Homeowners in Kansas City should look out for invasions from many common pests, since the temperatures in the area can be attractive to certain bugs or rodents throughout the year. Finding the best pest control company to serve your needs can be an important part of protecting your home and keeping it comfortable to live in.
The top three pest control companies are a great place to start, since they’re well-known across the country, including the greater Kansas City metropolitan area. These companies also currently offer special discounts and benefits that This Old House readers can take advantage of at their convenience.
Top 6 Pest Control Companies in Kansas City
The highest-rated pest control companies that service the Kansas City, Missouri, area include:
1. Terminix: Best Overall
2. Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
3. Aptive: Most Customizable
4. Blue Beetle Pest Control
5. Gunter Pest & Lawn
6. Augustine Exterminators, Inc.
Best of the Best Kansas City Pest Control Companies
Being the best in the pest control industry means serving customers with treatment plans, on-staff expert exterminators, and customer support. Of the 40 companies that we reviewed, we found Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive to be the top three in the country. All three serve the Kansas City area and we’ve listed them below, comparing them with a few other local businesses.
To get started on a quote from Terminix and receive an exclusive $50 coupon, use this online tool or call 866-569-4035. If you’re interested in same-day extermination service, call 877-868-1416 or fill out this form before 2 p.m. for Orkin pest control. To get $100 off your treatment plan from Aptive, visit this website or call 855-697-0130.
1. Best Overall: Terminix
Whether it’s Terminix’s return-service guarantee or its 24/7 customer service, this provider is attractive to a wide range of customers. That’s why we named it the best overall pest control company and gave it a near-perfect score of 98.5 out of 100 in our in-depth rating and review. Here are some highlights of just a few of the benefits this company offers:
✔ On-staff exterminators and professional entomologists with memberships at the Entomological Society of America
✔ Offers online chat function for hassle-free service
✔ Offers free inspections for custom termite and pest control plans
✔ Terminix Promise™ guarantee that assures return service or refunds if the pest infestation comes back
Our sample quotes gave us an indication that you can typically expect costs for a standard Terminix plan to be at around $550–$700 per year, depending on the size of your property and level of infestation.
Visit Terminix’s website for exact details on what ZIP codes it covers near Kansas City, but its office in Overland Park, Kansas stretches service across the greater metropolitan area.
Areas serviced: Aluma, Bates City, Belton, Blue Springs, Buckner, Camden, Camden Point, Centerview, Concordia, Corder, Dover, Excelsior Springs, Grain Valley, Grandview, Greenwood, Hardin, Henrietta, Higginsville, Holden, Holt, Independence, Kearney, Kingsville, and Lawson. More areas available on the website.
Local Terminix Branch Location: 3505 N Kimball Dr, Kansas City, MO 64161
2. Best for Urgent Service: Orkin
Orkin offers custom pest control treatment plans for termites and bedbugs to be a trusted pest solution for emergencies and infestation nightmares. We gave Orkin a score of 94 out of 100 and named it best for urgent service because of its same-day service offering. Keep reading for a few more impressive qualities offered to customers of this exterminator:
✔ Offers various helpful resources on the website related to pest infestations
✔ Uses highly trained and certified specialists for each visit
✔ Been in business for more than 100 years with 1.7 million customers across the country
✔ Guarantees customer satisfaction with each plan with a 30-day money-back refund
The average cost of a standard Orkin treatment plan is around $575 per year based on some sample quotes we received.
Orkin has two branch locations in Lenexa, Kansas, that feature local exterminators that serve the entire Kansas City metro area, including addresses in Missouri. Visit the website to check if your address is within the radius.
Areas serviced: Belton, Blue Springs, Excelsior Springs, Gardner, Grain Valley, Grandview, Harrisonville, Independence, Kearney, Leavenworth, Leawood, Lees Summit, Lenexa, Liberty, Mission, Olathe, Overland Park, Paola, Platte City, Pleasant Hill, Prairie Village, Raymore, Saint Joseph, Shawnee, Smithville, and Warrensburg
Local Orkin Branch Location: 2810 NE Independence Ave, Lee’s Summit, MO 64064
3. Most Customizable: Aptive
Aptive offers one comprehensive pest control plan that includes four seasonal treatments tailored to your specific pest control needs. The company is ahead of the competition with technological features like the Aptive Assist mobile app, allowing customers to manage their plan, access necessary pest-related resources, and connect with support. Here are a few more features offered by Aptive that we found particularly impressive:
✔ Mission-driven, regularly giving to charities
✔ Has an easy-to-use website and mobile app
✔ Always available for free off-schedule service calls
Based on our quotes for a 2,000-square-foot house, the Four-Seasons Protection Plan typically costs around $560–$620 per year.
Aptive currently offers $100 off to This Old House readers. Request a quote on the company’s website to take advantage of this worthwhile deal.
Local Aptive Branch Location: 10675 Widmer Rd, Lenexa, KS 66215
Best Local Kansas City Pest Control Companies
4. Blue Beetle Pest Control
You may have seen one of Blue Beetle’s blue Volkswagen Beetles driving around the city. Its team of local experts is your pest solution for various infestations on your property, including bedbugs, termites, mosquitoes, and even wildlife critters such as racoons that may be living outside or around your building. Blue Beetle offers pest service to commercial properties, as well.
This local family-owned business has been in business since 2003. With more than 45 specialists on the team, it offers fast and quality service all around the Kansas City metro area. Additionally, it guarantees service within 24 hours of your call, so it’s a great solution for emergencies. You can contact the company’s location in Leawood, Kansas, by texting or calling to see if your address is within the service area.
Blue Beetle Headquarters: 10308 State Line Rd, Leawood, KS 66206
5. Gunter Pest & Lawn
Gunter Pest & Lawn is a family-owned and operated business with four generations of experience. The company emphasizes quality, local customer care, building long-standing relationships with clients. In addition, the chat service on its website is always available for any questions or concerns you have about your pest problem.
Gunter’s Kansas City pest control services include general pest control, special termite control, special mosquito service, and even lawn care. The prices usually range from $350–$500 per year. The company serves addresses throughout the city and surrounding areas, including both Kansas and Missouri.
Areas serviced: Atchinson, Baldwin City, Belton, Butler, Clinton, Camden Point, Dearborn, De Soto, Easton, Excelsior Springs, Ferrelview, Fort Leavenworth, Fort Scott, Gardner, Gower, Grain Valley, Grandview, Harrisonville, Holt, Kearney, Kickapoo Township, La Due, La Cygne, Lake Lotawana, Lansing, Rayton, and Smithville. View the full list of areas on the website.
Gunter Office Location: 220 W 72 St, Kansas City, MO 64114
6. Augustine Exterminators, Inc.
With the slogan “our name scares pests to death,” Augustine Exterminators, Inc. takes pride in keeping Kansas City homes and businesses clear of pests for 53 years. Each employee has an average of 17 years of direct experience in the industry, so it’s a reliable choice of local, independent companies in the area. The company serves addresses in both Kansas and Missouri.
This provider offers home and commercial pest control services that include quarterly and one-time treatment plans, as well as professional mosquito protection. In addition to extermination plans, the company also sells air duct and carpet cleaning treatments for eliminating odors and allergens, along with any small embedded bug nests.
Areas serviced: Basehor, Bonner Springs, Bucyrus, De Soto, Edgerton, Eudora, Fairway, Gardner, Hillsdale, Lawrence, Leawood, Lenexa, Linwood, Louisburg, Mission Hills, Olathe, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Westwood, Belton, Blue Springs, Greenwood, Kearney, Independence, and Liberty. Visit the website for a full list.
Augustine Exterminators Office Location: 9280 Flint St, Overland Park, KS 66214
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||Aptive.com|
|Our score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Known for||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
Getting a few quotes from different providers can be a great way to compare offerings and prices based on your specific situation. For the most trustworthy and reliable pest control, we recommend sticking to the top three national brands—Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive. They each have established expertise in the industry with local exterminators in the Kansas City area that are ready to solve your problem and build the custom treatment plan you need for your home.
Common Pests in Kansas City
Knowing what common pests to look out for on either side of the Kansas and Missouri border in Kansas City is important to help you decide what kind of treatment your home might need. Here are a few examples of typical pests in the area:
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs can be scary, since they infest your mattress and room, sucking your blood while you sleep and nesting in your bed. Look for blood marks and itchy bumps on your skin to get a quick start to exterminating these invaders.
- Rodents: Since Kansas City is highly populated, mice and rats are common pests that can infest the walls of your home, damaging wires and chewing holes in your drywall.
- Cockroaches: There’s nothing worse than a roach scurrying across your stove when you least expect it. These bugs are not only a nuisance in your kitchen, but also are disease carriers that can be dangerous to your health.
- Termites: Eating through your dry wood in the foundation or walls of your home makes these colonizing insects particularly dangerous. Hiring a specialist to inspect your home can be necessary to make sure you’re clear of any termite problems. Some homes can be eradicated with a single termite treatment while others make take multiple visits depending on severity.
- Beetles: These bugs aren’t harmful to your home, but some breeds feed on vegetation around your house. Help fighting beetles could be particularly warranted if you have a garden or house plants.
- Bees: Stinging insects are never nice to have around, since they can put your or family in danger and keep you from being comfortable when spending time in your yard. Look out for hives near the doors and walls of your building.
- Mosquitoes: These biting bugs are known for transmitting diseases, and causing swollen and itchy skin with their bites. If your home is near standing water or vegetation, it may be susceptible to a mosquito infestation.
You can learn more about local pests from the experts at the Kansas State University entomology program. They have detailed guides and even on e-book titled “Household Pests of Kansas” on their website here.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Kansas City
Whether you have a specific infestation that you need help eliminating, or you’re just looking for a regular servicer to help maintain your property and keep it pest-free, finding a pest control company can be a wise investment.
How to Choose Pest Control in Kansas City
Choosing a pest control company that’s right for you and your property requires an understanding of a few key factors that go into the decision. All of the following elements should be considered when reviewing companies for yourself:
- Type of pests: What kind of pest infestation do you need help with? What kind of pests does each company handle? Answering these questions can certainly help you narrow down your selection.
- Cost: How much can you spend on a treatment plan? If you’re looking for the cheapest option for urgent service, you might find that buying a one-time extermination makes the most sense.
- Plan schedules: How many times do you need an exterminator to return to your home? This correlates with determining your budget, since the amount of visits required for your particular infestation may be the factor for setting your budget. If you need multiple visits, the treatment plan may be more expensive.
- Reputation: What are people saying about each company? Continuing your research by reading reviews is another step that gets you closer to finding the right company, since you never want to hire an exterminator with a poor reputation.
- Guarantees: Will the company give your money back if it doesn’t do its job? Many companies like Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive have guarantees for return visits or refunds if the infestation returns after servicing.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
In total, the This Old House Reviews Team reviewed over 40 companies to select this list of the best pest control companies. Our researchers check and update our data on all 40 companies each month to ensure the most accurate information.
Kansas City Pest Control FAQs
How much does pest control cost in Kansas City?
Pest control costs can widely vary depending on property size as well as the type and severity of your infestation. Getting the most accurate pricing requires reaching out to companies or using their online quote tools. However, we expect that typical pest control costs in Kansas City range from $400–$900 based on some sample quotes we received.
How much does Terminix cost?
General pest control treatment plans typically fall between $550 and $700, but costs will vary depending on your property size and specific situation. You can get an exact quote on the company’s website or by calling 866-569-4035.
Are pest control plans worth the money?
Hiring pest control experts could definitely be worth it to give you peace of mind that your space will be kept free from pests such as roaches, silverfish, ants, spiders, or termites. Most plans are reasonably priced and worth your consideration, especially if you currently have a bad infestation.
What are common bugs in Kansas City?
Kansas and Missouri are home to a wide range of pests that invade homes throughout the states. With large populations, drastic temperatures, and high humidity during the summer, Kansas City is an attractive location for pests such as rodents, mosquitoes, ants, termites, silverfish, and bed bugs.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.