Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Reston
A few frequent reasons why Reston homeowners encounter foundation problems include:
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Aging plumbing: While many Reston homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that leads to your foundation cracking, pipes leaking, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation provider doesn't have to be complicated. We encourage you to write down what you desire most in a provider, then evaluate each company on your shortlist against these qualities.
Licensing and Experience
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation issues licenses to foundation repair companies. The license a company has determines what work it can do and what size projects it can handle. Talk to team members to gain more insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, inspection processes and permit ordinances.
Contractor websites are among the best places to do your research. Usually, a company will disclose how long it's been in the industry. It might also publish articles to assist potential clients.
When you're researching a company's credibility, visit its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. You want to discover how a company manages them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate well, you should avoid working with it.
Finally, we recommend you search additional sites, like Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Foundation Repair Cost in Reston
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly based on the scale of the problems and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fissuring and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is quite substantial destruction, the typical cost will be around $2,700. More involved jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or major concrete leveling could run you $6,800. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Reston
How much does foundation repair cost in Reston?
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
Is foundation repair covered under my homeowners insurance?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.