If you live in Phoenix, your pest control needs may be different than much of the country. Arizona is home to typical pests, such as roaches and mosquitoes, but scorpions and termites are more common in Arizona than many other states around the country. To rid your home of invasive pests, calling in professionals will be the most effective method, and it will likely save you time and money in the long run.
The This Old House Reviews Team has surveyed dozens of pest control companies, rating each on factors such as cost, service, availability, and reputation. We have laid out six of the top providers in the Phoenix area.
Phoenix’s Top Pest Control Companies
- Best Overall: Terminix
- Best for Urgent Service: Orkin
- Most Customizable: Aptive
- Blue Sky Pest Control
- Urban Desert Pest Control
- Moxie Pest Control
Best of the Best Phoenix Pest Control Companies
Terminix was rated the best overall provider in our independent review. If you’d like a quote from Terminix, call 866-569-4035 or fill out this form. If you need fast service, we recommend Orkin. To get a free quote from Orkin, call 877-868-1416 or fill out this form. If you want a more customizable approach to pest control, we recommend getting a free quote from Aptive by calling 855-697-0130 or filling out this form.
1. Best Overall: Terminix
Terminix is our top overall choice for pest control in Phoenix. All pest control plans come with scorpion treatment, which is a benefit to Phoenix homeowners, since scorpions are not a threat to most of the country. Terminix will come to your home quarterly, because certain pests are more prevalent during different seasons of the year. Terminix service comes with a full guarantee—if the pests are not exterminated, Terminix will continue to provide service until they are completely gone.
✔ Scored highest in our independent review
✔ 24/7 account management is available online
✔ Scorpion coverage is included in Terminix’s general pest control plan
We’ve received quotes ranging from $445 to $700 for a full-service pest control plan from Terminix. Your quote will depend on your personal information.
Service Areas: Arlington, Avondale, Buckeye, El Mirage, Glendale, Gila Bend, Goodyear, Laveen, Litchfield Park, Luke AFB, Morristown, Palo Verde, Peoria, Phoenix, Sun City, Surprise, Tolleson, Tonopah, Waddell, Wickenburg, Winkelman, Youngstown
We recommend getting a free quote online from Terminix or calling 866-569-4035.
2. Best for Urgent Service: Orkin
Orkin has more than 100 years of experience in the pest control industry. Orkin provides a full range of treatments for all kinds of pests, including scorpions. Orkin has a mandatory 160 hours of rigorous training for each new technician.
✔ Most experienced provider on our list
✔ Can offer same day service if you call before 2:00 p.m.
✔ Highly trained technicians
Orkin will remove your pests and consistently follow up between treatments to make sure your home is safe. Orkin also offers preventative services, such as moisture control and attic treatments, to ensure that pests are deterred from returning to your home in the future. Orkin’s large network of technicians allows it to offer same-day service if you call before 2:00 p.m., making it our top choice for homeowners who need pest control services fast.
Service Areas: Apache Junction, Avondale, Buckeye, Cave Creek, Chandler. El Mirage, Fountain Hills, Gilbert, Glendale, Goodyear, Laveen, Litchfield Park, Mesa, New River, Peoria, Phoenix, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Scottsdale, Sun City, Sun City West, Surprise, Tempe, Tolleson, Tonopah, Waddell, Wickenburg
If you’d like to learn more about Orkin’s seasonal pest control schedule, we recommend getting a free online quote or calling an Orkin specialist at 877-868-1416.
3. Most Customizable: Aptive
Aptive is a smaller company than Terminix and Orkin, serving 23 states since 2015. Aptive was founded by former pest control executives and uses pesticides found in nature to exterminate unwanted pests and preserve beneficial insects around your home.
✔ Offers customizable plans tailored to your specific pest control needs
✔ Has committed to donating money to help fight malaria
✔ Its website has a helpful learning center about pests
Aptive provides seasonal service, meaning your home will be protected year-round. If pests return after your service is complete, Aptive will come correct the problem, free of charge.
Service Areas: Most of Maricopa County
To get a free quote from Aptive, fill out this form or call 855-697-0130.
4. Blue Sky Pest Control
Blue Sky Pest Control serves the greater Phoenix area with full-service pest control, including specific treatments for scorpions. All solutions are customized, with a pest control specialist first performing a home inspection and diagnosing the root of the problem.
✔ Services are designed specifically for Phoenix
✔ Experts in scorpion control
✔ All services are fully guaranteed
Blue Sky has grown to a team of 65 service technicians since its founding in 2003, and each technician is trained and familiar with the Phoenix climate. Blue Sky offers budget-friendly monthly payments, and payment plans can be customized to accommodate your needs.
Quotes are not available through This Old House.
5. Urban Desert Pest Control
Urban Desert Pest Control was founded in 2015 by a pest control specialist. Urban Desert is family owned and operated and won best pest control company on Yelp in 2017 for the Phoenix area. Urban Desert Pest Control’s services begin with a free initial consultation, followed up by a customized treatment plan.
✔ Family owned and operated
✔ Award-winning customer service
✔ Serves all major cities in Maricopa County
Urban Desert’s full service pest control covers scorpions and termites, two pests that are more prevalent in the Maricopa County region. Urban Desert Pest Control is a member of the National Pest Management Association and currently holds a 4.9 out of 5-star rating with more than 300 reviews on Google.
Quotes are not available through This Old House.
6. Moxie Pest Control
Moxie has locations in several states, but each branch is opened by current employees, ensuring that Moxie’s expertise travels to each new location. Moxie offers a general pest control treatment and additional specialized treatments for termites and mosquitoes.
✔ Free termite inspections with every plan purchase
✔ All packages are fully customized to fit your needs
✔ All branches are employee owned and operated
Since 2001, Moxie has committed to providing the best customer service to pair with excellent pest control techniques, and it has racked up dozens of awards along the way. The Phoenix branch is especially equipped with strategies to tackle termites and scorpions, two important pests to many Phoenix residents.
Quotes are not available through This Old House.
Compare Pest Control Companies
|Our Overall Score out of 100||92||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Customer Service||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual Cost for General Pest Control||$445–$700||$575 (average)||$560–620|
We think all of the companies on our list are well equipped to tackle any of your pest control problems. We ultimately recommend reaching out to several companies and getting free quotes so you can weigh prices, service schedules, and customer service. Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive are all reputable full-service pest control companies that are great places to start. Get a free quote from each provider below.
Common Pests in Phoenix
Each home will have different pest control needs, but here are some of the most commonly found pests in Phoenix.
- Ants — Ants are often more of a nuisance than a real danger, although carpenter ants can cause structural damage to your home.
- Bees — Killer bees can be aggressive and dangerous to pets and children. If you suspect you have a killer bee problem, call a professional.
- Scorpions — Scorpions are unique to the desert climate, so Phoenix residents will want to make sure their pest control specialists can handle this dangerous pest.
- Cockroaches — Phoenix is home to several varieties of cockroach, all of which can spread disease and bacteria. Cockroaches are notoriously difficult to kill and reproduce quickly, so seeking professional help can save time and money.
- Termites — Subterranean termites are more prevalent in Phoenix and the surrounding areas than most of the country. A pest control company can prevent termites from causing structural damage to your home.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Phoenix
Hiring an exterminator can end up saving you time and money. Many homeowners attempt to tackle pest problems on their own, but they are not properly trained or educated on pest control. A professionally trained technician will be able to easily identify your problem and attack it at its source. Companies like Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive will send a technician to your home to complete an inspection and provide a plan to rid your home of unwanted insects and pests.
How To Choose Pest Control in Phoenix
If you’re searching for the right pest control company, consider the following factors.
- Type of pest — Make sure that your company can exterminate the pests that have invaded your home. Many companies do not provide pest control service for termites and bedbugs.
- Cost — We recommend getting quotes from several providers so you can weigh costs and receive the best rate possible.
- Schedules — Take note of how often your provider will come to your home to perform treatments. Many companies will provide service bi-monthly or quarterly over the course of a year.
- Reputation — Make sure to check customer reviews online and research each company. Some pest control companies are better than others, and reputation can be a valuable tool when deciding which company is right for you.
Pest Control Companies Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team rated more than 40 pest control companies using these factors to ensure quality and transparency.
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often will my pest control company perform treatments?
It will depend on the provider, but many companies offer quarterly treatments with a home inspection at the start of the contract term. This is to prevent seasonal pests from invading your home after an initial treatment.
How much does pest control cost?
Your quoted price will depend on a variety of factors, such as your home’s size, the type of pest you need exterminated, and how severe the infestation is. A top provider such as Terminix will charge around $550 on average, but we recommend getting a free quote yourself.
Is pest control necessary?
Pests such as cockroaches and spiders can sometimes be exterminated without professional help, but oftentimes they cannot. Pests such as termites and scorpions will likely require professional pest control services to exterminate.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.