Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Richmond
A home in Richmond might experience foundation issues for multiple reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Richmond experiences, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Aging plumbing: The average Richmond home construction year is 1971. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To pick a foundation repair business, you should consider what's most important to you. Use this list of qualities to help you steer the process.
Licensing and Experience
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation issues licenses to foundation repair companies. The license a company has determines what work it can do and what size projects it can handle. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, how the company inspects foundations, and what local codes apply to your project.
One of the simplest ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to visit its website. Look for the company's years in business and what credentials its team holds. Many well-known companies offer educational content for prospective customers.
When you're researching a company's credibility, head to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. BBB reviews also show how companies resolve complaints. A proactive team that strives for amicable outcomes is a good one. Avoid a business if you don't see good communication about problems.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Richmond
How much does foundation repair cost in Richmond?
Do I need to leave my home for foundation repair work?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing sump pumps and drains or using sealants around a crawlspace. Outdoor waterproofing is usually less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and creating physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.