Like many major cities, Sacramento experiences a fair share of pest problems. Whether it’s something non-threatening like ladybugs or more dangerous like black widows, a pest control company can give you peace of mind when it comes to residential and commercial pest control. With so many options for pest control in Sacramento and its surrounding suburbs, it may get time-consuming and confusing trying to figure out which company is right for you and your family.
That is why our Reviews Team researched and reviewed the best pest control companies in the country. Keep reading to learn more about each company, as well as their services, treatment plans, and overall cost.
Top Pest Control Companies in Sacramento
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Pest Pros Pest Solutions
- Pinnacle Pest Control
- Pegasus Pest Control
Terminix is a staple in the pest control industry with almost a century of experience. Alongside comprehensive routine treatment plans, Terminix offers quality specialty services like bed bug extermination and termite control. Terminix customers also receive online tools and resources to help them better understand their pest situation, as well as an online chat tool to reach a representative at any time.
Pros & Cons
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™, which means that Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments
✔ Helps 2.8 million customers in homes and businesses across the U.S.
✔ Offers free inspections and a money-back guarantee
✘ One-time service fee is more expensive than that of other companies
Terminix’s annual plans cost around $550–$700.
Service Areas: Birds Landing, Fairfield, Travis Afb, Rio Vista, Suisun City, Stockton, Acampo, Angels Camp, Arnold, Clements, Copperopolis, Farmington, French Camp, Linden, Lockeford, Lodi, Mountain Ranch, Murphys, San Andreas, Vallecito, Valley Springs, Victor, Wallace, Wilseyville
Orkin is another highly recognizable name in the pest control world thanks to its affordable quarterly treatment plans and specialty services like termite extermination and bed bug control. Orkin customers receive a 30-day money-back guarantee and same-day service if they call before 2 p.m. Orkin also features useful online tools and resources for customers to educate themselves on various pest issues.
Pros & Cons
✔ Technicians undergo 160 hours of training before going out in the field
✔ Offers a basic pest control plan that covers nearly 20 common household pests
✔ Upholds a system of assessment, monitoring, and prevention
✘ No online chat
The average cost of a yearly plan with Orkin is $575 per year.
Service Areas: Antioch, Concord, Daly City, Elk Grove, Fairfield, Fremont, Hayward, Madera, Modesto, Napa, Oakland, Palo Alto, Redwood City, Roseville, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, San Leandro, San Mateo, San Ramon, Santa Clara, Santa Rosa, Stockton, Sunnyvale, Tracy, Vacaville, Vallejo
Aptive specializes in customizable pest solutions and performs quarterly treatments to keep your home pest-free all year long. Additionally, Aptive’s technicians will address any issues between scheduled visits at no extra cost.
Pros & Cons
✔ Helps stop the spread of malaria through programs like the United Nations’ Nothing But Nets campaign
✔ Ranked as one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s Best Companies in America
✔ Is a member of the EPA’s Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program
✘ Only provides one pest control plan
✘ Customers mention aggressive sales tactics
Aptive’s annual treatment plan costs between $560 and $620 per year.
Learn More: Aptive Review
Pest Pros Pest Solutions
Pest Pros is an excellent choice for pest control in the Sacramento area. The company offers both residential and commercial pest control services. Its website also features a useful and interactive pest library. Pest Pros offers three different treatment plan levels. Its base-level plan, the Pro Quarterly plan, guarantees service for ants, spiders, roaches, rodents and other occasional invaders. This includes interior and exterior treatments and the webbing of eaves and fence lines with every service. Pest Pros also has a same-day service guarantee if customers call before noon.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Pinnacle Pest Control
Since 1998, Pinnacle Pest Control has provided the Sacramento area with residential and commercial pest control, termite control, and repair services. Pinnacle’s year-long pest control plan includes services like identification and treatment for your existing pest problem, perimeter treatment, bimonthly exterior treatment, and spider web removal. The company features a free re-service guarantee if anything goes wrong between scheduled visits. Pinnacle focuses on long-term prevention of common pests in Northern California.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Pegasus Pest Control
Pegasus Pest Control has been in business since 1993, and it has made itself a reputable company in the Sacramento region. Pegasus uses a four-tier integrated pest management plan for all its customers, and it offers a customer-satisfaction guarantee. The company offers year-long treatment plans that include targeted pest treatment, property cleaning, and free emergency pest treatment. Pegasus can help with many common pests in the Sacramento area, including ants, bed bugs, rodents, spiders, termites, and pigeons.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
Each company here is a great option for pest control in Sacramento, but the This Old House Reviews Team names Terminix and Orkin as the top-rated pest control companies in Sacramento. Get an instant quote and learn more about each company below.
Common Pests in Sacramento
California experiences a variety of pest problems. Whether it’s a gopher ruining your yard or the potential threat of termites destroying your home’s infrasture, having a pest control plan can ensure common pests aren’t a problem for you and your family. Check out some of the most common pests in the Sacramento area.
- Ants—Ants are a common pests in all of California. Some ants, namely carpenter ants, can cause structural damage to your home. Additionally, you will often find soil ants around the region.
- Cockroaches—Cockroaches can enter your home through small cracks and contaminate food. They can also spread diseases like salmonella.
- Spiders—There are plenty of spiders around Sacramento that aren’t dangerous, but some spiders like the Black Widow can be dangerous.
- Rodents—Rodents and mice eat through packages of food, leave droppings, and chew through electrical wires and insulation. They often enter your home through small spaces to build a nest.
- Gophers—These pests can cause harm to your home and yard. They also can chew on important infrastructure and pipes.
- Bed bugs—These bugs can quickly infest your bedroom and other areas of your house if left untreated. Professional treatment is highly recommended for these bugs.
- Termites—Termites can damage wooden structures and set homeowners back thousands of dollars in repairs.
- Stinging Insects—Stinging insects, like paper wasps and yellow jackets, are found throughout Sacramento and its surrounding suburbs. A notable one is the carpenter bee, which can cause structural damage to your home.
- Pigeons—Though these birds are typically harmless and annoying, some may carry disease.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Sacramento
It’s a wise investment for a Sacramento homeowner to get a routine pest control plan and avoid any issues that pests may cause to your home’s structural integrity. You are also able to protect your family and loved ones from potential illness or medical emergencies caused by pests. Another way a pest control plan is a great investment is that it can save you money over time. Each type of pest requires a different kind of treatment, and it can get expensive trying to treat every single pest on your own. Having a certified pest control technician handle your pest issues means that you don’t have to spend money on different DIY treatments.
How to Choose Pest Control in Sacramento
There are some major points to pay attention to when picking a pest control company. Read over some of the most important ones below.
- Type of pests—Each company offers different general pest control plans based on both the number and specific types of pests covered. If you already know what pests are causing problems, make sure that the pest control company you hire works against those types of pests. Additionally, keep in mind other pests that you might run into over time.
- Cost—Consider each company’s rate and the types of pests they treat. Some companies are more expensive than others but they typically offer more coverage and unique services. However, you may only require a simple plan, which could save even more money. Keep in mind that companies factor in things like the size of your home, the size of the infestation, and the type of pest when calculating treatment costs.
- Reputation—Reading about a company from expert reviews can help give you a sense of whether a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy. You can also use customer review sites like TrustPilot and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to get a realistic picture of each company’s customer service.
- Plan schedules—Look into plans that are offered in increments you’d prefer—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc. We suggest at least a quarterly treatment plan.
- Guarantees— Check to see if the company offers guarantees, which is a sign of good customer service. Orkin and Terminix offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix even offer to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
Sacramento Pest Control FAQs
Can I do pest control myself?
Yes. There are many DIY pest control products and resources available. However, investing in a professional company helps you save money in the long run and helps you quickly get rid of your pest problem.
How do professionals get rid of gophers?
May professionals will attempt to trap the gopher and release it elsewhere. They may also attempt to repel the gopher using different pellets and oils.
Does Aptive spray mosquitoes?
Yes. Aptive can help with mosquito control.
What are common signs of termites?
Common signs of termites include mud tubes, hollow-sounding wood, shed wings, the sound of termites banging against the interior of the wall, peeling paint, and termite droppings.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.