Portland experiences various pest problems, such as rats and mice. With so many pest control options available, it can get time-consuming and difficult to figure out which company is best for you and your family.
That is why our Reviews Team has researched and ranked some of the best pest control companies on the market. Keep reading this roundup to see how each company compares on its services and cost.
Top Pest Control Companies in Portland
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Pioneer Pest Management
- Pointe Pest Control
- The Killers Pest Control
Best of the Best Portland Pest Control Companies
We named Terminix our top choice for pest control in Portland. It offers top-tier specialty pest solutions at affordable prices, online tools, and comprehensive treatment plans. Visit Terminix’s website or call it at 866-569-4035 to get an instant quote. Orkin features one of the fastest response times with its same-day service option. Visit Orkin online or call it at 877-868-1416 to get more information. Aptive specializes in customizable pest control solutions. Visit Aptive’s website or call 855-697-0130 for more information.
Terminix offers comprehensive treatment plans with 90 years of knowledge and experience. The company also provides high-demand specialty services like termite extermination and bedbug control. Terminix customers also get access to useful online resources and tools, like the ability to chat online with a representative.
✔ Crawl space and attic services are available
✔ The Terminix Promise™ means Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments
✔ Pest control technicians include professional entomologists and members of the Entomological Society of America
Terminix’s annual plans cost roughly $550–$700.
Service Areas: Aurora, Beaverton, Beavercreek, Beaverton, Boring, Bridal Veil, Brightwood, Canby, Cascade Locks, Clackamas, Clatskanie, Colton, Columbia City, Corbett, Donald, Eagle Creek, Estacada, Fairview, Gervais, Gladstone, Government Camp, Gresham, Hood River, Hubbard
We suggest you get more details and an instant quote from Terminix by filling out this short form or by calling 866-569-4035.
Orkin offers protection against 20 common pests with its basic plans, and it offers specialty services like bedbug and termite control. Orkin customers receive fast response times with same-day service options. The company also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, and customers receive access to useful online tools and resources to better understand their pest problems.
✔ Technicians undergo 160-hours of training before going out in the field
✔ If you call before 2 PM for service, then you receive service that same day
✔ Every customer receives a six-step plan, called Points of Service that technicians follow
Orkin’s yearly plans cost around $575 per year.
Service Areas: Albany, Battle Ground, Beaverton, Camas, Canby, Clackamas, Corvallis, Forest Grove, Gresham, Happy Valley, Hillsboro, Kelso, Lake Oswego, Longview, Mcminnville, Newberg, Oregon City, Portland, Salem, Sherwood, Troutdale, Tualatin, Vancouver, Washougal, West Linn, Wilsonville, Woodburn
We recommend that you see what Orkin can do for you by completing this simple form or by calling the company at 877-868-1416.
Aptive customizes quarterly plans based on each customer and applies treatments seasonally to ensure your home is protected against common household pests.
✔ Is a member of the EPA’s Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program
✔ Offers the Four-Seasons Protection Plan to keep your home protected year-round
✔ Aptive technicians will address any issues you experience between scheduled visits at no extra cost to you
An annual plan from Aptive costs around $560–$620 per year.
To receive a free quote from Aptive, fill out this easy-to-use form or call 855-697-0130.
Best Local Portland Pest Control Companies
4. Pioneer Pest Management
Pioneer Pest Management has been assisting Portland homeowners since 2001. Customers can receive year-round protection through the Pioneer Home Defense Program. This provides protection against seasonal pests, including carpenter ants, small ants, spiders, bees, wasps, hornets, rodents, and cockroaches.
Pioneer strives to use the best treatment with the least environmental impact, and the company will address issues that occur between scheduled visits at no extra cost. Pioneer also provides services for bedbugs, fleas, box elder beetles, and wildlife relocation.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
5. Pointe Pest Control
Pointe Pest Control provides many industry-standard pest solutions and services for both homes and businesses. Pointe Pest’s general pest control program includes treatment for ants, spiders, wasps and other common pests around Portland. It also includes the removal of hives and webs on the exterior of your home. The company also features rodent control as an additional service.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
6. The Killers Pest Control
The Killers Pest Control are recognizable throughout the Portland area due to their striking Bonnie & Clyde inspired trucks. The company offers free inspections and three different service packages. The Killers also provides a one-year warranty with its plans, which allows customers to call anytime during that year to receive additional services required for free.
The Killers’ second-tier service package, the Diamond General Pest Services plan, covers many pests common to Portland, such as ants, boxelders, stink bugs, spiders, carpet beetles, fleas, roaches, silverfish, earwigs, sowbugs, hornets, wasps, yellow jackets.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||GoAptive.com|
|Our overall score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
Every company on this list makes a great choice for pest control in Portland and the surrounding area. Our Reviews Team recommends Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive as the top-rated companies in the market currently. Get an instant, detailed estimate from all three providers below.
Common Pests in Portland
With Portland’s lush woodlands and incredible parks comes a variety of pest problems. Many pests in the area are not dangerous like boxelder bugs, but some may be threatening like spiders and yellow jackets. Certain pests can even cause structural damage to your house, like wood beetles and carpenter ants. Read over some common pests in Portland below.
- Ants: Ants are common throughout the Portland area. Some ants, namely carpenter ants, can cause structural damage to your home too.
- Cockroaches: These pests can enter your home through small cracks and contaminate food. They can possibly spread diseases like salmonella.
- Rodents: Rodents and mice eat through packages of food, leave droppings, and chew through electrical wires and insulation. They often enter your home through small spaces to build a nest.
- Bedbugs: These bugs can quickly infest your bedroom and other areas of your house if left untreated. Professional treatment is highly recommended for these bugs.
- Termites: Termites can damage wooden structures and set homeowners back thousands of dollars in repairs.
- Stinging Insects: Stinging insects, like paper wasps and yellow jackets, are found throughout Portland and the surrounding suburbs. Sometimes their stings can cause an allergic reaction that requires emergency medical attention.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Portland
Using a pest control company is a wise investment for any Portland homeowner. You are able to protect yourself and your loved ones from potential medical emergencies and illness. Each kind of pest requires a different type of treatment. It can get costly trying to treat them on your own, so a routine pest control plan helps you save money in the long run.
How to Choose Pest Control in Portland
There are some major points to think about before picking a pest control company. Read over some of the most important factors to know and consider before you commit to a company here.
- Type of pests: Each company offers different general pest control plans based on both the number and specific types of pests covered. If you already know what pests are causing problems, then make sure that the pest control company you hire works against those types of pests.
- Cost: Consider what each company charges and the types of pests they treat. Some companies are more expensive than others but they typically offer more coverage and unique services.
- Reputation: Customer and expert reviews can help give you a sense of whether a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy.
- Plan schedules: Look into plans that are offered in increments you’d prefer—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc. We suggest at least a quarterly treatment plan.
- Guarantees: Check to see if the company offers guarantees, as it is a sign of good customer service. Orkin and Terminix offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix even offer to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100 percent satisfied.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
In total, the This Old House Reviews Team reviewed over 40 companies to select this list of the best pest control companies. Our researchers check and update our data on all 40 companies each month to ensure the most accurate information.
Portland Pest Control FAQs
Can I do pest control myself?
There are many DIY pest control options available, but they are often expensive, time-intensive and not as effective as having a licensed and insured professional treat your home for you.
Do I need pest control in the winter?
Though pests are more common during spring and summer months, pest control is useful all year long, especially in Portland. Boxelder bugs and carpenter ants, for example, tend to stay hidden in your home’s infrastructure during the colder months.
Who is more expensive, Orkin or Terminix?
The overall price for pest control varies according to the size of your home, the type of property, and the size of the infestation.
Do wood beetles bite humans?
Wood beetles rarely bite. The main concern is their impact on your home’s structural integrity.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.