Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Midlothian
A few common reasons why Midlothian homeowners suffer from foundation problems include:
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't cover.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: While many Midlothian homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that leads to your foundation breaking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is crucial to its stability, so it's important to work with a reliable foundation repair firm. Assess each firm using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
In Texas, local governments can choose to require contractor's licenses. Even some major cities do not require licensure to alter or repair foundations. We recommend contacting your local officials to learn more about contractor and building standards. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, what local codes apply to your project, and how the company inspects foundations.
Contractor websites are some of the best places to do your research. Usually, a company will disclose how long it's been in business. It might also upload blog posts to help potential clients.
We recommend reviewing the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to determine whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have reported satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company responds to them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate properly, you should avoid working with it.
Finally, we suggest you search other platforms, including Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Foundation Repair Cost in Midlothian
The cost of foundation repair can vary substantially based on the scale of the problems and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fracturing and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant destruction, the average cost will be around $2,500. More intricate jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $6,700. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Midlothian
How much does foundation repair cost in Midlothian?
When would I need a foundation replacement, and when could I just get a repair?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues promptly.
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.