Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different varieties of air conditioners on the Chattanooga market. While HVAC professionals can work with most types, knowing which one you have will streamline your company search.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, higher energy efficiency, and flexible installation options.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name hints, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They offer peaceful operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Chattanooga apartments, condos, and townhomes. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
How to Choose Your Chattanooga AC Repair Service
With Chattanooga's extreme heat, AC problems are urgent to fix for your safety and comfort. However, don't race to sign a contract until you're convinced a company is the best fit for you. We recommend following these steps in your research. While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should carefully investigate what's out there before committing to a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the right company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
In Tennessee, licensed prime contractors can perform HVAC jobs valued at $25,000 or more. For projects less than $25,000, a company will usually need a Limited Licensed Electrician credential. They also need to subcontract electrical work and permit-pulling to a licensed electrician.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits contractors that handle complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair businesses to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different companies for the best value. A good estimate should include additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about manufacturer warranties, the emergency repair process, and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Chattanooga
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Chattanooga?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Common Repair||Average Cost|
|Clogged air filter||$73–$177|
|Frozen condenser coils||$246–$986|
|Fan or air blower issues||$443–$640|