There’s a wide range of pests to look out for in Minneapolis. Whether you’re worried about a specific infestation in your home that’s gotten out of control, or you want to find a reliable exterminator for regular maintenance to keep your home pest-free year-round, this guide has everything you need to know about the top national providers and a few local businesses that all service the Minneapolis metropolitan area. Keep reading to learn more about their cost, treatment plans, customer service, and more.
Top 6 Pest Control Companies in Minneapolis
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Plunkett’s Pest Control
- Rainbow Pest Experts
- Arrow Pest Control
Best of the Best Minneapolis Pest Control Companies
Top pest control companies in the industry have to provide highly rated customer service, comprehensive treatment plan options, and affordable pricing. We found Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive to be the best of the best in all areas they service, including Minneapolis.
To get access to a $50 coupon from Terminix, the best overall provider, fill out this form or call 866-569-4035. If you need urgent service for your infestation, call 877-868-1416 or reach out here before 2 p.m. to qualify for a same-day visit from Orkin. Additionally, Aptive’s customizable pest control services come with $100 off if you visit the company’s website or call 855-697-0130.
You’ve likely heard of Terminix, as it’s one of the most well-known companies across the country—and for good reason. In fact, we found Terminix to be the best overall based on its impressive performance in a number of areas, including customer service, cost, and treatment plan options.
✔ Has nearly 100 years of industry experience
✔ Features the Terminix Promise™ that assures return service or refunds if the pest infestation comes back
✔ Its exterminators are members of the Entomological Society of America
This provider’s standard pest control treatment plans cost $550–$700 annually based on the sample quotes we received.
Areas serviced: Amery, East Ellsworth, Hager City, Hammond, New Richmond, Roberts, Saint Croix Falls, Somerset, Star Prairie, Wilson, Woodville, Bay City, Afton, Bayport, Bethel, Cannon Falls, Cedar, Chisago City, Circle Pines, Cottage Grove, Dennison, Elko, Faribault, Farmington. Visit the website for the full list of serviced areas.
Get a quote on the website or call 866-569-4035 to see if the St. Louis Park, Minnesota, Terminix location covers your home.
Another popular pest control brand is Orkin. This provider includes a wide range of targeted treatment plans, including termite and bed bug control. It also has urgent service options for pest control emergencies. For example, if you call or reach out online before 2 p.m., your house could be eligible for same-day service.
✔ Offers flexible appointment scheduling
✔ Has a 30-day, money-back guarantee
✔ Has over 100 years of experience
General treatment plans cost $575 per year on average.
Areas serviced: Andover, Anoka, Burnsville, Champlin, Chaska, Circle Pines, Cottage Grove, Elk River, Faribault, Farmington, Forest Lake, Hastings, Hopkins, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville, Mankato, Osseo, Owatonna, Prior Lake, Rosemount, Saint Cloud, Saint Paul, Savage, Shakopee, Stillwater
Orkin has a location in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, that services the greater Minneapolis metropolitan area. Visit the website or call 877-868-1416 to check if that includes your address.
Aptive is an ideal choice for homeowners who want to tailor their pest control treatments to their specific issues. The company also has strong customer service with a 24/7 customer service center and a mobile app, allowing you to reach them and manage your plan whenever you want.
✔ Offers a Four-Seasons Protection Plan that includes treatment on a seasonal basis
✔ Is community-oriented, donating frequently to charities
✔ Offers free off-schedule service calls
Our sample quotes for Aptive’s Four-Seasons Protection Plan were between $560 and $620 per year.
Aptive’s Edina, Minnesota, location offers treatment plans to homeowners and commercial businesses across the city of Minneapolis. Fill out this form or call 855-697-0130 to check if the provider has exterminators that can service your address.
4. Pluntkett’s Pest Control
Although Plunkett’s Pest Control has a large service area spanning several states, it was founded in 1915 in Minneapolis and is a family-owned business committed to providing the best service to residents in the area. With an A+ rating and accreditation on its Better Business Bureau profile, Plunkett’s is a reputable extermination option.
This provider serves both residential and commercial buildings with essential pest control services and general treatment plans. The Residential HomeGuard Program starts at around $400 per year.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
5. Rainbow Pest Experts
Rainbow Pest Experts is a local company that specializes in mouse control and other pest solutions, but it also offers lawn services, such as tree care, lawn care, and even holiday design with Christmas light installation. Since rodents are a popular pest in the Minneapolis area, Rainbow may be the solution you need help with that particular infestation.
Mouse control treatment plans for your house include traps, bait stations, exterior inspections, exterior seal-ups, foundation patches, a two-year limited warranty, and two free follow-up visits.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
6. Arrow Pest Control
Located in Saint Paul, Minnesota, Arrow Pest Control is a locally owned and operated business that has been serving the Minneapolis metropolitan area for more than 20 years. Treatment plans feature a 100% satisfaction guarantee for both residential and commercial pest management.
Arrow typically sells treatment plans for ant control, bat control, boxelder bug control, lady beetle control, mouse control, squirrel control, and stinging insect removal. If you have an infestation of small bugs, this is the company for you.
Areas serviced: Saint Paul, Bloomington, Edina, Eden Prairie, St. Louis Park, Robbinsdale, Crystal, Golden Valley, Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville, Brooklyn Park, Shoreview, Vadnais Heights, Aden Hills, North Oakes, Woodbury, Cottage Grove, Maplewood, Lake Elmo, Oakdale, Falcon Heights, Roseville, Mendota Heights, Fridley, Columbia Heights, Newport
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||Aptive.com|
|Our score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Known for||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
Several factors, including cost, coverage, and customer service, go into choosing the best pest control treatment plan for you and your home. Getting quotes from a few providers is a great place to start. Looking to national companies, such as Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive, gets you unique benefits and reliable service, but local businesses can offer that personal touch that you may desire from your exterminator.
Common Pests in Minneapolis
Minneapolis is home to several pests from wildlife creatures to damaging insects. Here are a few examples of typical infestations found in and around the city:
- Rodents—Rats and mice live in your walls, chewing drywall and wires. They can also leave smelly droppings on your carpet or floor.
- Cockroaches—Roaches are among the most hated insects for their tendency to surprise homeowners, scurrying across the kitchen floor or inside a cabinet. Exterminators know exactly how to find and eliminate their nests.
- Termites—These insects can be damaging to the structure of your home, since they eat through wood in large colonies. Termites often require intervention from a pest control professional to completely eliminate the colony.
- Bed bugs—This is another infestation in your home that can spread from your mattress and sleeping area to your entire room. Bed bugs are blood-sucking insects that require thorough extermination methods to return you to comfortable sleeping.
- Ants—Colonies of ants can be harmful to you or your home depending on the species. For example, fire ants can set up mounds around your property, making your yard a minefield of potential ant bites, whereas carpenter ants don’t harm humans but can chew small portions of your home’s wooden frame.
- Bees—Stinging insects, such as bees, wasps, and yellow jackets, can be dangerous if not dealt with properly. Hives can form near your doors and windows, hindering your ability to leave your house.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Minneapolis
Minneapolis is home to a wide range of pests from annoying bugs to nesting critters. Though there are strategies you can try on your own to keep your house pest-free, those don’t always work, leaving your home vulnerable to infestations.
A pest control treatment plan can help you with those bad invasions of insects, such as termites or bed bugs, that require a specialist for full elimination as well as regular pest management to keep your space free of annoying or damaging creepy-crawlies.
How to Choose Pest Control in Minneapolis
Getting quotes from a few companies is a good next step for narrowing down your choices, but here are some other factors to consider about your potential exterminator before making a purchase:
- Type of pests—You can narrow down your company options based on the specific infestation you have. For example, if you have a termite problem, you’ll need to find a pest company with a specialized termite treatment plan.
- Cost—When you get quotes from different companies, compare their pricing details. You may even want to take advantage of the $50 and $100 discounts that Terminix and Aptive are currently offering This Old House readers.
- Guarantees—Many pest control companies in Minneapolis offer 100% satisfaction guarantees for return services or refunds if the pest infestation returns after a visit. This saves you money, since you don’t have to pay for repeat treatments.
- Reputation—Consider what current and past customers are saying about a company to ensure it’s living up to the customer service experience it has promised. You can do this by checking reviews on the Better Business Bureau or other customer review websites.
- Plan schedules—You should consider the number of extermination visits offered in each plan, especially when comparing costs. For example, one company might cost less than the other, but it only offers one visit rather than seasonal servicing throughout the year.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
In summary, the This Old House Reviews Team reviewed over 40 companies to select this list of the best pest control companies. Our researchers check and update our data on all 40 companies each month to ensure the most accurate information.
Minneapolis Pest Control FAQs
What is included in pest control?
It varies depending on the company and selected package, but standard plans include extermination of any bugs or critters inside or outside your home. However, you may need a more specific plan for particularly difficult pests, such as termites or bed bugs.
Can I treat my house for pests by myself?
There are products you can buy to help you with DIY pest extermination, but you may not be able to completely eliminate the problem without the help of a professional. We suggest speaking with a specialist about your problem to see what measures you can take before spending the money on pest control.
How much does pest control in Minneapolis cost?
Pest control typically costs between $400 and $900 depending on the size of your property, level of infestation, and selected treatment plan.
How do I find the right exterminator for my house?
Think about the type of pest you have issues with, the amount of money you want to spend, the company’s reputation, and the frequency of visits to help you narrow down the providers that make the most sense for you.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.