Common Causes of Foundation Problems in McLean
A home in McLean might experience foundation issues for various reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average McLean home construction year is 1973. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can threaten your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that causes your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation provider doesn't have to be complicated. We encourage you to list what you expect most in a contractor, then evaluate each company on your list against these characteristics.
Licensing and Experience
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation issues licenses to foundation repair companies. The license a company has determines what work it can do and what size projects it can handle. Talk to staff to gain more insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local permit ordinances, inspection processes and building codes.
Another way to gauge a company's credibility is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade credentials. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's credibility, go to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. You want to discover how a company responds to them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has more negative reviews, and doesn't communicate properly, you should think twice about working with it.
Finally, we recommend you search different websites, like Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Foundation Repair Cost in McLean
The cost of foundation repair can range widely depending on the severity of the issues and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fractures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial damage, the average cost will likely fall around $2,700. More complex jobs involving digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800 or more. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in McLean
How much does foundation repair cost in McLean?
What's the most popular foundation type in McLean?
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with McLean foundation repair services?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.