Austin, Texas, is known to be humid, which, in combination with temperate weather, can make it very attractive to pests like mosquitoes. There are ways to try to combat pest invasions on your own, but for more efficient, knowledge-driven pest control solutions, consider hiring a professional pest control company.
The best pest control companies offer decades of experience, highly trained specialists, and top-of-the-line products and equipment. We believe that the companies listed below offer the best pest control services in Austin and surrounding areas.
Top 7 Pest Control Companies in Austin
The highest-rated pest control companies in Austin, Texas, include:
We give Terminix a score of 98.5 out of 100 and believe it’s the best overall pest control company. Terminix is best-known for its extensive termite exterminating services, but it’s an all-encompassing pest control company that offers protection against more than a dozen common household pests. It also offers mosquito control and treatment plans for ticks and bed bugs.
✔ More than 90 years in business servicing 2.8 million customers nationwide
✔ Offers free inspection and money-back guarantee
✔ Employs experts in the pest control field, like graduate-level entomologists and members of the Entomological Society of America
✔ Offers an online chat function so that potential and existing customers can communicate with representatives in real time
A general pest control plan from Terminix typically costs between $550–$700 per year.
Areas Serviced: Austin, Granger, Jarrell, Taylor, Thrall, Cherokee, Valley Spring, Bastrop, Bertram, Bluffton, Briggs, Buchanan Dam, Buda, Burnet, Cedar Creek, Cedar Park, Coupland, Dale, Del Valle, Driftwood, Dripping Springs, Elgin, Georgetown, and Hutto. To see all of the cities serviced, visit the Terminix website.
To get a free quote from Terminix, fill out this form.
We give Orkin a score of 94 out of 100 and think it’s the best pest control company for urgent service since it will provide service to homeowners that call before 2:00 p.m. in their area.
✔ More than a century in the industry servicing 1.7 million customers across the country
✔ Follows a system of assessment, monitoring, and prevention as part of its Integrated Pest Management approach
✔ General pest control plan covers nearly 20 common household pests
Orkin’s services are offered exclusively by highly trained pest control specialists. Each specialist undergoes 160 hours of targeted training before entering the field. Orkin also offers an extensive catalogue of online resources so that customers can learn more about how the company operates and the pests they protect against.
A general pest control plan from Orkin costs around $575 per year.
Areas Serviced: Austin, Bastrop, Blanco, Buda, Cedar Creek, Cedar Park, Dale, Del Valle, Driftwood, Dripping Springs, Elgin, Georgetown, Giddings, Hutto, Kyle, Leander, Lexington, Liberty Hill, Lockhart, Manchaca, Manor, Pflugerville, Round Rock, San Marcos, Spicewood, Taylor, and Wimberley.
To get a free quote from Orkin, fill out this form.
We give Aptive a score of 91 out of 100 and named it the most customizable pest control company. Aptive is new to the pest control industry, but it’s known for offering comprehensive solutions to get rid of pests. It has a single service called the Four-Seasons Protection Plan that involves an initial visit followed by quarterly applications.
✔ If you have issues between visits, Aptive will come out to your home to assess the situation at no extra cost
✔ Is committed to giving back to the community
✔ Ranked as one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s Best Companies in America
A general pest control plan from Aptive costs between $560–$620 per year.
Texas Cities Serviced: Austin, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, Houston South, and San Antonio.
To get a free quote from Aptive, fill out this form.
Rentokil is an international company that offers pest control in the U.S. through its regional divisions like Presto-X, J.C. Ehrlich, and Western Exterminator. These divisions are backed by the resources of the global company and specialize in regional expertise. Rentokil has been in business for almost a century.
Rentokil uses Integrated Pest Management, seeing the pest control process through from identification and treatment to monitoring and prevention. Its annual Pestfree365 general pest control program offers protection against nearly 40 common household pests, making it the most comprehensive general pest control plan of our top recommendations.
A general pest control plan from Rentokil costs between $600–$1,220 per year.
5. A-Tex Pest Management
A-Tex Pest Management provides residential, commercial, and industrial pest control services in Austin, Texas, including termite control and rodent and wildlife removal services. The company has a team of fully licensed and insured technicians that have been serving the Greater Austin area since 2002. Its exterminators are trained in the latest pest control products, techniques, and technologies to help you get rid of your pest problem.
A-Tex Pest Management protects against a variety of pests, including termites, bed bugs, ants, cockroaches, spiders, rodents, and wildlife. The company offers a 100% service guarantee and a 100% re-treatment annual renewable warranty.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
6. X Out Pest Services
X Out Pest Control Services offers customized pest control treatments to target pests in and around your home, reducing around 96% of common household pests and preventing 89% of future pest-related allergens and diseases. The company’s treatment solutions are formulated with smart product technology and are carefully applied throughout your home to get rid of current pests and prevent future infestations.
Additionally, X Out Pest offers a variety of guarantees, from a Results Guarantee and Service Guarantee to a Money-Back Guarantee and Price Match Guarantee. These guarantees ensure the quality of work performed by X Out and provide peace of mind that your pest problem will be addressed in a timely manner.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
7. Aztec Organic Pest Service
If you’re looking for a pest control provider that leaves minimal environmental impact, consider Aztec Organic Pest Service. This company typically treats once a year and doesn’t require any contracts. Aztec uses long-lasting, organic treatments that effectively kill bugs but don’t harm people. Some treatments include diatomaceous earth, boric acid powder, natural pyrethrum powder, and plant-based dusts, granules, and liquid sprays.
Most Aztec technicians have been with the company for an average of 17 years and have experience treating common household pests, including bed bugs, roaches, termites, and fleas.
Quotes not available through This Old House.
Compare Pest Control Companies
|Get a free quote||Terminix.com||Orkin.com||Rentokil.com|
|Our overall score out of 100||98.5||94||89.5|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||--|
|Annual cost for general pest control||$550–$700||$575 (average)||$600–$1,220|
*N/A signals inconsistent accreditations and ratings
The pest control companies mentioned in this review offer comprehensive treatments that can help you get rid of your pest problem. Of these providers, we believe Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive are some of the best. Get free quotes from each of these providers below.
Why You Should Hire Pest Control in Austin
Central Texas is a playground for wasps, ants, roaches, and rodents. With so many pest threats on the horizon, it can be difficult to prevent and eliminate them all. Different pests require different treatment methods, so even if you successfully eradicate your roach problem, your kitchen may still be overrun with ants. Hiring a professional pest control company means you can rely on specialists’ expertise in all areas of pest control you may need.
Pest control requires a systematic approach that pest control companies like Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive know how to execute. These companies can develop targeted treatment plans, monitor your pest situation, and take steps to prevent future infestations—that’s more than many homeowners can handle on their own.
Common Pests in Austin
Austin is home to many different kinds of pests. Some are harmless and more of a nuisance than a threat, but others can contaminate food, spread disease, and cause structural damage. Here are the most common pests Austin homeowners may encounter.
- Ants—Ants can quickly take over your home by building colonies and going after crumbs in your kitchen. They are generally harmless, but some types of ants, like carpenter ants, can cause structural damage.
- Mosquitoes—These common Texas pests do more than leave itchy welts. They are vectors of dangerous diseases like West Nile and Zika.
- Cockroaches—Cockroaches are highly adaptable scavengers that can contaminate your food, stain surfaces, destroy fabric, and spread E. coli and salmonella.
- Rodents—Mice and rats can sneak into your home through tiny spaces to nest, eating through packages of food, leaving droppings, and chewing through electrical wires and insulation.
- Spiders—Most spiders you come across in Austin will merely create annoying webs but not pose any danger. However, brown recluse spider and black widow spider bites may necessitate a trip to the hospital.
- Termites—Termites can cause thousands of dollars in structural damage in a small amount of time, leaving your home in need of serious repairs.
- Bed bugs—These nocturnal blood suckers are notoriously difficult to get rid of on your own and are very common in the greater Austin area. Left to their own devices, bed bugs can infest entire rooms of your home.
How to Choose Pest Control in Austin
We recommend getting multiple quotes before making your final decision of which pest control company to hire. Here are some factors to consider when vetting companies.
- Type of pests—Always make sure that the pest control company you hire guards against the type of pest you’re dealing with or are worried about. Not all companies offer protection against the same common household pests.
- Cost—When evaluating the cost of pest control companies, consider what they charge and the types of pests they treat. Some companies are more expensive than others but offer more coverage, so you may get more bang for your buck. However, if you’re only concerned about a few pests, you may opt to go for a more streamlined, cheaper plan.
- Reputation—Pest control companies with decades of experience tend to have stronger reputations than newcomers to the industry. Reading expert reviews can help you decide if a company is reliable, competent, and trustworthy.
- Plan schedules—Not all plans are offered on the same schedule. Look into plans that are offered in increments you’d prefer—monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc.
- Guarantees—If you tackle pest control on your own, there’s no telling if your treatment will take. The top pest control companies offer guarantees to ensure that their customers are satisfied with their work. Orkin and Terminix offer to return to your home if you see any pests between scheduled appointments to re-treat at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix even offer to refund your last treatment if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
Austin Pest Control FAQs
How often should pest control be done?
This will depend on your individual needs, the pest control company you hire, and which plan you choose. Most plans are offered monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly.
How much should pest control cost?
The exact cost you pay for pest control will depend on a variety of factors, including where you live, the size of your home, the type of pest you’re dealing with, the degree of your infestation, and the type and number of treatments needed.
For general pest control for a 2,000-square-foot home, Orkin charges $790 to $980, and Terminix charges between $550–$700.
How do you get rid of termites?
You can try to get rid of termites on your own using termite killers that come in different forms, such as sprays, dusts, and foams. You could also set out bait traps. However, hiring a professional pest control company may be your best option because specialists have access to stronger, proprietary products.
What does pest control treat?
Pest control companies protect against different speciality pests like termites and bed bugs, and their general pest control plans may protect against different common household pests like ants, cockroaches, spiders, wasps, and rodents.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.