Charm City’s coastal location can be alluring for pesky pests such as mosquitoes, spiders, mice, and rats. Luckily, there are many companies in Baltimore with solutions for these annoying home invaders.
Finding the best pest control companies is the first step to having a pest-free home. This Old House’s Reviews Team has researched a combination of the top national brands and local businesses to highlight some options that are best for your property. Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive are trusted brands serving Baltimore that can act as a good starting point for your needs, but there are some local businesses to check out as well.
Top 6 Pest Control Companies in Baltimore
The highest-rated pest control companies that service the Baltimore area include:
1. Terminix: Best Overall
2. Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
3. Aptive: Most Customizable
4. J.C. Ehrlich
5. Atlantic Pest Control
6. Brody Brothers Pest Control
Best of the Best Baltimore Pest Control Companies
We chose nationally available companies as the top three choices for Baltimore because of their outstanding performance in our rating methodology and general trustworthiness. Terminix’s performance was particularly impressive, and we labeled it best overall. Orkin proved its top ranking for its commitment to urgent service for emergency pest extermination. Aptive offers customizable solutions and tailors plans based on customers’ specific pest control needs.
To get started with a quote from Terminix, call 866-569-4035 or fill out this form. To get a free quote from Orkin, call 877-868-1416 or use this online tool. To get a free quote from Aptive, you can call 855-697-0130 or fill out this form.
During our in-depth rating of more than 40 pest control companies in the industry, Terminix earned a near-perfect score of 98.5 out of 100. Its comprehensive pest management and termite control plans performed well in various quality metrics including customer service, benefits, and trustworthiness during our review.
✔ Online chat for easy, real-time customer service and support
✔ Almost 100 years of experience in the pest control industry
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™ guarantees return visits and extra treatment if pests come back between services at no additional cost
✔ Specialists are graduate-level entomologists and members of the Entomological Society of America, ready to build a custom treatment plan for each unique situation
Based on the sample quotes we received, general pest control plans from Terminix typically cost $550–$700 per year.
Terminix’s Owings Mills, Maryland, location serves many surrounding zones of the Baltimore metropolitan area. To view all service areas and get a quote based on your location, visit the website.
Areas serviced: Boring, Brooklandville, Butler, Clarksville, Cockeysville, Columbia, Dayton, Elkridge, Ellicott City, Freeland, Fulton, Glen Arm, Glenelg, Glenwood, Glyndon, Gwynn Oak, Highland, Jessup, Laurel, Lisbon, Lutherville, Maryland Line, Monkton, Owings Mills, Parkton, Phoenix, Pikesville, Randallstown, Reisterstown, Savage, Timonium, Towson, West Friendship, Woodbine, Woodstock.
We were particularly impressed with Orkin’s urgent pest control and gave it a score of 94 out of 100. The company can even provide same-day service to customers that call before 2 p.m. In addition to special treatment for termites and bedbugs, Orkin exterminates infestations from more than 20 pest types with catered treatment plans.
✔ Features a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Been in business for over 100 years
✔ Works with homeowners to follow a specific six-step plan for eliminating current infestations and preventing future problems
✔ Uses highly trained and certified specialists for each visit
Based on sample quotes we received, general treatment plan costs average $575 per year.
Orkin’s Hanover, Maryland, location serves a wide range of areas around the Baltimore metro. Visit the website to view more details about location and get a quote based on your ZIP code.
Areas serviced near Baltimore: Alexandria, Annapolis, Arlington, Beltsville, Bowie, Burke, Capitol Heights, Clinton, Crofton, District Heights, Fort Washington, Greenbelt, Herndon, Hyattsville, Lanham, Laurel, McLean, Mechanicsville, Oxon Hill, Riverdale, Springfield, Suitland, Temple Hills, Upper Marlboro, Waldorf, Washington, D.C., Woodbridge
We gave Aptive a 91 out of 100, naming it the most customizable pest control company in the industry. In addition to its custom plans, this provider features technological features on its website and mobile app to keep customers connected to helpful resources and plan details.
✔ Open to free off-schedule service calls
✔ Has an easy-to-use website and mobile app for connecting plan details and customer service
✔ Mission-driven with a charitable giveback program
Based on sample quotes on a 2,000-square-foot home, the typical price range on the Four-Seasons Protection Plan falls between $560 and $620 annually. Requesting your own quote to check prices specific to your information on the company’s website is quick and easy.
4. J.C. Ehrlich
J.C. Ehrlich is a division of Rentokil, a worldwide pest control brand. With nearly 100 years of experience, Ehrlich offers trusted, extensive pest service in the Baltimore area. The Pestfree365 program is a common plan available for both residential and commercial pest control.
Purchasing a plan can help rid your home of common pests such as silverfish, gnats, ants, and cockroaches. It also offers additional options for bugs that need extra attention including bedbugs and termites. Although it’s a national company, this provider uses local certified and licensed specialists with knowledge of the area and typical pests in Baltimore.
J.C. Ehrlich serves most of the metropolitan area and stretches west to Taneytown, Maryland, and to the state’s border with Pennsylvania.
5. Atlantic Pest Control
Atlantic Pest Control is a local family owned and operated pest control business located in the heart of Baltimore. It has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) with an A+ rating and 36 years of experience serving areas in Maryland.
This provider offers specialized treatment plans for a range of pests, including rodents. For example, the mouse extermination plan comes with a one-time treatment for 45-day service. Pricing starts at approximately $195. On the other hand, the special rat extermination plan usually requires two visits, so pricing is $235–$295, depending on the size of the infestation.
Atlantic Pest Control has local exterminators in Baltimore and surrounding areas of central Maryland, including Baltimore County, Harford County, Howard County, Carroll County, and Anne Arundel County.
6. Brody Brothers Pest Control
From a general Home Protection Plan for regular maintenance and pest control servicing to specific treatments for pests such as termites, rodents, and bees, Brody Brothers has a great selection for anyone looking for a local, family owned and operated business to serve their home. Its website offers free evaluations and a chat service to get you started with your estimate.
Brody Brothers Pest Control’s Home Protection Plan comes with regular service, preventative care, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. It starts with four seasonal pest control treatments for monitoring and maintaining any issues that may arise from infestations of different pest types. It also includes free annual pest evaluations to ensure the best coverage and protection on your property.
This provider currently serves the greater Baltimore region, including most counties surrounding it. It also serves Maryland’s Montgomery County, which is closer to the borders of Washington, D.C.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||Aptive.com|
|Our score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Known for||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$560–$620|
We think all of the companies on our list are well equipped to tackle any of your pest control problems. We found Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive to be the most reliable options for Baltimore residents looking for a strong pest control service with trusted experience in the industry.
Call 866-569-4035 or visit this online tool to get a quote from Terminix. You can fill out this form or call 877-868-1416 for a free quote from Orkin. Aptive offers free quotes online or you can call 855-697-0130 to speak to a customer representative.
Common Pests in Baltimore
As with many cities across the country, there are a variety of pest problems in Baltimore that may arrive at your doorstep. If you start to see any of the following common pests, you may need to consult an exterminator, since many can be particularly difficult to exterminate on your own.
- Rodents — Mice and rats are a frequent pest for Baltimore homes, since the city is highly populated. Getting rid of rodents is much different than bugs, requiring trapping strategies and treatment around their nests.
- Bedbugs — It’s important to get rid of bedbugs as early on in the infestation as possible, since they can multiply and spread quickly. They’re known for being particularly difficult to exterminate on your own, so Baltimore pest services may be necessary.
- Spiders — Dangerous spiders are not necessarily common in Baltimore, but the harmless breeds can still be a nuisance, clogging up your windows and doorways with webs.
- Mosquitoes — Mosquitoes love to live in humid areas near the coast, making Baltimore particularly attractive for them. They can be pesky for properties that have an abundance of vegetation and tall grass. Since their bites are painful and can spread diseases, it’s important to eliminate them so you can enjoy your backyard without constantly swatting them away.
- Ants — Ants are a popular pest almost everywhere in the United States, and they’re an annoying bug that builds colonies with populations in the thousands. They’re particularly attracted to sugary foods and fruits.
- Gnats — Gnats don’t cause any major harm to homes or residents, but common fruit flies can be annoying around your kitchen. They’re attracted to organic materials and areas with heavy moisture.
- Cockroaches — Perhaps one of the most popular and feared infestations in Baltimore is that of the cockroach. It’s a resilient bug attracted to properties with easy access to food and water and can be difficult to get rid of without hiring a professional.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Baltimore
Many pest problems in Baltimore are serious and can get out of control. When you start to notice the common signs of these infestations—particularly bedbugs, rodents or cockroaches—reach out to a pest control company. They can inspect and diagnose the problem, provide a solution, and consult with you to create a customized treatment plan based on your specific home and needs.
Hiring an exterminator for regular maintenance and servicing can also be a beneficial way to prevent any out-of-hand infestations in the future. They will be able to spot any signs of emerging issues and act on them immediately, rather than after they have already nested in various parts of your house.
How to Choose Pest Control in Baltimore
Your decision on the best pest control service for you should be based on your priorities and specific needs. Therefore, you should consider the following categories to question whether or not each company makes sense for you.
- Type of pests — Companies often specialize in exterminated specific types of infestations. The type of pest that you’re particularly worried about should be a significant decision factor for your company selection and extermination plan.
- Cost — As with other home services, each provider differs on pricing and costs. You’ll want to get the most value for your money, so determining both your budget and the necessary coverage is a good step to finding the best choice.
- Guarantees — A company offering a satisfaction guarantee can be attractive for your decision since it gives you more trust that pests will be exterminated when you pay for the service no matter what. For example, Orkin and Terminix both offer a refund or a return visit if your treatment doesn’t seem to be working.
- Plan schedules — You may choose a treatment plan based on how regularly you want service. For example, if you want recurring maintenance to keep your home pest-free, you’ll want a plan with more frequent visits.
- Reputation — Checking reviews on both local and national companies is an important part of your pest control service shopping, since they can tell a lot about whether or not the company is reputable or warned against.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each best pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions, and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
In summary, the This Old House Reviews Team reviewed over 40 companies to select this list of the best pest control companies. Our researchers check and update our data on all 40 companies each month to ensure the most accurate information.
Baltimore Pest Control FAQs
How do I know if I have bedbugs in my house?
You can keep an eye out for a few signs to verify if you currently have a bedbug infestation. Look out for bloodstains, red or brown spots, bug skins or egg shells in sheets, and hidden areas in your mattress. Additionally, you may begin to smell a noticeable odor as the invasion gets worse.
What questions should you ask an exterminator during the first visit?
During the first visit, the exterminator will likely inspect all relevant areas of the home to put together a customized treatment plan based on your property and the particular level of infestation. You’ll want to make sure the company is transparent with you, offering a breakdown of the treatment plan, including chemicals used. This will give you an idea of how often service is needed and how to prepare, among other things.
Is getting pest control worth it?
There are a number of instances where pest control is not only worth it, but also necessary. If you have an infestation of bugs that are damaging you or your property, hiring a pest control service is critical for returning your home back to a comfortable state. On the other hand, regular service can be a smart purchase as well to prevent any problems from getting out of control.
What are some bugs to look out for in Baltimore?
Since Baltimore is located near the coast, mosquitoes can be rampant during the hotter months. Additionally, common pests like ants, bedbugs, and cockroaches are popular in the area. Read the section above for a more detailed list of common pests in Baltimore.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.