Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Newport News
Foundation issues have multiple possible causes. Here are the most prevalent ones for Newport News residents:
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Newport News receives, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be menacing to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't cover.
- Aging plumbing: The average Newport News home construction year is 1980. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To select a foundation repair contractor, you should determine what's most important to you. Use this guide to help you steer the process.
Licensing and Experience
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation issues licenses to foundation repair companies. The license a company has determines what work it can do and what size projects it can handle. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how the company inspects foundations, and how its team will draft plans and pull permits.
One of the best ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to browse its website. Look for the company's history and what credentials its team holds. Many top companies publish educational content for prospective customers.
We recommend examining the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to find out whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have expressed satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. You want to discover how a company handles them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate properly, you should avoid working with it.
Finally, we encourage you to search additional sites, like Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Newport News
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Newport News?
Will foundation repair disrupt my daily routine while the work's being done?
That said, foundation repair crews operate industrial machinery, and you'll occasionally experience loud noises or vibrations. If either of these will disturb you, you might prefer to leave and return when the crew is finished.
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.