Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Green Bay
Some typical reasons why Green Bay homeowners face foundation problems include:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't completed to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Green Bay home construction year is 1979. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is vital to its structural integrity, so it's important to work with a reliable foundation repair company. Assess each contractor using the following factors:
Licensing and Experience
According to the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, all foundation repair companies must have a Dwelling Contractor certification. To earn and keep a license, a contractor must take a 12-hour preapplication course and take continuing education every other year. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how its team will draft plans and pull permits, and how the company inspects foundations.
One of the most effective ways to assess a company's reputation is to find its website. Look for the company's years in business and the qualifications its team holds. Many prominent companies offer educational content for future customers.
When you're researching a company's standing, go to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Complaints don't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company dealt with complaints. It's a good sign if the company has fixed issues favorably and proactively. You should stay away from a company with more negative reviews, no credentials, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Green Bay
The cost of foundation repair can vary substantially based on the extent of the problems and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fissuring and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable deterioration, the normal cost will be around $2,600. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $6,800. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Green Bay
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Green Bay?
When would I need a foundation replacement, and when could I just get a repair?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
Do I need to leave my home for foundation repair work?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.