Salt Lake City experiences a variety of pest problems. Many are simple like an ant infestation. But some can get tricky, such as having a skunk on your property. Having a routine pest control treatment plan can not only get rid of pests, it can also help you avoid getting them in the first place.
The This Old House Reviews team has done the research for you. We have rated some of the best pest control companies in the country on metrics such as plan options, trustworthiness, and customer service. Read this roundup to see how each company compares when it comes to overall cost and routine plans.
Top Pest Control Companies in Salt Lake City
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- EcoShield Pest Control
- Pest Pro Pest Control
Best of the Best Salt Lake City Pest Control Companies
Terminix is our pick for best overall pest control company due to its excellent specialty service, comprehensive plans, and high customer satisfaction rates. To get more information about Terminix visit its website or call it at 866-569-4035.
Orkin features top-tier technology and an impressive response time. See what other benefits Orkin offers by visiting it online or by calling it at 877-868-1416.
Terminix has been in the pest control industry for nearly a century. The company offers general pest control, targeted treatments for bed bugs and termites, and options to manage dozens of other pests at affordable rates. Customers also get access to many useful online tools, like an online instant chat feature.
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™ means Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments
✔ Serves 2.8 million customers across the United States
✔ Offers free termite inspections
Terminix will begin your general pest control plan with a free inspection, during which your technician will identify the source of your infestation and perform an initial treatment. Over the course of a year, a technician will return an additional three times to address seasonal pest issues. If your pests return between treatments, Terminix will quickly re-service your home, free of charge. Terminix also provides a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Terminix’s annual treatment plans tend to cost around $550–$700.
Service Areas: American Fork, Alpine, Eagle Mountain, Bingham Canyon, South Jordan, Bountiful, Cedar Valley, Centerville, Clearfield, Coalville, Croydon, Draper, Duchesne, Farmington, Grantsville, Hanna, Heber City, Henefer, Kamas, Kaysville, Layton, Lindon, Lehi, Magna
Learn more about Terminix plan offerings by filling out this easy-to-use form or by calling 866-569-4035.
Orkin has been a household name in pest control for generations, thanks to its superior expertise. Its pest control specialists must undergo 160 hours of targeted training, and the company serves more than 1.7 million residential and commercial customers worldwide.
✔ 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Technicians undergo 160-hours of training before going out in the field
✔ Basic pest control plan covers nearly 20 common household pests
Orkin can manage up to 20 common household pests. It offers a range of pest control services, including a general pest control plan, targeted termite treatment and monitoring, rodent control, and bed bug extermination. Orkin’s same-day service guarantee is an excellent perk with the company. If you call before 2 p.m., you receive service that day.
Like Terminix, Orkin’s general pest control plan begins with a home inspection and includes several treatments over the course of a year. On average, a yearly plan with Orkin costs around $575 per year.
Service Areas: American Fork, Bountiful, Clearfield, Draper, Eagle Mountain, Herriman, Kaysville, Layton, Lehi, Logan, Midvale, Ogden, Orem, Park City, Pleasant Grove, Provo, Riverton, Rock Springs, Roy, Salt Lake City, Sandy, South Jordan, Spanish Fork, Springville, Syracuse, Tooele, West Jordan
We suggest that you visit Orkin and complete this online form to learn more about its services. You can also call the company at 877-868-1416.
Aptive is the eight-largest pest control provider in the United States. Overall, we give Aptive a score of 91 out of 100 and believe it’s the most customizable pest control company in the industry. The company also makes a commitment to the communities it serves. It partners with the Environmental Protection Agency on education initiatives and donates to malaria charities worldwide.
✔ Eighth-largest pest control company in the country
✔ Works with the United Nations’ Nothing But Nets campaign to help stop the spread of malaria
✔ Technicians will address any issues between scheduled visits free of charge
Aptive offers a customizable quarterly service plan for its customers, called the Four-Seasons Protection Plan. This service includes an inspection and four tailored seasonal treatments, ensuring your home is protected from pests year-round. Aptive’s year-long treatment plan costs about $560–$620 per year.
Service Areas: We were unable to confirm precise service areas in Salt Lake City. Contact Aptive to see if service is available in your ZIP code.
4. EcoShield Pest Control
EcoShield Pest Control is a local company that strives to provide eco-friendly and green pest solutions. EcoShield offers services for 11 different types of pests, including baiting, trapping, wall injection, crack treatment, entry point treatment, granulation, precision treatment, and more.
Its annual plans, which it offers at a $100 discount, aim to maintain a barrier between pests and your house year-round. EcoShield also provides commercial pest control services.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Edge offers many industry-standard pest services through a user-friendly website. Edge’s pest protection program offers protection against ants, spiders, cockroaches, wasps, mice, and voles. Customers can also upgrade their plan to feature protection against rats and moles. Edge also offers specialty services against bed bugs, mosquitoes, fleas, and cockroaches.
Edge claims that 80% of its customers are serviced within 24 hours of contacting it. The company’s products are child- and pet-friendly, and it provides a re-service guarantee. Edge can also provide commercial pest services.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
6. Pest Pro Pest Control
Pest Pro Pest Control is another great local option in the Salt Lake City area. Offering services for both homes and businesses, Pest Pro offers protection against common pests throughout Utah. The company also provides an online pest library to help customers learn more about their pest issues.
Pest Pro offers inspection and treatment, and it then provides follow-up treatments on a bi-monthly or quarterly basis. Specialty services include bed bug control, bird control, termite control, and wildlife control. You can find Pest Pro’s easy quote and inspection request process online, as well as a detailed blog.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||GoAptive.com|
|Our overall score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
* Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings are accurate as of April 2021.
All three offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix even offer to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
Get instant estimates from each of these providers below.
Common Pests in Salt Lake City
Alongside Utah’s legendary wilderness and breathtaking scenery comes the problem of pests entering your home. While some Salt Lake City area pests, such as squirrels, are not a danger, others may cause serious illness or medical emergencies. These include venomous spiders. Read more about the most common pests in the area:
- Ants—Ants can be found throughout the United States, including Utah. Utahns should look out for carpenter ants, which can cause damage to your home’s structure, and fire ants, which have a painful bite.
- Bed bugs—These nighttime biters can quickly infest your bedroom and other areas of your house if left untreated. Professional treatment is highly recommended for these bugs.
- Cockroaches—These pests can enter your home through small cracks and openings. They contaminate food, and they can possibly spread diseases like salmonella.
- Moles—These burrowing underground pests can cause potential damage to your home’s pipes and they can ruin your yard and gardens.
- Rodents— Rats and mice eat through packages of food, leave droppings, and chew through electrical wires and insulation. They often enter your home through small spaces to build a nest.
- Racoons—Racoons can spread diseases to humans. Some common draws for a racoon include open trash cans, dumpsters, compost bins, pet food bowls, and gardens.
- Spiders—Most spiders found throughout Salt Lake City are not dangerous, like hobo spiders. But some may cause serious medical issues, such as the black widow.
- Stinging Insects—Stinging insects, like paper wasps and mud daubers, are found throughout Salt Lake City. Sometimes their stings can cause an allergic reaction that requires emergency medical attention.
- Termites—Termites can damage wooden structures and set homeowners back thousands of dollars in repairs.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Salt Lake City
Investing in a licensed and insured professional pest control company can help you avoid illness, disease, and structural damage to your home. Different types of pests require different kinds of treatments, and a professional pest technician has easy access to every kind of treatment needed. In short, a routine pest treatment plan helps you save both money and time.
How to Choose Pest Control in Salt Lake City
There are various factors to consider when trying to figure out which pest control company is the best choice for you and your family. Since there are so many major points to keep in mind, we have listed them out for you below.
- Type of pests—Each company offers different general pest control plans based on both the number and specific types of pests covered. If you already know what pests are causing problems, make sure that the pest control company you hire works against those types of pests.
- Cost—Factors like the size of your home, its location, and the type of pests affect the overall cost of pest control services. Some companies are more expensive than others, but they typically offer more coverage and unique services. Check and see if an annual plan comes with any additional discounts as well.
- Reputation—Reading expert reviews and customer reviews can help give you a sense of whether a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy.
- Plan schedules—Look into plans that are offered at the intervals you’d prefer—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc. We suggest at least a quarterly treatment plan.
- Guarantees—Service and money-back guarantees are a sign of good customer service.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness and problem-solving ability.
- We update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem requires specific prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Your location determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees more trustworthy and therefore score them higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies that provide information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and offer other benefits were given higher ratings.
Salt Lake City Pest Control FAQs
How often do you need pest control?
We recommend that you receive pest control about every two to three months. Most annual plans will provide pest control about four times a year.
Why do I have roaches?
Just because you have roaches does not mean your house is dirty. Cockroaches are a common issue throughout major cities and households everywhere. Their presence in your home simply means they found some food or water nearby.
What attracts black widow spiders?
Typically, stacks of wood, tall grass, or any other debris that may be a good spot for a black widow to build a home. If you have an insect problem in your home, then you may get some black widows as well.
How long does pest control take to work?
You will start to notice reduced pest activity after a treatment in roughly one to two days.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.