Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different types of air conditioners on the McLean market. While HVAC technicians can work with most types, knowing which one you have will streamline your company search.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They offer silent operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, flexible installation options, and individual room temperature control.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for McLean condos, apartments, and townhomes. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
How to Choose Your McLean AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do your research before hiring a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the most reliable company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation issues HVAC licenses at the apprentice, journeyman, master, and contractor levels.
You should also check a company has sufficient liability insurance coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if something gets damaged during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes contractors that resolve complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We recommend getting contacting at least three different companies to find the best value. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about emergency repair availability, installer guarantees, manufacturer warranties and permitting fees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in McLean
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in McLean?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How often should McLean homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
What month is best for getting an air conditioner replaced?
Why is my AC running but not cooling?
What industry certifications should I look for when researching McLean AC repair companies?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.