Homeowners in Atlanta get to enjoy a vibrant music scene and many sunny days. Unfortunately, living in The Peach State means accepting that many different kinds of pests can find their ways into your home. Summertime infestations are common, and Atlanta homeowners aren’t always equipped to handle them. That’s where professional pest control comes in.
Luckily, some of the best pest control companies in the country service the Atlanta area. Orkin, Terminix, and Aptive are equipped with the experience, products, and materials needed to eradicate everything from mice to ants. These companies also offer guarantees that their services will be effective.
Top 3 Pest Control Companies in Atlanta
The highest-rated pest control companies in Atlanta, GA include:
1. Terminix: Best Overall
2. Orkin: Best for Urgent Service
3. Aptive: Most Customizable
Compare Pest Control Companies
|Our Overall Score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual Cost for General Pest Control||$550-$700||$575 (average)||$560-$620|
*N/A signals inconsistent accreditations and ratings
We give Terminix a score of 98.5 out of 100 and named it the best overall pes. Terminix’s offerings range from its well-known termite control to its general pest control plan that covers more than a dozen common household pests, bed bugs, and more.
✔ Over 90 years of experience serving 2.8 million customers
✔ Expert team made up of members of the Entomological Society of America and PhD-level entomologists
✔ Online chat function allows homeowners to speak with customer service representatives in real-time
Terminix provides customized treatment plans for pests such as mosquitoes, ticks, and bed bugs. Here’s information about their general pest control plan and termite control.
Terminix General Pest Control Plan
Terminix’s general pest control plan protects customers from house ants, cockroaches, non-dangerous spiders, rats, mice, scorpions, clothes moths, silverfish, centipedes, earwigs, crickets, millipedes and paper wasps.
Terminix Termite Control
Terminix follows a series of four steps to stop termite infestations:
(1) Install built-in bait stations 10 to 15 feet apart in the soil for a zone of protection
(2) Attract termites to the bait stations using substances more appealing to termites than wood
(3) Allow termites to feed on poisonous bait and bring it back to their colonies
(4) Provide annual inspections to monitor the bait stations for signs of termite activity and move the bait stations, if needed.
Terminix Service Areas
Terminix serves many cities in Atlanta and surrounding areas. A few cities serviced include Avondale Estates, Alpharetta, Norcross, Auburn, Conyers, Covington, Grayson, Jersey, Dacula, Clarkston, Suwanee, Social Circle, Cumming, Decatur, Lithonia, Snellville, Lawrenceville, Lilburn, Loganville, Oxford, Mansfield, Newborn, Porterdale, and Pine Lake.
Terminix plans usually range from $550 to $700 a year for a 2,000-square foot home. Tick services start at about $80 per month and mosquito services start at about $60 per month.
We give Orkin a score of 94 out of 100 and named it the best pest control provider for urgent service because it provides same-day service to homeowners that call the company before 2 p.m. in their local time zone.
✔ More than a century of experience servicing 1.7 million customers nationwide
✔ The company uses Integrated Pest Management as part of its general pest control plan.
✔ Highly trained specialists must complete 160 hours of training
The pest control provider’s customer focus is demonstrated by its array of comprehensive online customer resources, allowing homeowners to learn more about pest control concerns and the Orkin process.
Orkin offers state-of-the-art treatment for pests such as bed bugs, mosquitoes, and ticks. You can learn about Orkin’s pest control plans and termite control below.
Orkin Pest Control Plans
The company’s general plan covers 15 to 20 household pests, including mice, spiders, centipedes, earwigs, ants, moths, crickets, fleas, hornets, scorpions, silverfish, and roaches.
Orkin Termite Control
Orkin offers a variety of termite treatment services, including:
- Dry foam and Orkinfoam: This proprietary foam treats voids in walls, around heating ducts, and other common surfaces where termites may be hiding.
- Termidor liquid termite treatments: Liquid Termidor treatments provide a protective barrier around homes that eliminates termites and prevents them from entering homes.
- Sentricon bait and monitoring: Sentricon disrupts the termite molting process and inhibits their growth.
Orkin Service Areas
Orkin provides service to cities including Atlanta, Austell, Avondale Estates, Clarkston, Conley, Decatur, Ellenwood, Fairburn, Forest Park, Jonesboro, Lithonia, Lovejoy, Morrow, Palmetto, Pine Lake, Red Oak, Redan, Riverdale, Scottdale, Stone Mountain, and Union City.
Orkin offers a free at-home inspection to develop a tailored plan for each homeowner. The treatments recommended in the company’s plans determine the cost of working with the company.
Factors that will determine your cost include the severity of the infestation, the type of pests, type of treatment, number of treatments, and the size and location of your home.
We give Aptive a score of 91 out of 100 and named it the most customizable pest control provider because it customizes plans based on your specific pest issues.
✔ Its technicians will address any issues between scheduled visits at no additional cost
✔ Ranked as one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s Best Companies in America
✔ Offers a “Four-Seasons Protection Plan” for comprehensive pest management
Aptive Pest Control Plans
Aptive offers a single service called the Four-Seasons Protection Plan. This comprehensive plan involves an initial inspection and quarterly applications of pest control products. Aptive uses products derived from chrysanthemums during its applications.
Aptive eliminates pests including ants, roaches, rodents, spiders, fleas, stinging insects, biting insects, pantry pests, aphids, crickets, earwigs, millipedes, pill bugs, silverfish, and snails.
Other Aptive Services
Unlike Terminix and Orkin, Aptive doesn’t offer termite control or bed bug removal services.
Aptive charges between $560 and $620 annually for a 2,000-square-foot home. To find out the cost of its Four-Seasons Protection Plan for your specific home, get a free quote below.
The This Old House Reviews Team recommends Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive as the top pest control providers in Atlanta. Of these three companies, Terminix is the best overall pest control company, earning the highest overall rating from our review team.
Homeowners who need urgent service should consider Orkin because of its same-day coverage, and we recommend Aptive’s Four-Seasons Protection Plan for homeowners who desire comprehensive pest management services.
If you’re unsure which provider is the best fit for you, getting multiple quotes is a smart decision.
Why You Should Hire Pest Control in Atlanta
Homeowners in Atlanta have a lot on their plate, even before adding pest control to the mix. It can be difficult to identify the exact type of pest you’re dealing with, and unless you have the specifics, the treatment might not take—for example, you have to use different methods to eradicate different types of ants. Pest control specialists can take out all the guesswork and guarantee your satisfaction.
This is especially important when you consider that not all pests are mere nuisances, and some can actually spread disease. Not to mention battling some of these pests requires the use of hazardous chemicals. Is it really worth the risk? In order to keep you and your family safe, it can be a good idea to hire a highly trained professional to do the work efficiently and effectively, while keeping you all out of harm’s way.
Common Pests in Atlanta
Hot days and humidity are a recipe for drawing pests indoors in search of food, moisture, and shelter. Some unavoidable pests will find their way inside even if you take pains to keep them out. Here are some of the most common pests Atlanta homeowners might encounter.
- Cockroaches: These pests can withstand lots of treatment attempts and can contaminate food, spread diseases like salmonella, and stain fabric and clothing.
- Termites: These pests are a big problem in Atlanta during spring, creating mud tubes and causing thousands of dollars worth of structural damage.
- Ants: The most troublesome ant species in Atlanta are likely fire ants, which can leave painful, stinging bites, and carpenter ants, which can damage wood.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs can be very difficult to eradicate once they’ve entered your room. Nocturnal and tiny, these bloodsuckers can be hard to track down.
- Spiders: While many species of spiders are harmless, Atlanta is home to the venomous black widow and brown recluse. Their bites may require medical attention.
- Flies: These are more of a nuisance pest, but house flies can spread bacteria as they contaminate food.
How to Choose Pest Control in Atlanta
When choosing which pest control company you want to work with, there are several important factors you should consider. It’s important that the company’s services are within your budget and control the pests you are trying to eliminate, for example. Here are some of the top concerns you should take into account.
- Type of pests—Different companies’ general pest control plans cover a different number of pests, and different types of pests. You need to make sure the company you’re considering can provide protection against the correct pests, and investigate to see if they offer protection against any pests you may not have dealt with yet but are common in your area.
- Cost—The exact cost you’ll pay for pest control services depends on several different factors, like the type of pest, the degree of the infestation, and the size and location of your home. Some companies offer more expensive plans than others, but the value for the cost may differ. You can request a free quote online by filling out your name, address, and basic contact information.
- Reputation—Before you allow a pest control specialist onto your property, it’s important to know that you’re confident with having them on the premises. Consider reading expert reviews to find out about the company’s reputation, like if they have a track record of being competent, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Guarantees—The top pest control companies promise that their services will be effective by offering a guarantee of free service calls, a refund, or both. Orkin, Terminix, and Aptive guarantee that a pest control specialist will return to your home as many times as needed between scheduled appointments to re-treat the targeted areas. Orkin and Terminix also offer to refund your most recent treatment if you’re not 100% satisfied.
- Plan schedules—The pest control specialist will be able to determine the optimal schedule for your plan’s needs—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, or another schedule. If you have personal preference, this could be worth looking into.
Frequently Asked Questions About Atlanta Pest Control
How much should pest control cost?
There is no set price for pest control that will apply to all homeowners. The exact cost you’ll pay for pest control will depend on the size and location of your home, the type of pest you’re dealing with, and the degree of the infestation, among other factors.
How do you do your own exterminating?
Doing your own exterminating requires identifying the type of pest you’re dealing with and researching the best treatment for that type of pest. Unfortunately, a lot of the most effective treatments require the use of chemicals, which can be toxic.
How are termites treated?
There are a variety of ways to treat termites, including digging a trench around your home and placing liquid termiticide inside of it, using termite bait stations, applying direct chemicals like Termidor, using boric acid or diatomaceous earth, and setting up cardboard traps.
Do bed bugs spread disease?
There is no scientific evidence that bed bugs spread disease.