With a growing population and tourists pouring into San Antonio each year to experience the River Walk and remember the Alamo, pest problems are sure to follow. Bedbugs, cockroaches and mosquitoes all make a home in this historic city, but having a routine pest management plan can help you avoid these nuisances.
There are many options for pest control companies in the area. That is why our Reviews Team has worked to rank and research some of the best pest control companies in the country. If you want to learn more about how each San Antonio pest control company compares on prices and plans, keep reading below.
Top Pest Control Companies in San Antonio
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- HomeTeam Pest Defense
- Accurate Pest Control
- Family Pest Control
Terminix is one of the country’s most reputable pest control companies. It offers comprehensive plans that cover many common pest issues and provides quality specialty services including bedbug and termite extermination. Terminix also has user-friendly online tools, as we find its instant online chat feature especially useful.
Pros & Cons
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™ means Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments
✔ Provides a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Offers free house inspections
✘ One-time service fee is more expensive than that of other companies
An annual treatment plan with Terminix costs between $550 and $700.
Service Areas: Atascosa, Bergheim, Bigfoot, Boerne, Castroville, Devine, Helotes, La Coste, Lytle, Mico, Natalia, Lakehills, Pleasanton, Poteet, Rio Medina, Somerset
Orkin offers quarterly treatment plans that cover up to 20 different types of pests, and it provides excellent specialty services like bedbug control. One great feature of Orkin is its same-day service guarantee. If a customer calls before 2 p.m., Orkin promises to provide service that same day, beating the industry standard of 24 hours. Orkin also provides online resources and tools for its customers.
Pros & Cons
✔ 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Technicians undergo 160 hours of training before going out in the field
✔ Every customer receives a six-step plan, called Points of Service that technicians follow
✘ No online chat
Orkin’s annual plans cost around $575 per year.
Service Areas: Adkins, Boerne, Bulverde Cibolo, Converse, Devine, Elmendorf, Floresville, Helotes, La Vernia, New Braunfels, Pleasanton, Poteet, San Antonio, Schertz, Seguin, Spring Branch, Universal City, Von Ormy
Aptive focuses on customized strategies, offered on a quarterly basis. This provider has a reputation for excellent customer service, adding a personal touch to what can otherwise be an unpleasant experience. Its user-friendly mobile app helps customers connect with representatives, and it features an online learning center to help customers learn more about common pests.
Pros & Cons
✔ Offers the Four Seasons Protection Plan for all four seasons
✔ Mobile app allows you to send pictures of your infestation
✔ Technicians will address any issues between scheduled visits free of charge
✘ Only provides one pest control plan
✘ Customers mention aggressive sales tactics
Aptive’s yearly plans cost on average between $560 and $620 per year.
Learn More: Aptive Review
HomeTeam Pest Defense
HomeTeam Pest Defense is another great option for pest control in San Antonio. The company treats common pests in the East Texas region, including ants, roaches, silverfish, earwigs, fire ants, rodents, spiders, termites and other pests. HomeTeam offers its Taexx® built-in pest control system, a networked home system that runs throughout the walls of your home. The system targets pests right where they live, helping you to avoid infestations. HomeTeam offers customized bi-monthly and quarterly plans.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Accurate Pest Control
Accurate Pest Control has been serving the greater San Antonio area since 1990. This provider offers a combination of chemical and nonchemical treatments, and it can also help with commercial pest control services. Customers can choose to have their attics specially treated for an additional cost. Accurate Pest Control’s user-friendly website features useful resources like a blog. The Accurate Plus Plan covers roaches, spiders, silverfish, centipedes, pill bugs, crickets, pantry pests, earwigs, ticks, wasps, fire ants, and scorpions.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Family Pest Control
Family Pest Control has assisted in pest solutions for San Antonio and the surrounding suburbs since 1981. The company has many comprehensive service options, including bedbug control, carpenter ant control, fire ant control, flea and tick control, lawn pest and disease control, mosquito control, rodent control, termite control, wood destroying insect inspection, attic remediation, and wildlife control. Family Pest Control offers 10 percent off for military and first-responder families, and it also provides 7 percent off any annual maintenance plans. The company’s Family Basic Plan covers over 20 pests and comes with a 100-percent satisfaction guarantee.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
Each of these companies offers excellent options for pest control in San Antonio. Our Reviews Team recommends national providers Terminix and Orkin as the best options. Get more details and quotes from each of these companies below.
Common Pests in San Antonio
Many pests in the San Antonio area, such as crickets, are not dangerous. Some, such as bats and scorpions, can pose a serious health risk for you and your loved ones. Here are some common pests in the area you may want to seek help with:
- Ants: Ants can quickly take over your home by building colonies and going after crumbs in your kitchen. Some types of ants, like carpenter ants, can cause structural damage. In San Antonio, fire ants and their painful bites may also be a concern.
- Mosquitoes: These common Texas pests are able to spread dangerous diseases, such as West Nile and Zika.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are adaptable scavengers that contaminate your food, stain surfaces, destroy fabric, and spread E. coli and salmonella.
- Bats: Though these pests are associated with nearby Austin, they also exist around San Antonio. They can possibly spread disease through their feces.
- Rodents: Mice and rats can sneak into your home through tiny spaces to nest, eating through packages of food, leaving droppings, and chewing through electrical wires and insulation.
- Scorpions: You may find these common Texas pests in your basement or bathrooms. Their stings may require medical attention.
- Spiders: While many types of local spiders are harmless, bites from brown recluse spiders and black widow spiders may necessitate a trip to the hospital.
- Termites: Termites can cause thousands of dollars in structural damage in a small amount of time, leaving your home in need of serious repairs.
- Bedbugs: These nocturnal bloodsuckers are notoriously difficult to get rid of on your own and are very common in the greater San Antonio area. Left untreated, bedbugs can infest entire rooms of your home.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in San Antonio
Different types of pests require different types of treatment. Often, the most cost-effective and time-saving approach to ridding your home of an infestation is to hire a pest control technician who has easy access to all the necessary tools and equipment. Investing in a pest control company can help you keep your loved ones safe and avoid structural damage to your house.
How to Choose Pest Control in San Antonio
Here are the most important points to consider when weighing which pest control company is best for you and your pest situation:
- Type of pests: Each company offers different general pest control plans. If you already know what pests have taken over your home, make sure they are included in the company’s plan options.
- Cost: The size of your home, its location, and the type of pests you are dealing with will affect the overall cost of services. Some companies are more expensive than others, but they typically offer unique services or more coverage. You may want a cheaper plan if you require only minimal treatment. Some companies also offer discounts on annual plans.
- Reputation: Reading about a company from expert reviews can help give you a sense of whether a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy. Customer reviews from TrustPilot and Google can also give you a realistic look at each company’s customer service.
- Plan schedules: We suggest at least a quarterly treatment plan, but plans are also offered on a monthly, bi-monthly or one-time basis.
- Guarantees: A satisfaction guarantee is a sign of good customer service. Orkin and Terminix offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix even offer to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100 percent satisfied.
San Antonio Pest Control FAQs
How much should pest control cost?
The overall cost of a treatment plan will vary depending on where you live, the size of your home, the type of pest you’re dealing with, the size of the infestation, and the type and number of treatments needed.
For general pest control for a 2,000-square-foot home, Orkin charges $790 to $980, and Terminix charges between $550 and $700.
What attracts bats to your house?
If you have plants that attract nocturnal insects to your house and yard, there is a chance that bats may be drawn to your home, too. If bats are able to enter your attic, they may start nesting there.
What can I spray around my house to keep bugs out?
A popular DIY pest control solution is a solution of apple cider vinegar and water sprayed around your home. This can deter some pests, but for the most effective pest control it is better to receive service from a professional.
How do I prepare my home for pest control?
In general, we recommend that you clean your bedding, carpets and floors, and furniture. You may also want to move any larger furniture away from any walls. Be sure to check with your pest control provider to see what else they suggest.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
With all of that data, we created a rating system to score each pest control company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem requires specific prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Your location determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees more trustworthy and therefore scored them higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies that provide information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and offer other benefits were given higher ratings.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.