Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Amarillo
A few factors can lead to foundation issues. These are the most widespread ones for Amarillo residents:
- Aging plumbing: The average Amarillo home construction year is 1973. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't cover.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed properly could result in your foundation settling.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is essential to its structural integrity, so it's important to work with a top-notch foundation repair firm. Assess each contractor using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
In Texas, local governments can choose to require contractor's licenses. Even some major cities do not require licensure to alter or repair foundations. We recommend contacting your local officials to learn more about contractor and building standards. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the information its team gives you. Ask about permit-pulling procedures, local codes, its inspection methods and fees.
Another way to gauge a company's standing is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade credentials. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's credibility, visit its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. BBB comments also show how companies address complaints. A responsive team that aims to achieve amicable outcomes is a good one. Steer clear of a company if you don't see effective communication about problems.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Amarillo
How much does foundation repair cost in Amarillo?
Will foundation repair disrupt my daily routine while the work's being done?
That said, foundation repair crews use industrial machinery, and you'll occasionally experience loud noises or tremors. If either of these will disturb you, you might prefer to leave and return when the crew is finished.
What are the different types of foundations in Amarillo?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for signs of damage, and fix any issues immediately.
More Foundation Resources
U.S. Census Bureau (American Communities Survey)