Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Memphis
A few frequent reasons why Memphis homeowners encounter foundation issues include:
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can be a menace to your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your gutter system doesn't protect.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Memphis receives, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Aging plumbing: The average Memphis home construction year is 1973. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation breaking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's integrity depends greatly on its foundation. It's crucial to select the most qualified crew possible. Focus your research on these characteristics:
Licensing and Experience
In Tennessee, foundation work has its own residential building contractor license classification. Any company that performs foundation work valued at over $25,000 must have a license, no matter whether it is a primary contractor or subcontractor. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the details its representatives share. Ask about its inspection methods, local codes, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
One of the best ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to visit its website. Look for the company's years in business and what credentials its team holds. Many well-known companies publish educational content for potential customers.
Before selecting a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is unreliable. BBB reviews show how the company dealt with complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has fixed issues appropriately and proactively. You should stay away from a company with numerous negative reviews, no credentials, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Memphis
The price of foundation repair can range widely depending on the extent of the issues and what needs to be fixed. For minor foundation cracking and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the typical cost lands at about $2,600. More intricate projects requiring tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Memphis
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Memphis?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
- Discoloration or odors
- Mold and mildew
- Plumbing leaks
- Uneven floors
- Hairline cracks
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Memphis foundation repair services?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.