The weather in Dallas may be better than the more southern cities in the Lone Star State, but homeowners still have to deal with hot and humid summers. Because of that, Dallas residents are no strangers to large pest populations, like mosquitoes, ants, and termites. Even bed bugs are becoming a more pervasive problem in Dallas.
Homeowners don’t have to take this on alone. Professional pest control companies are equipped with the knowledge, products, and experience to remediate any pest issue Dallas homeowners may come across.
The This Old House Reviews Team believes the best pest control companies servicing Dallas are Orkin, Terminix, and Aptive. These top pest control providers each offer decades of experience and guard Dallas homes against a wide variety of common household pests.
Top 3 Pest Control Companies in Dallas
Compare Dallas Pest Control Companies
|Our Overall Score out of 100||98.5||94||91|
|Superlative||Best Overall||Best for Urgent Service||Most Customizable|
|Annual Cost for General Pest Control||$550-$700||$575 (average)||$560-$620|
*N/A signals inconsistent accreditations and ratings
We give Terminix a score of 98.5 out of 100 and think it’s the best overall pest control company. Terminix’s offerings go beyond targeted termite protection. They include protection bed bug control and protection against more than a dozen common household pests.
✔ Over 90 years of experience serving 2.8 million customers across the country
✔ Employs a team of PhD-level entomologists and members of the Entomological Society of America
✔ Online, real-time chat function with customer service representatives
Terminix General Pest Control Plan
Terminix offers a general pest control plan that exterminates centipedes, earwigs, crickets, millipedes, paper wasps, house ants, cockroaches, non-dangerous spiders, rats, mice, scorpions, clothes moths, and silverfish.
Terminix Termite Control
Terminix follows a four-step method to manage termite infestations:
- Place poisonous bait stations about 15 feet apart in the soil for a zone of protection around a home.
- Attract termites to the bait stations using appealing substances.
- Allow termites to feed on the poisonous bait and bring it back to their colonies.
- Provide annual inspections to monitor existing bait stations and move them as needed.
Other Terminix Pest Services
Terminix also provides treatment services for additional pests, such as bed bugs or ticks.
Terminix Service Areas
Terminix serves cities in and around Dallas, including Addison, Allen, Carrollton, Celina, Coppell, Denison, Flower Mound, Plano, Rockwall, Frisco, Irving, Garland, Sachse, Grand Prairie, The Colony, Lewisville, Gunter, Lake Dallas, Little Elm, McKinney, Pottsboro, Prosper, Richardson, and more.
The cost of Terminix’s services depends on the size of a home and the type of pest that is infesting it. Terminix plans typically range from about $550–$700 per year for a 2,000-square foot home. Mosquito services start at about $60 per month and tick services start at about $80 per month.
We give Orkin a score of 94 out of 100 and think it’s the best pest control company for urgent service because it provides same-day service to homeowners that call the company before 2 p.m. in their local time zone. Orkin also prioritizes customer service and offers an array of online customer resources for homeowners to learn more about pest control concerns and the Orkin process.
✔ More than a century of pest control experience serving 1.7 million customers nationwide
✔ Uses an integrated pest control approach that incorporates assessment, monitoring, and prevention
✔ Employs pest specialists that complete 160 hours of specialized pest control training
Orkin Pest Control Plan
15 to 20 household pests are covered in Orkin’s general pest control plan. These include hornets, scorpions, silverfish, roaches, mice, spiders, centipedes, earwigs, ants, moths, crickets, and fleas.
Orkin Termite Control
Orkin helps homeowners eliminate termites using the following methods:
- Dry foam and Orkinfoam: This proprietary foam treats voids around heating ducts, in walls, and other common surfaces where termites may be hiding.
- Termidor liquid termite treatments: Termidor treatments provide a barrier around homes that eliminates termites and prevents them from entering houses.
- Sentricon monitoring and bait: Sentricon inhibits termite growth and disrupts the termite molting process.
Other Orkin Pest Services
Orkin also offers treatment plans for pests such as ticks, bed bugs, and mosquitoes.
Orkin Service Areas
Orkin provides service to cities in and around the Dallas area, including Allen, Arlington, Burleson, Carrollton, Dallas, Denton, Euless, Flower Mound, Fort Worth, Frisco, Garland, Grand Prairie, Irving, Keller, Lewisville, Little Elm, Mansfield, Mckinney, Mesquite, North Richland Hills, Plano, Richardson, Rockwall, Rowlett, The Colony, Weatherford, and Wylie.
The cost of Orkin’s services depends on the treatments it recommends for a specific pest problem. Orkin provides a free at-home inspection for homeowners during which it develops a tailored plan.
Cost is impacted by the number of treatments needed, the size and location of your home, the type of treatment, type of pests, and the severity of the infestation.
We give Aptive a score of 91 out of 100 and name it the most customizable pest control provider. Known for its comprehensive pest management solutions, Aptive creates custom plans based on your specific pest control needs.
✔ Offers a Four-Seasons Protection Plan that involves an initial visit followed by quarterly applications
✔ Ranked as one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s Best Companies in America
✔ Partnered with the United Nations to help stop the spread of malaria
Aptive Pest Control Plan
Aptive offers one protection plan, the Four-Seasons Protection Plan. After an initial inspection in which a pest specialist identifies risk areas and develops a customized plan, a pest specialist applies treatments once per season.
Aptive eliminates earwigs, millipedes, pill bugs, silverfish, snails, ants, roaches, rodents, spiders, fleas, stinging insects, biting insects, pantry pests, aphids, and crickets.
Other Aptive Pest Services
Unlike other pest control companies, Aptive doesn’t offer treatment for termites or bed bugs.
The Four-Seasons Protection Plan from Aptive costs about $560-$620 per year for a 2,000-square-foot home. To get a free quote from this company, use the tool below.
Our review team found that Terminix, Orkin, and Aptive are the best pest control companies in Dallas. Terminix earned the highest overall rating from our review team and is thus the best overall provider. We recommend Orkin for homeowners who need urgent service because it offers same-day coverage. Homeowners who want a provider that offers customizable plans should consider Aptive.
If you can’t decide which provider is the best fit for your pest problem, getting multiple quotes is a smart idea.
Why You Should Hire Pest Control in Dallas
A lot of work goes into maintaining and beautifying a home. Unfortunately, pest control isn’t just another thing on that list—it’s a duty that can actively derail some of your other plans. What’s the point of working in your attic if termites are chewing it apart? Why remodel your kitchen if ants are taking over your pantry? Professional pest control companies can handle pest issues expertly and efficiently, making it easier for homeowners to do what they need to do.
Pest control specialists can assess the situation, create and execute a treatment plan, set up monitoring measures, and work to prevent the return of any pests. While homeowners might try their own hand at pest control and fail, the best pest control companies Dallas has to offer leave you with a guarantee that their treatments will be effective.
The Most Common Dallas Pests
There are a wide variety of pests that like to sneak their way into Dallas residences, from nuisance critters that are harmless but irritating to pests that can damage homes and carry disease. Here are some of the most common pests that Dallas homeowners will encounter.
- Ants: Ants are common in Dallas, including carpenter ants, which can damage wooden structures.
- Cockroaches: Roaches don’t just contaminate your food and leave stains on your fabric. They can also spread diseases like salmonella.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes thrive in humidity, leaving itchy bites able to transmit diseases like West Nile.
- Termites: These pests are an extremely expensive problem to have, setting homeowners back thousands in property damage.
- Rodents: Mice and rats can sneak into small holes to gain access to your home and spread disease, contaminate food, and multiply quickly.
- Bed bugs: It doesn’t take long to go from a handful of bed bugs to a full-blown infestation—rendering your entire room a bed bug hot spot.
How to Choose Pest Control in Dallas
To find out which pest control company is right for you, consider several factors like the company’s cost, the pests they protect against, if they have any customer satisfaction guarantees, and more.
- Type of pests—Not all pest control companies protect against the same number and types of pests as part of their general pest control program. Make sure the company can address the specific pests you are having issues with, and any others you might be worried about.
- Cost—Exact costs are not listed online, because the price you’ll pay for pest control services depends on several factors, including the type of pest you’re dealing with, the degree of infestation, and the size and location of your home. You can request a free quote online by filling out your name, address, and basic contact information on the company’s site.
- Reputation—Expert reviews can help you determine a pest control company’s competence, reliability, and trustworthiness through details about real customers’ experiences.
- Guarantees—The top pest control companies guarantee that their services will be effective by offering free service calls, a refund, or both. Orkin, Terminix, and Aptive guarantee that a pest control specialist will return to your home as needed to re-treat the targeted areas if you see pests within 30 days of the last application at no extra cost. Orkin and Terminix also offer to refund your most recent treatment if you’re not 100% satisfied.
- Plan schedules—Pest control can be administered according to a variety of schedules, including monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, and more. Your individual pest control specialist can help determine the best schedule for your needs. But if you have a personal preference, this could be worth looking into.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dallas Pest Control
How do you know if you have bed bugs?
Common signs of bed bugs include dark, rust-colored blood spots on bed linens, feces, shed skins, egg sacs, an unpleasant, musty odor, and bites.
What are the best ways to get rid of mosquitoes?
The strategies will differ based on whether the mosquitoes are in your home or in your yard. If they are in your home, you could consider setting up mosquito netting and mosquito traps, fixing any gaps in screens and doors, using outdoor soap, setting up essential oils, burning citronella or lavender candles, or using scents like sage, rosemary, and basil to deter them.
Outside, you can look into chemical repellents, bug zappers, treating your pools and ponds, using yellow LED lighting, attracting natural predators like swallows, and planting natural deterrents like marigolds or lemongrass.
How long does termite treatment last?
This will vary depending on the treatment. Liquid termite treatments, applied to trenches around the barrier of your home, will last for roughly five years. Termite bait stations may take months to attract termites, and then it could take multiple weeks to eliminate the entire colony.
What questions should you ask an exterminator?
If you’d like to more thoroughly vet your exterminator, you can ask them questions like how long they have been with their company and how long the company has been in business, whether there are any testimonials, if they offer guarantees, and how they determine which treatment plan to use.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.