Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Arlington
A home in Arlington might experience foundation issues for numerous reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Arlington receives, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Aging plumbing: The average Arlington home construction year is 1973. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can harm your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutter system doesn't reach.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation fracturing, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To pick a foundation repair company, you should think about what's most important to you. Use this list of attributes to help you go through the process.
Licensing and Experience
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation issues licenses to foundation repair companies. The license a company has determines what work it can do and what size projects it can handle. Talk to staff to gain more insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local inspection processes, building codes and permit ordinances.
One of the simplest ways to assess a company's reputation is to find its website. Look for how long the company has operated and what credentials its team holds. Many leading companies provide educational content for potential customers.
We advise examining the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to determine whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have reported satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is unreliable. BBB reviews show how the company dealt with complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has resolved issues proactively and appropriately. You should steer clear of a company with more negative reviews, no credentials, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Arlington
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially based on the extent of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial deterioration, the average cost falls at about $2,700. More intricate projects requiring tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Arlington
How much does foundation repair cost in Arlington?
What's the most popular foundation type in Arlington?
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
Is foundation repair covered under my homeowners insurance?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.