Orange County has beautiful weather year-round. Unfortunately, the pleasant weather is also attractive to unwanted guests in your home. Hiring a pest control service can give your Southern California home protection from infestations of damaging bugs, such as termites, as well as annoying critters, such as rodents.
Whether you’re in need of a special treatment plan for a problem that’s quickly getting out of hand or you want routine servicing of your property every season, the best pest control companies on the market can help. Keep reading to learn more about your Orange County options and how they compare to each other in terms of coverage, customer service, pricing, and more.
Top 6 Pest Control Companies in Orange County
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Pest Innovations
- HomeShield Pest Control
- Preferred Pest Control
Best of the Best Orange County Pest Control Companies
When deciding on the top providers, we considered factors, such as comprehensive treatment plans, expertise in the industry, and customer service availability. Of all the providers we reviewed, national brands Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive rated the highest. Get a quote from Terminix or call 866-569-4035 for the best overall treatment plans. For emergency services, go with Orkin by filling out this form or calling 877-868-1416.
Perhaps the most popular name in the pest control industry is Terminix. The company has been around for over 90 years and protects millions of homes across the United States. It also offers several unique benefits, such as free home inspections and free visits in between scheduled treatments.
✔ Has served more than 2.8 million customers nationwide over its 90-year tenure
✔ Has knowledgeable employees who are members of the Entomological Society of America
✔ Offers 24/7 customer service via an online chat and phone number
Every standard pest control plan from Terminix costs between $550 and $700 per year depending on situation-specific factors, such as property size and infestation level.
Areas serviced: Irvine, Foothill Ranch, Capistrano Beach, Corona Del Mar, Dana Point, Lake Forest, Laguna Woods, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Aliso Viejo, Newport Coast, Newport Beach, San Clemente, San Juan, Silverado, Trabuco Canyon, Westminster, Rancho Santa, Margarita, Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, Santa Ana, Anaheim. Visit the website for a full list of covered cities.
Get a quote on the website or call 866-569-4035 to see if your address is included in the Orange County service areas for the Laguna Hills, California, office.
If you have an infestation that needs to be taken care of quickly and efficiently, Orkin is your best option. The company offers same-day visits from its team of highly-trained extermination specialists if you call before 2 p.m. and next-day visits if you call later in the day, giving you fast service for invasions that are getting out of hand.
✔ Has online resources for customers looking to learn more about each pest type
✔ Offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee after the first service visit
✔ Is one of the longest-standing companies in the industry with more than 100 years of experience
The average cost of general pest control treatment plans from Orkin is around $575 annually.
Areas serviced: Anaheim, Bell Gardens, Corona, Costa Mesa, Downey, Fontana, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Hemet, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Moreno Valley, Murrieta, Norwalk, Perris, Pomona, Puyallup, Rialto, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Ana, Temecula, Victorville, Whittier
The company has two offices in Anaheim, California, that service a large area in and around Orange County. Check the website or call 877-868-1416 to see if your address is included.
Aptive is a newer company in the pest control industry. It offers customizable seasonal treatments to effectively address your pest issues. The company is also dedicated to getting the job done with the Aptive Reservice Guarantee that offers free service calls in between regularly scheduled appointments.
✔ Has a learning center on its website for pest information
✔ Has an Aptive Assist mobile app
✔ Has a 24/7 customer support center
Based on our sample quotes, you can expect Aptive to cost between $560–$620 per year.
4. Pest Innovations
Pest Innovations offers pest management solutions for your home or business with both residential and commercial treatment plans. In addition to general plans, there are four other specialized offerings: ant control, bed bug control, rodent inspections, and termite inspections. If you need a report on termites or rodents for your HOA or home loan agreement, Pest Innovations can give you an inspection for free.
This local business has been serving residents, restaurants, and retail businesses with general and specific pest solutions since 1998. It has an office in Glendora, California, that serves counties and cities across the state.
Areas serviced: Los Angeles County, Anaheim, Fullerton, Irvine, Santa Ana, Yorba Linda, Corona, Eastvale, Jurupa Valley, Moreno Valley, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Fontana, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, San Fernando Valley
Quotes not available through This Old House.
5. HomeShield Pest Control
HomeShield uses environmentally-friendly fumigation and insecticide products from the manufacturer EcoSMART Technologies, a company that offers 100% green pest solutions. This provider also guarantees its service with a 100% satisfaction guarantee that includes free maintenance calls between treatments.
In addition to Orange County, the company also services other areas around Southern and Northern California with treatment plans for pests, termites, rodents, and attic cleanups. It’s a good option if you’re looking for a local company that knows the state well.
Areas serviced: Rocklin, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Lincoln, Sacramento, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Garden Grove, Costa Mesa, Mission Viejo, Riverside, Santa Ana, San Diego, San Bernardino County
Quotes not available through This Old House.
6. Preferred Pest Control
Preferred Pest Control is a family-owned company that’s been servicing the Orange County and Irvine areas for more than 50 years. The company takes pride in its honest and transparent business that treats each homeowner like a neighbor with warm customer service at the core of its business model.
Preferred offers special treatment plans for a wide variety of infestations. It also has various resources on its website to help homeowners keep their properties secure from dangerous pests.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||Aptive.com|
|Our score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Known for||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
Our recommendation to homeowners looking for pest control in Orange County is to get quotes from a few providers before making a decision. Although the local businesses in fourth, fifth, and six places offer great customer service and plan options, we suggest starting with nationally recognized brands, such as Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive, because of their reliability.
Common Pests in Orange County
The consistent weather in California can attract an extensive list of pests. Look out for signs of the following pests, among others, to help determine whether it’s time to hire an exterminator:
- Rodents—Mice and rats can be a nuisance for your house’s walls and floors, gnawing wires and surfaces, but they can also carry diseases that could negatively impact your health.
- Termites—These colonizing insects live in your home’s structure and gnaw at its wood. Letting them get out of control can lead to serious damage that costs thousands of dollars to repair.
- Cockroaches—Everyone hates having roaches in their home because of their large size. However, they can also carry dangerous diseases and require professional extermination to locate and expel their nests.
- Bed bugs—These insects nest in your mattress or near your sleeping area, feeding on your skin during the night. Bed bugs can cause harm to your body and be difficult to remove from your room.
- Mosquitoes—These bugs love vegetation and areas near water. Mosquitoes can be dangerous disease-carriers, and their bites can irritate and infect your skin.
- Bees—Stinging insects are popular in California. Bees and wasps can develop hives outside homes and make residents feel uncomfortable about spending time in their yards.
- Spiders—Although spiders are typically harmless, California is home to some deadly ones, such as the brown and black widows. Exterminators are trained to safely remove these dangerous eight-legged nightmares from your house.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Orange County
Since Orange County is known for warm, dry summers, infestations from pests, such as termites and bed bugs, are common. Unfortunately, these bugs are difficult to expel from your home without the help of a professional, and they can be dangerous to its structure and your health.
On the other hand, it could be worth hiring an exterminator just to keep your home pest-free with regularly scheduled visits for preventative service. That way you never have any problems that get out of control.
How to Choose Pest Control in Orange County
You should consider your priorities before purchasing a treatment plan from an exterminator near you. Here are some factors to think about when choosing an Orange County pest control company:
- Type of pests—Your selection may revolve around one infestation. For example, if you need a termite colony removed, you’ll need a specialized termite exterminator to inspect and service your property.
- Cost—Get quotes from a few companies to compare prices and determine which one has the best offer. Additionally, take advantage of any deals or discounts the company is currently offering.
- Reputation—Trustworthiness is important with exterminators, since they’re coming into your home and using potentially dangerous chemicals. Make sure the company is highly recommended by reading reviews from past customers on review sites, such as the Better Business Bureau.
- Guarantees—Most pest companies return for free if you’re unhappy with the treatment or your pest problem comes back. This return guarantee ensures that you’re not paying for extra treatments if the first ones don’t work.
- Plan schedules—Decide how frequently you want your exterminator to visit. Some companies have one-time service plans, while others come to your home monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, or at other frequencies.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
In summary, the This Old House Reviews Team reviewed over 40 companies to select this list of the best pest control companies. Our researchers check and update our data on all 40 companies each month to ensure the most accurate information.
Orange County Pest Control FAQs
What kinds of pests are common in Orange County?
With the dry, hot weather of Southern California, expect to find infestations of bed bugs, termites, stinging insects, and spiders. Look out for signs of these bugs to catch their invasions before they get out of hand.
How much does pest control cost in Orange County?
General treatment plans typically cost between $500–$1,000 in Orange County based on the sample quotes we received, but the price tag on your plan may vary depending on your property size and level of infestation.
Is pest control worth the money?
Yes. Exterminators can either clear your already infested home or prevent pests from ever infesting it, saving you money from costly repairs if a serious invasion were to occur.
How often should an exterminator visit my home?
The cadence of service visits will vary depending on your needs, but we suggest having your exterminator return at least once per season to make sure your home gets preventative care as well as inspections for invasions.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.