Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Eau Claire
Foundation issues have multiple possible causes. Here are the most prevalent ones for Eau Claire residents:
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Eau Claire home construction year is 1977. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your gutter system doesn't cover.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation contractor doesn't have to be difficult. We encourage you to list what you expect most in a contractor, then evaluate each company on your list against these qualities.
Licensing and Experience
According to the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, all foundation repair companies must have a Dwelling Contractor certification. To earn and keep a license, a contractor must take a 12-hour preapplication course and take continuing education every other year. Talk to team members to gain further insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, permit ordinances and inspection processes.
Contractor websites are among the best places to do your research. Typically, a company will disclose how long it's been operating. It might also upload blog posts to help interested parties.
We suggest checking the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to see whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have shared satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. BBB comments also show how companies handle complaints. A responsive team that works toward amicable outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a business if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Eau Claire
The cost of foundation repair can range quite widely based on the degree of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation fissuring and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the typical cost will be around $2,800. More complex jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or major concrete leveling could run you $6,800. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Eau Claire
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Eau Claire?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing sump pumps and drains or using sealants around a basement. Outdoor waterproofing is generally less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and creating physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for signs of damage, and repair any issues promptly.
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.