The Los Angeles area is known to have many common pest problems similar to any city that large. A pest management company helps make sure that homes and businesses do not experience any potentially dangerous or annoying pest infestations. There are so many options for pest control in Los Angeles though that it can get overwhelming trying to figure out which company is best for your home and family.
That is why the This Old House Reviews Team has worked to research and rank the best pest control companies in the country. In this round-up, we will help you learn about some of the top options for pest control in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas. Keep reading to learn more about each company’s service and plans.
Top Pest Control Companies in Los Angeles, CA
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Ronin Pest Control
- Dewey Pest Control
- Tanler Termite and Pest Control
Best of the Best Los Angeles Pest Control Companies
We named Terminix Best Overall because Terminix offers everything a customer looks for in a pest control service: great customer reviews, online chat features and tools, and an affordable combination of industry-standard and specialty pest services. Learn more about Terminix by visiting the company’s website or by calling 866-569-4035.
We named Orkin Best for Urgent Service due to the company’s ability to provide same-day service when you call before 2 p.m. If you want a fast response-time, visit Orkin online or call the company at 877-868-1416.
Aptive earned the title Most Customizable due to its comprehensive plans that are tailored to your specific pest control needs.
1. Best Overall: Terminix
For more than 90 years, Terminix has provided customers interior and exterior inspection and extermination services at affordable rates. Terminix offers general pest control, targeted treatments for bed bugs and termites, and options to manage dozens of other pests.
✔ Offers free inspection and 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™, means Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments
✔ Employees include graduate-level entomologists and members of the Entomological Society of America
Terminix will begin your general pest control plan with a free inspection, during which your technician will identify the source of your infestation and perform an initial treatment. Over the course of a year, a technician will return an additional three times to address seasonal pest issues. If your pests return between treatments, Terminix will quickly re-service your home, free of charge.
An annual plan with Terminix typically runs from $550–$700.
Service Areas: Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Compton, Culver City, Huntington Park, Lawndale, Malibu, Maywood, Pacific Palisades, Topanga, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, Inglewood, Santa Monica, Torrance, Montebello, Pico Rivera, Altadena, Arcadia, La Canada Flintridge, Monrovia, Montrose
We recommend that you get more details on Terminix by filling out this easy-to-use form or speaking to a representative at 866-569-4035.
2. Best for Urgent Service: Orkin
Orkin has been tackling pest problems nationwide for more than 100 years. Its pest control specialists must undergo 160 hours of targeted training, and the company serves more than 1.7 million residential and commercial customers worldwide.
✔ 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ More than a century in the industry servicing 1.7 million customers across the country
✔ Website features a selection of online resources and tools
Orkin offers a range of pest control services, including a general pest control plan, targeted termite treatment and monitoring, rodent control, and management of stinging insects. Like Terminix, Orkin’s general pest control plan begins with a home inspection and includes several treatments over the course of a year. The average cost of an annual plan with Orkin is about $575 per year.
Orkin stood out to us for its flexibility when scheduling appointments and impressive response time. Orkin customers can receive same-day service if they call before 2 p.m.
Service Areas: Beverly Hills, Culver City, El Segundo, Glendale, Inglewood, Los Angeles, Marina Del Rey, Pacific Palisades, Playa Del Rey, Playa Vista, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Universal City, Venice, West Hollywood
We encourage you to learn more about Orkin and get a free estimate by completing this online form or by calling 877-868-1416.
3. Most Customizable: Aptive
Aptive is the eight-largest pest control provider in the United States. Overall, we give Aptive a score of 91 out of 100 and believe it’s the most customizable pest control company in the industry.
✔ Member of the EPA’s Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program
✔ Offers the Four-Seasons Protection Plan for all four seasons
✔ Its technicians will address any issues between scheduled visits at no extra charge to customers
Aptive offers a customizable quarterly service plan for its customers, called the Four-Seasons Protection Plan. This service begins with an inspection and assessment to tailor treatments to match your specific pest control needs. Aptive’s year-long treatment plan costs about $560–$620 per year.
4. Ronin Pest Control
Ronin Pest Control provides services for 23 common pests throughout the Los Angeles area, including termite control and rodent control. All of Ronin’s technicians are licensed and certified by the Structural Pest Control Board.
Ronin strives to keep up to date with modern techniques, new developments, and product effectiveness. The company offers free pest infestation evaluation, one-time extermination, and monthly maintenance plans.
Quotes for this provider are not available through This Old House.
5. Dewey Pest Control
Dewey Pest Control offers many industry standard pest solutions throughout Los Angeles and its surrounding suburbs. Dewey customers receive help with ants, bees, fleas, spiders, roaches, bed bugs, beetles, ticks, and more. Dewey also helps with gophers, mice, and rats. The company offers both residential pest control and commercial pest control services, and customers can pay for their plans easily online.
Quotes for this provider are not available through This Old House.
6. Tanler Termite and Pest Control
Tanler Termite and Pest Control is another great option for pest control local to Los Angeles. Tanler offers termite inspection and extermination, rodent control, bed bug control, wasp control, and more.
One of Tanler’s unique features is its emphasis on TAP insulation. This stands for Thermal Acoustical Pest Control. It helps maintain your home’s safety from pests through your home’s insulation itself.
Quotes for this provider are not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||GoAptive.com|
|Our overall score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
* Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings are accurate as of April 2021.
To rid your home of bugs and keep it pest-free, we recommend a routine, year-round pest control plan for all Angelenos.
There are good local pest control options available to provide a personal touch. But these may not have the years of experience and expertise that our top-rated national providers, Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive, offer.
Common Pests in Los Angeles
Los Angeles experiences many of the same pests you would expect in larger cities, such as rats and cockroaches. The city also experiences a few pests that are unique to the area. Read over some of the most common types of pest in Los Angeles below.
- Ants—Ants are one of the most common pests in the country. They take over your house by building colonies and going after crumbs and trash in your kitchen. Some types of ants, like carpenter ants, can eat through the wood in your home and cause structural damage.
- Bed bugs—Bed bugs can infest entire rooms of your home if not treated properly. These nocturnal bloodsuckers are notoriously difficult to get rid of on your own and are very common in Los Angeles.
- Cockroaches—Cockroaches are also common in all major cities. They can contaminate your food, stain surfaces, destroy fabric, and spread E. coli and salmonella.
- Millipedes—These nocturnal crawlers are found all throughout the Los Angeles area. They love to eat decaying wood, and they often emit a distinctive odor.
- Rodents—Mice and rats can sneak into your home through tiny spaces to nest. They also eat through packages of food, leave droppings, and chew through electrical wires and insulation.
- Termites—Termites can cause serious structural damage in a short amount of time, leaving your home in need of serious repairs. This is one pest to get routine inspection for.
- Wasps—Los Angeles is known for its paper wasps, which are wasps that make nests out of paper-like material. Stings from paper wasps are very painful and can sometimes cause serious allergic reactions.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Los Angeles
Los Angeles experiences many pests problems due to the diversity of the region. Different pests require different treatments. Trying to tackle multiple pest problems on your own can be both costly and time-consuming. A pest control plan performed by a licensed and insured technician can ensure all your pest problems are managed on a routine schedule.
Additionally, though many pests are not dangerous, some may cause structural damage to your home, contaminate food and spread diseases, or pose other health risks. It is a good idea to invest in a pest control plan to safeguard yourself, your family and friends, and your home.
How to Choose Pest Control in Los Angeles
The best way to compare pest control companies is to gather multiple quotes from multiple companies. Another way to gain insight is to read over customer reviews on trusted review sites. Check out some of the most important aspects to keep in mind when picking a company below.
- Type of pests—Not all companies offer the same protection against the same types of pests. If you already know what pests are causing problems, then make sure that the pest control company you hire works against those kinds of pests.
- Cost—When evaluating the cost of pest control companies, consider what they charge and the types of pests they treat. Some companies are more expensive than others, but they typically offer more coverage and unique services. Because of this, if you are only dealing with a few pests, you may opt to go for a simpler plan to save money.
- Reputation—Reading reviews can help you decide if a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy. Sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and TrustPilot are excellent places to start. Check to see if a company is associated with the National Pest Management Association. This is also a good way to know that you are dealing with professionals.
- Plan schedules—Not all plans are offered on the same schedule. Look into plans that are offered in increments you’d prefer—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc. We suggest at least a quarterly plan.
- Guarantees— Some of the pest control companies offer guarantees to ensure that their customers are satisfied with their work. Orkin and Terminix offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix even offer to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
Los Angeles Pest Control FAQs
Are Terminix inspections really free?
Terminix inspections are free, unless the inspection is for a real estate transaction. Certain fees typically apply to these inspections.
How much is Orkin per year?
The average annual cost of Orkin is $575. It can be as low as $475 or as high as $3,000 depending on the plan you choose and the additional options you add.
How often should I do pest control?
We recommend having pest control happen at least every quarter.
How long after pest spray can I mop?
Be sure to ask your pest control provider this, but generally you should wait five to seven days before cleaning after having your house treated. This is because cleaning could potentially remove some of the materials used to treat the house and thus allowing more pests to survive.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.