and more. Bulwark features an easy online quote process, a useful online pest library, and it claims its products are less toxic than toothpaste. Bulwark also has a re-service guarantee. The company will re-service your home for free if you see a pest alive 48 hours after a treatment.
Bulwark is familiar with the Raleigh areas and its common pests like ants, clover mites, ticks, centipedes, crickets, and June bugs. The company not only focuses on extermination of pests, but it works to provide preventative measures for future infestations.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||GoAptive.com|
|Our overall score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
* Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings are accurate as of April 2021.
All of these companies are great choices if you live in Raleigh and the surrounding areas. We recommend Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive as the top-rated companies. All three offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix even offer to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
Get an instant quote and more details from all three providers below.
Common Pests in Raleigh
Nestled between beautiful mountains and wilderness, Raleigh experiences a variety of pest issues. Often, pests in the region are not dangerous. Some pests can pose a threat to either your home’s integrity or your loved ones’ health. Read over which pests you may need to take measure to prevent an infestation:
- Ants—Ants are common throughout North Carolina, and you will often find harmless soil ants around the region. Some ants, like fire ants and carpenter ants, are more troublesome. For example, carpenter ants can cause structural damage to your home.
- Bed bugs—These bugs can quickly infest your bedroom and other areas of your house if left untreated. Professional treatment is highly recommended.
- Cockroaches—These pests can enter your home through very small cracks and contaminate food. They can possibly spread diseases like salmonella.
- Rodents—Rodents and mice eat through packages of food, leave droppings, and chew through electrical wires and insulation. They often enter your home through small spaces to build a nest.
- Spiders— Daddy long-legs spiders, also known as cellar spiders, are a common non-threatening sight throughout Raleigh and Chapel Hill. However, the region is also plagued by the much more harmful black widow spider.
- Stinging Insects—Stinging insects, like paper wasps, yellow jackets and carpenter bees, are found throughout Raleigh and the surrounding suburbs. Carpenter bees are especially concerning as they are a wood-destroying species that can cause structural damage to your home.
- Termites—Termites can damage wooden structures and set homeowners back thousands of dollars in repairs.
- Ticks—These bloodsuckers reside in tall grasses, dense vegetation, ditches, along ponds, fence lines, and the edges of woods. Ticks can spread dangerous diseases, such as Lyme disease.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Raleigh
A routine pest control plan is a great investment for Raleigh homeowners. It can give you peace of mind by protecting your family from medical emergencies and diseases. It can also protect the structure of your home from pest-related damage.
Each type of pest requires a different type of treatment. It is useful to have a licensed and insured professional with easy access to all the treatments required. Rest assured a pest control plan keeps your home pest-free while saving you time and money.
How to Choose Pest Control in Raleigh
When picking which pest control company is right for you, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. To help you keep track of those major points, we have listed them below.
- Type of pests—Each company offers different general pest control plans based on both the number and specific types of pests covered. If you already know what pests are causing problems, then make sure that the company you hire works against those types of pests.
- Cost—Some companies are more expensive than others, but they typically offer more coverage and unique services. If you require only a simple plan, this could be an opportunity to save money on your pest control plan. Keep in mind that company’s factor in things like the size of your home, the size of the infestation, and the type of pest when calculating cost.
- Reputation—Reading about a company from expert reviews can help give you a sense of whether a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy. You can also use customer review sites like TrustPilot and the Better Business Bureau to get a realistic picture of each company’s customer service.
- Plan schedules— Make sure that services are offered at the intervals you’d prefer—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc. We suggest at least a quarterly treatment plan.
- Guarantees—Check to see if the company offers guarantees, as it is a sign of good customer service.
Raleigh Pest Control FAQs
How often should I get my house sprayed for bugs?
Spray treatment just once a year helps keep your home pest free in most instances. However, you should ask your pest control provider how often they believe your home requires spray treatment.
Should I call pest control for bed bugs?
We strongly advise calling in a professional for a bed bug infestation. While there are a few DIY treatments you can try, getting a professional to use a heat or chemical treatment will be more effective.
What is the main cause of bed bugs?
Travel is one of the major causes of bed bug infestations. Bed bugs can hitch a ride in your suitcase or on the clothes of your family members or houseguests. Once they are in your home, bed bugs build nests in your home.
How do I control ticks in my yard?
Proper landscaping and lawn care are your first line of defense against ticks.
- Mow the lawn often.
- Cut tall grass or bushes down to a manageable height.
- Create three-foot wood chip or gravel barriers between wooded areas, patios, and pavement.
- Stack cut wood neatly in a dry area.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.