Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner varieties, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll describe each of the common AC units.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name hints, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They provide quiet operation, greater energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Newport News apartments, townhomes, and condos. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer flexible installation options, individual room temperature control, and higher energy efficiency.
How to Choose Your Newport News AC Repair Service
With the sweltering Newport News heat, AC issues are urgent to fix. However, to get the best possible outcome, it's critical to investigate different HVAC companies first. We recommend adhering to these steps as you prepare. While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should carefully investigate what's out there before committing to a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the most suitable company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation issues HVAC licenses at the apprentice, journeyman, master, and contractor levels.
You should also confirm a company has sufficient liability insurance coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if mishaps arise during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes businesses that resolve complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair companies to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We recommend getting three or more estimates to find the best cost and services. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about installer guarantees, permitting fees, manufacturer warranties and emergency repair availability.
Expert Tips By
This Old House empowers homeowners with the knowledge and tools they need to tackle various projects and navigate the complexities of homeownership.
Newport News HVAC FAQ
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Newport News?
Your AC repair costs will hinge on your system's make and model and the malfunctioning part. A basic repair job like sorting out a thermostat might cost $150–$250, whereas a more intricate fix like swapping out the compressor will be more expensive.
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Common Repair||Average Cost|
|Clogged air filter||$84–$203|
|Frozen condenser coils||$282–$1129|
|Fan or air blower issues||$508–$733|
What month is best for getting an air conditioner replaced?
To determine the best time for your installation, consider both Newport News' temperatures and company demand. Generally, contractors get busier as the weather gets warmer and less busy during cool seasons. Therefore, it might be best to get the job done between late September and mid-November or March to mid-May.
Why is my AC running but not cooling?
If your AC is running but not cooling, a clogged condenser coil could be the culprit. Normally, the AC’s condenser fan draws air into the outdoor unit through the condenser coil to remove heat energy from your home. A technician can help by clearing the clog or replacing a faulty coil.
Is hiring an HVAC company better than doing the repair on my own?
You can most likely install a window AC unit by yourself. However, installing other AC units should almost always be done by an HVAC contractor who knows the complicated piping, tubing and wiring. We also advise seeking professional installation due to the danger of refrigerant spills.
What industry certifications should I look for when researching Newport News AC repair companies?
Private accreditations might not be required, but businesses that seek them are typically more trustworthy. The two largest HVAC trade bodies that issue certifications are the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) and Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA).
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.