Cleveland is home to many invading pests, including rodents and stinging insects, that infest houses, condos, and apartments across the city. However, the city is especially prone to bed bug infestations. In fact, according to a professional study performed by Orkin in 2019, Cleveland is the 11th-worst city for this type of invasion.
The This Old House Reviews Team has rounded up the top pest control providers in Cleveland, both national and local, to save you time and money when purchasing a bed bug treatment plan or another treatment plan. Keep reading to learn about the unique characteristics of these companies that set them apart from their competitors.
Top 6 Pest Control Companies in Cleveland
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- J.C. Ehrlich
- Heights Pest Control & Termite
- Alpha Pest Control
Best of the Best Cleveland Pest Control Companies
The top three companies on our list offer unique benefits as well as affordable pricing, several plan options, and high-quality customer service. Terminix is the best overall for its comprehensive plans and coverage. To get a quote, fill out this form or call 866-569-4035. To get a custom quote from Orkin, the best provider for urgent service with a same-day visit option, visit the website or call 877-868-1416.
Terminix scored a near-perfect score of 98.5 out of 100 in our in-depth review of more than 40 local and national pest control providers in the industry. We named it best overall not only for its outstanding performance on key metrics, but also for its unique benefits.
✔ Offers free inspections for custom termite and pest control plans
✔ Features a guarantee called the Nix Pest Guarantee™ that ensures return services or refunds if a pest infestation comes back
✔ Has over 95 years of experience in the pest control industry
Standard pest control plans from Terminix cost between $550 and $700 per year based on the sample quotes we received.
Areas serviced: Amherst, Andover, Ashtabula, Autstinburg, Avon, Berea, Burton, Chagrin Falls, Chardon, Chesterland, Columbia Station, Conneaut, Dorset, Easy Claridon, Elyria, North Ridgeville, Gates Mills, Geneva, Grafton, Grand River, Huntsburg, Jefferson, Kingsville
Termix’s Middleburg Heights, Ohio, branch serves the Cleveland metropolitan area and northern Ohio. You can enter your ZIP code on the website or call 866-569-4035 for a complete list of covered neighborhoods.
If you call before 2 p.m., you could qualify for Orkin’s same-day service, ensuring that your pest infestation emergency is taken care of in a timely manner. On top of emergency services, the company also has a lot of expertise in the industry with a long tenure and well-trained exterminators, which is why we gave it a score of 94 out of 100.
✔ Has been in business for over 100 years
✔ Is committed to educating customers by providing an extensive selection of resources on its website
✔ Uses highly trained specialists who have undergone at least 160 hours of training
General treatment plans cost an average of $575 per year.
Areas serviced: Akron, Barberton, Beachwood, Brunswick, Canton, Chagrin Falls, Cleveland, Cuyahoga Falls, Eastlake, Elyria, Euclid, Lakewood, Lorain, Massillon, Medina, Mentor, North Canton, North Olmsted, North Ridgeville, North Royalton, Painsville, Ravenna, Stow, Strongsville, Wadsworth, Westlake, Willoughby
Orkin’s Brecksville, Ohio, location serves Cleveland and its surrounding neighborhoods. To see if your address is covered, visit the website or call 877-868-1416.
With a score of 91 out of 100, Aptive offers the most customizable pest control solutions on the market. In addition to its tailored treatments, customers have access to 24/7 support and the Aptive Reservice Guarantee for return visits if a treatment doesn’t work.
✔ Has the Aptive Assistant mobile app
✔ Offers free off-schedule service calls
✔ Emphasizes social responsibility with a charitable giveback program
Aptive’s Four-Seasons Protection Plan takes care of any infestations and gives you regular maintenance to keep your home pest-free. Based on sample quotes we received, it costs $560–$620 per year.
The company has a location in Twinsburg, Ohio, that services the Cleveland metropolitan area.
4. J.C. Ehrlich
J.C. Ehrlich is a division of the global pest control brand, Rentokil. The company puts emphasis on having local specialists with knowledge of the Cleveland area to treat homes for a range of infestation types from mice and rats to ants and fleas.
Ehrlich’s Pestfree360 program offers customizable treatments based on each customer’s property and needs. Additionally, commercial businesses can take advantage of the program with a treatment solution for retail and office buildings.
Since 1928, Ehrlich has offered pest control services in Northeast Ohio, including Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Mansfield, and some other areas all the way up to the Pennsylvania border.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
5. Heights Pest Control & Termite
Heights Pest Control & Termite is a local business that only services the Cleveland area. The company employs state-certified inspectors who create reports based on the type of infestation you have. These reports help them put together a customized extermination plan to treat your home.
The company also practices integrated pest management to avoid the use of harmful pesticides and chemicals when possible.
Areas serviced: Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Beachwood, Orange, Woodmere, University Heights, Highland Heights, Solon, Mayfield Heights, Lyndhurst, Pepper Pike, South Euclid, Gates Mills, Novelty, Reminderville, Chagrin Falls, Bainbridge, Hunting Valley, Moreland Hills
Quotes not available through This Old House.
6. Alpha Pest Control
If you’re looking for a family-owned business for your pest control needs, Alpha Pest Control might be a good place to start. The company has been around since 1974 and is a licensed member of the Ohio Pest Control Association and the National Pest Control Association.
Alpha offers both residential and commercial pest control extermination with discounts for military personnel and veterans as well as senior residents over 60. It has two locations in the area—one in the heart of Cleveland and one further south in Brunswick, Ohio.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||Aptive.com|
|Our score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Known for||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
For the most reliable and trustworthy pest control in Cleveland, turn to highly qualified national brands, such as Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive. However, if personalized customer service is a priority for you, you can opt for a local business instead. To get quotes from the top three providers and qualify for unique discounts, use our tool below.
Common Pests in Cleveland
Cleveland is home to a variety of pests, including:
- Rodents—Mice and rat infestations are common in bigger cities like Cleveland and can be particularly damaging to walls and wires.
- Cockroaches—Perhaps one of the most pesky bugs in homes across the country is the cockroach. Roaches love to live in homes with easy access to food and water. A pest control service might be needed to find and eliminate their nesting areas to keep you from getting exposed to the diseases they carry.
- Termites—These insects feed on wood, eventually leading to the need for substantial repairs to your house’s foundation and structure. Hiring an exterminator to eliminate them will cost you a few hundred dollars but that’s still less than the few thousand dollars you’ll spend if you let the invasion get out of hand.
- Bed bugs—Bed bugs suck your blood while you sleep. They can travel on your body, making them difficult to get rid of, which is why you’ll need the help of an exterminator.
- Spiders—Although most spiders are not harmful to humans, they can clog walls, windows, and doorways with annoying webs.
- Ants—These insects typically colonize near sugary foods, such as fruits, building populations in the thousands. Exterminators can find their colonies and get rid of them for good.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Cleveland
There are a handful of reasons why you might want to hire a pest control specialist in Cleveland. If you have an infestation of hard-to-kill pests, such as termites or bed bugs, professionals may be required to prevent the bugs from further damaging you and your property. On the other hand, you may want to consider a regular maintenance plan to keep your home pest-free through scheduled visits.
Even if you’re unsure about purchasing a treatment or maintenance plan, it can’t hurt to contact a pest control company. These companies usually offer free inspections, allowing you to get a detailed report on the condition of your home to decide if further action is warranted.
How to Choose Pest Control in Cleveland
Here are some necessary factors to consider when selecting the best pest control company for your home:
- Type of pests—Knowing what type of pest infestation you have can help you decide which company and plan you’ll need for your home. Look out for the typical signs of common pests, then call a provider for that type of inspection.
- Cost—Getting quotes from several companies will help you determine how much a specific plan for your specific property will cost. Knowing your budget ahead of time will also help you narrow down your choices once you have those quotes.
- Plan schedules—If you’re looking for more frequent visits, choose a plan that sends an exterminator to your home on a regular basis. However, if you just need a one-time service, look for companies that offer that option.
- Reputation—Reading reviews from current and past customers is an important part of making your decision, as it ensures that you’re picking a reputable company. You can find reviews on consumer review websites, such as the Better Business Bureau.
- Guarantees—Most companies offer a guarantee for return infestations. For example, Terminix plans come with the Nix Pest Guarantee™ that offers return visits or extra treatments if the problem doesn’t go away after an extermination.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
In summary, the This Old House Reviews Team reviewed over 40 companies to select this list of the best pest control companies. Our researchers check and update our data on all 40 companies each month to ensure the most accurate information.
Cleveland Pest Control FAQs
How much does pest control in Cleveland cost?
The exact cost of pest control service in Cleveland will vary depending on your property information and infestation level, but typical services cost between $500 and $1,000 per year. For example, Terminix’s prices range from $550–$700 per year, and Aptive typically quotes between $560 and $620 annually.
How do I know if I need an exterminator to come to my house?
Deciding if you need an exterminator is usually based on the type of infestation you have. Some pests, such as termites and bed bugs require professional help, while others, such as rodents or ants, can be handled with store-bought traps. However, even if you don’t have an invasion, you can still purchase a regular service plan for preventative care.
Which Cleveland pest control companies are best for commercial buildings?
Many companies offer both residential and commercial pest control. For example, J.C. Ehrlich’s Pestfree360 program has a package for retail buildings and offices in addition to their normal residential offerings. You can get quotes for your commercial building from each of our recommended companies to see what they can do for you.
Do pest control companies treat termites?
Yes, many pest control companies have separate treatment plans that are designed to get rid of termite infestations in your home.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.