Pests are an unfortunate part of owning a home. No matter how tidy and well-maintained your residence is, it’s likely that in the long run, you will have to face an invasion of enterprising mice, ants, or any other kind of pest. Memphis homeowners might encounter many different types of pests in their humid, subtropical climate. The nearby Gulf of Mexico leads to a lot of moisture that draws insects in. Pest control may be an overwhelming task for the average homeowner. Luckily, they don’t have to handle it alone.
Some of the best pest control companies in the country service the Memphis area. The This Old House Reviews Team ranks Orkin, Terminix, and Presto-X as the top pest control providers in the area, with highly trained specialists and expertise protecting against a broad variety of pests.
Top 3 Best Pest Control Companies in Memphis
The highest-rated pest control companies in Memphis, TN include:
Compare Pest Control Companies
|Our Overall Score out of 100||98.5||94||82.5|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Comprehensive Plan|
|Annual Cost for General Pest Control||$550-$700||$575 (average)||$600-$1,220|
*N/A signals inconsistent accreditations and ratings
Terminix’s offerings extend beyond its well-known termite control. The national pest control provider also offers protection against more than a dozen common household pests, bed bugs, and more. Terminix provides pest control services to 2.8 million residential and commercial customers across the country and has more than 90 years of experience.
Terminix’s pest control expert team is comprised of members of the Entomological Society of America and PhD-level entomologists. Its dedicated customer service includes an online, real-time chat function with Terminix representatives. We give Terminix a score of 98.5 out of 100.
Terminix Pest Control Plan
Terminix’s general pest control plan eliminates silverfish, centipedes, earwigs, crickets, millipedes, paper wasps, house ants, cockroaches, non-dangerous spiders, rats, mice, scorpions, and clothes moths.
Terminix Termite Control
Terminix provides a free termite inspection for homeowners. After the inspection, the company will create a customized treatment plan for a homeowner. Poisonous bait stations are one of the many methods used by the company’s technicians to manage a termite infestation.
Other Terminix Pest Services
Terminix also provides customized treatment plans for bed bugs, ticks, and mosquitoes.
Terminix Service Areas
Terminix offers pest control services in cities in and around Memphis, including in Germantown, Hernando, Horn Lake, Lake Cormorant, Nesbit, Olive Branch, Southaven, and Walls.
An annual plan from Terminix typically costs about $550–$700 per year. Mosquito services start at about $60 per month and tick services start at about $80 per month.
Orkin has more than a century of pest control experience and services 1.7 million residential and commercial customers across the country. The company uses Integrated Pest Management, involving the assessment, monitoring, and prevention aspects of pest control.
Orkin’s highly trained pest control specialists complete 160 hours of targeted training before going out in the field. Orkin’s customer focus is demonstrated by its array of comprehensive online resources. They allow customers to learn more about general and specific pest control concerns, and the Orkin process. We give Orkin a score of 94 out of 100.
Orkin Pest Control Plans
Orkin’s general pest control plan covers 15 to 20 household pests, including moths, crickets, fleas, hornets, scorpions, silverfish, roaches, mice, spiders, centipedes, earwigs, and ants.
Orkin Termite Control
Orkin specialists eliminate termites using different methods, such as:
- Termidor termite treatments: These liquid treatments are often applied to form a protective barrier around home that both prevents termites from entering homes and eliminates termites that exit them.
- Sentricon bait and monitoring: Sentricon stunts termites’ growth and is applied to areas at most risk of attracting termites like moist soil or mulch, old tree stumps, and downspouts.
- Orkinfoam: OrkinFoam is used to treat voids around heating ducts and water pipes, under slabs, and in interior or exterior walls.
Other Orkin Pest Services
Orkin also offers pest control services for pests such as ticks, bed bugs, and mosquitoes.
Orkin Service Areas
Orkin provides pest control services in and around Memphis, including in Arlington, Atoka, Bolivar, Brighton, Brownsville, Camden, Collierville, Cordova, Covington, Dyersburg, Germantown, Henderson, Humboldt, Jackson, Lexington, Martin, McKenzie, Milan, Millington, Munford, Oakland, Paris, Ripley, Somerville, Trenton, and Union City.
Orkin offers a free at-home inspection to develop a customized plan for each homeowner. After this inspection, the cost of Orkin’s services depends on the treatments recommended in the company’s plan.
Some factors that may impact the cost of the company’s services include the type of treatment, type of pests, severity of the infestation, the number of treatments needed, and the size and location of your home.
Presto-X is a member of the Rentokil family of pest management companies. It serves residential, commercial, and industrial customers across the country. Although the company doesn’t have an online chat option, the customer service team is open and available 24/7 to serve your extermination needs.
We named Presto-X the provider with the most comprehensive plan for its impressive extermination program for both residential and commercial customers. With a location in Memphis, it’s a great option for anyone in or near the city.
Presto-X Pestfree365 Plan
Presto-X offers a comprehensive annual plan in the form of the Pestfree365 program. In addition to access to unlimited service calls throughout the year for any unexpected issues, customers receive a survey inspection with four follow-up visits for monitoring control and performing regular maintenance to the property.
This plan uses an approach to pest control called Integrated Pest Management that considers pest food sources, breeding habits, life cycles, and any conditions that are specific to your home while developing a catered treatment plan. The plan covers the elimination of a wide range of common pests such as ants, fleas, and roaches. It also includes bed bugs, which are typically more difficult and expensive to eliminate.
Prices from Presto-X can vary depending on the property details, pest types, and degree of infestation, but we received a few sample quotes for a 2,000 square-foot home to give you an idea of what the cost range might look like. Based on these quotes, the typical cost of the Pestfree365 plan falls between $600-$1,220.
The This Old House Reviews Team recommends Terminix, Orkin, and Presto-X as the best pest control providers in Memphis. We recommend Orkin for homeowners that require urgent service and Presto-X for those that need extra coverage. Terminix earned the highest overall rating from our review team and is therefore our top choice for most homeowners seeking pest control services.
Why You Should Hire Pest Control in Memphis
Dealing with nuisance pests can be frustrating enough, but what about more dangerous insects like mosquitoes and roaches that can actually transmit diseases? In a case of better safe than sorry, the advisable course of action might be hiring a professional pest control company that can send out a knowledgeable technician to eradicate the issue.
Homeowners have a lot on their plate, and learning about the best pest control strategies, products, equipment, and treatment, monitoring, and prevention methods might be more than they can take on. The best pest control specialists have the experience and training to remediate pest issues, freeing up the homeowners’ time, effort, and energy.
Common Pests in Memphis
Unfortunately, Memphis’ hot and humid temperatures during the sunny months make it very attractive to pests, from irritating but typically harmless spiders to more destructive pests, like wood-destroying termites and crisis-causing bed bugs.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches can contaminate food and spread disease like salmonella and typhoid fever. Unfortunately, they are highly adaptable and can survive harsh conditions.
- Ants: Different types of ants must be treated in different ways, and Memphis is home to many, from biting fire ants to carpenter ants that can destroy woodwork.
- Termites: These pests can cause thousands of dollars in damage quickly, chewing through your home’s foundation and leaving you vulnerable to costly and time-consuming repairs.
- Spiders: House spiders will create irritating cobwebs in your corners but not harm you. Brown recluse spiders, which are found in Memphis, have a venomous bite that may require medical attention.
- Mosquitoes: These bloodsuckers are vectors of disease that can transmit West Nile as well as leave itchy, raised welts where they bite.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs reproduce quickly and can take over entire rooms of your home and are such small, sneaky hiders that they can be difficult to eradicate.
How to Choose Pest Control in Memphis
Before you choose which pest control company to hire, it’s key that you look into several aspects of how the company works—do they protect against the specific pests you are experiencing issues with? Are their services within your budget? Here are some of the top concerns you should take into account when making your decision.
- Type of pests—Some companies’ general pest control plans are more comprehensive than others. It all boils down to what you need—the current pests you are dealing with, and whether you are worried about encountering any specific ones in future.
- Cost—The precise cost you’ll pay for pest control services depends on a variety of factors, including the type of pest, the degree of infestation, the size of your home, and where you live. Some companies offer more expensive plans than others—but they might offer more value, so the increased price could be worth it to you. You can request a free quote online by filling out your name, address, and basic contact information on the company’s site.
- Reputation—If you’re interested in learning about the company’s reputation in the industry and among its customer base—whether it’s competent, reliable, and trustworthy—consider reading expert reviews.
- Guarantees—The best pest control companies guarantee that their services will be effective by offering free service calls, a refund, or both. Orkin and Terminix promise that a pest control specialist will return to your home as many times as needed to re-treat the targeted areas if you see pests within 30 days of the last scheduled appointment. Orkin and Terminix also offer to refund your most recent treatment if you’re not 100% satisfied.
- Plan schedules—Your pest control specialist can determine the optimal schedule for your needs—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, or another schedule, depending on the company’s offerings. If you have personal preference, this could be worth looking into.
Frequently Asked Questions About Memphis Pest Control
Are cockroaches dangerous?
Yes, cockroaches can be dangerous. They aren’t only dirty and unpleasant to look at—they can spread diseases like salmonella, contaminate food with bacteria and parasites, and trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks with their shed skins.
What are some common signs of termites?
Some common signs of termites include hollow-sounding wood, mud tubes, the sound of termites banging their heads against the inside of your walls, peeling paint, shed wings, and excrement.
How can you prevent bed bugs?
A solid way to prevent bed bugs is by limiting the amount of furniture you bring into your home from off the street and from consignment shops, avoiding purchasing clothes from thrift stores, and always carefully laundering your clothes and cleaning your suitcase after you return from a trip.
How do you get rid of rodents?
There are mechanical traps—both traditional and humane—glue strips and more. However, these traps will only kill mice or rats that come across them, and will not eliminate an entire infestation.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.