Chicago, like most major cities, has its fair share of pest problems. As a tourism hub, the Windy City finds bedbugs to be an all-too-common nuisance, but roaches, mice, and termites also make their presence known. One way to keep your home pest-free and protect your family’s well-being is to invest in a pest control service.
Fortunately, the Chicagoland area is home to a variety of pest control companies to pick from. Unfortunately, it might get overwhelming trying to figure out which company is right for you and your family. The This Old House Reviews Team has ranked some of the best pest control companies in the country. We’ll show you how each pest management service in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs compares on prices and services.
Top Pest Control Companies in Chicago
- Terminix: Best Overall
- Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
- Aptive: Most Customizable
- Rose Pest Solutions
- Pest Control Chicago
- Bed Bug Exterminator Chicago
Terminix customers benefit from nearly a century’s worth of industry experience and customer service. Terminix offers interior and exterior inspection and treatment at affordable rates with certified and insured technicians. Terminix offers an annual plan that deals with more than a dozen common pests.
✔ Serves 2.8 million residential and commercial customers across the United States
✔ The Nix Pest Guarantee™ means Terminix will perform additional treatments at no additional cost if pests return between treatments
✔ Free house inspections
✘ One-time service fee is more expensive than that of other companies
Terminix’s annual treatment plans cost roughly $550–$700.
Service Areas: Addison, Arlington Heights, Barrington, Bensenville, Cary, Chicago, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Elk Grove Village, Elmhurst, Fort Sheridan, Glencoe, Glenview, Golf, Gurnee, Highland Park, Highwood, North Lake, Palatine, Rolling Meadows, Villa Park, Wood Dale
Learn More: Terminix Review
Visit Site: Request Terminix Inspection
Orkin can help with a wide range of pest problems, from centipedes to rodents. Orkin offers protection against 20 common household pests, and it also features termite inspection and bedbug services. If you call the company before 2 p.m., you can receive same-day service. Orkin also uses some of the most cutting-edge technology when it comes to pest control.
✔ Basic pest control plan already covers nearly 20 common household pests
✔ 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Every customer receives a six-step plan, called Points of Service that technicians follow
✘ No online chat
✘ Not available in AK, SD, and WY
Orkin’s yearly plans cost about $575 per year.
Service Areas: Chicago, Deerfield, Evanston, Glencoe, Glenview, Golf, Harwood Heights, Highland Park, Highwood, Kenilworth, Lincolnshire, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Northbrook, Skokie, Techny, Wilmette, Winnetka
Learn More: Orkin Review
Visit Site: Request Orkin Inspection
Aptive is a member of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program, and it’s one of the fastest-growing pest management companies on the market. The company features affordable industry-standard pest control plans while tailoring treatment to your specific pest control needs.
✔ Offers the Four Seasons Protection Plan for all four seasons
✔ Works with charitable programs like the United Nations’ Nothing But Nets campaign to help stop the spread of malaria
✔ Technicians will address any issues between scheduled visits at no extra cost
✘ Only provides one pest control plan
✘ Customers mention aggressive sales tactics
Aptive’s general pest control plans cost $560–$620 per year.
Learn More: Aptive Review
Rose Pest Solutions
With Rose Pest Solutions of Chicago, you can protect both your home and business year-round. Rose Pest Solutions has provided protection across the Midwest against common pest problems since 1860, and it also works to provide long-term solutions to protect the environment and the ecosystem.
Rose’s pest plans feature four home visits per year. Customers can also bundle their Healthy Home Maintenance Program (HHMP) with the Sentricon Colony Elimination System, which is an eco-friendly termite inspection and extermination product. Many of Rose Pest Solutions’ offerings also extend to commercial pest control services.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Bed Bug Exterminator Chicago
Despite the name, Bed Bug Exterminator Chicago can help with all kinds of pest solutions. In addition to bedbug extermination, it can handle ants, termites, mice and rats, bee removal, and wildlife removal. Its website features useful information about bedbugs, and customers can opt for eco-friendly treatments, such as heat and steam treatments.
Bed Bug Exterminator also works to be transparent about prices by providing written and signed quotes to prevent any overcharging and hidden fees. Bed Bug Exterminator offers both home and commercial pest control solutions.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Pest Control Chicago
Pest Control Chicago is another local company that can inspect your home and provide extermination services. The company can assist with many common pest problems including mosquito control, bedbugs, termites, and fleas. Pest Control Chicago uses trained and insured professionals, who work to make sure your day-to-day schedule is not disrupted.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Top Pest Control Companies
Each of these pest control companies offers comprehensive treatments and plans that can help you get rid of your pest problem. The This Old House Reviews Team finds Terminix and Orkin as some of the best. Get free quotes from each of these providers below.
Common Pests in Chicago
Chicago and its surrounding suburbs are home to many different kinds of pests. While some are merely a nuisance, others pose a serious threat to public health, can contaminate food, spread disease, and cause structural damage to your home. Here are the most common pests Chicago residents experience:
- Ants — Ants can quickly take over your home by building colonies and going after crumbs in your kitchen. They are generally harmless, but some types of ants, such as carpenter ants, can cause structural damage.
- Bedbugs — Chicago has the dubious honor of being the No. 1 city in the nation for bedbugs. These nocturnal blood suckers are difficult to get rid of on your own. If left untreated, bedbugs can infest your entire home.
- Cockroaches — Cockroaches are common in large cities like Chicago. They are adaptable scavengers that can contaminate your food, stain surfaces, destroy fabric, and spread E. coli and salmonella.
- Rodents — Mice and rats are also a common issue in larger cities. They can sneak into your home through tiny spaces to nest, eating through packages of food, leaving droppings and chewing through electrical wires and insulation.
- Spiders — Most spiders in Chicago and the surrounding area will merely create annoying webs and not pose any danger. But wolf spiders and funnel web spiders, which are common to the area, may inflict venomous bites that require medical attention.
- Termites —Termites can cause thousands of dollars in structural damage in a short time, leaving your home in need of serious repairs.
Why You Should Hire Exterminators in Chicago
Given the many common pests and bugs in the Chicago area, a pest control plan may be a wise investment. A pest control company will have the know-how to systematically apply different treatment methods for each kind of pest and help you keep your home infestation-free year-round. A good company will also work around your schedule, so you can get on with the business of living in your home with complete peace of mind.
How to Choose Pest Control in Chicago
The best way to ensure you choose the right pest control plan for you and your family is to compare quotes from multiple companies. There are a few different factors that you want to compare with each company:
- Type of pests — Not all companies offer protection against the same common household pests. Make sure the pest control company you hire has experience with the type of pest you’re dealing with.
- Cost — Some companies are more expensive than others but offer more coverage against a wider range of pest problems. If you are only dealing with a few pests, you may want to opt for a more streamlined, cheaper plan.
- Reputation — Pest control companies with decades of experience tend to have stronger reputations than newer companies. Reading expert reviews can help you decide if a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy. Sites such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) are an excellent place to start. If a company is also associated with the National Pest Management Association, that is a good sign.
- Plan schedules — Take note of how often your provider will come to your home to perform treatments. Many companies will provide service bi-monthly or quarterly over the course of a year.
- Guarantees — The top pest control companies offer guarantees to ensure that their customers are satisfied with their work. Orkin and Terminix offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Each of the two companies even offers to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
Chicago Pest Control FAQs
Can I do pest control myself?
You can eliminate and control certain common household pests, such as cockroaches and ants, on your own. However, outsourcing this task to a pest control company can save you both time and money, Often, pest control companies have access to higher-end or more eco-friendly products and solutions, too.
How often do you need pest control?
We recommend that you receive pest control roughly every two to three months or about four times a year.
Should I clean after pest control?
Pest control professionals work to make sure your home is safe and clean when services are provided. In fact, cleaning surfaces or floors with chemical cleaners may make the pest treatment less effective.
Does every house have roaches?
Though not every house has roaches, cockroaches are a common issue throughout major cities. Their presence in your home simply means they found some food or water nearby.
Pest Control Company Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing unbiased and comprehensive reviews for our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. With that in mind, we spent time creating an objective rating system to score each pest control company. Here’s what that review process looks like:
- We contact every pest control company via phone and online chat (if available), talking to representatives. We get quotes, ask questions and fully understand each company’s pest control plans.
- We test the customer service, including factors such as wait times, friendliness, and problem-solving ability.
- We check and update all of the data and metrics on the companies on a regular basis to ensure we have the most current and accurate information.
Our team rated more than 40 pest control companies using these factors to ensure quality and transparency. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale on the following factors:
- Plan options (35): Every home and every pest problem has its specific needs when it comes to prevention and remediation. Companies with multiple plans and service offerings were given higher scores than those without.
- State Availability (5): Where you live determines which providers are available. Companies available in more states were rated higher than those with less.
- Trustworthiness (15): We consider companies that offer service guarantees and others more trustworthy and therefore scored higher.
- Customer Service (35): This factor is based on our own research from calling providers, as well as their availability and guarantees for responses.
- Additional Benefits (10): Companies who offer things like information about the products they use, have an app for customers, and other benefits were given higher ratings.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.