Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner varieties, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll explain each of the common AC units.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide silent operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Chattanooga townhomes, apartments, and condos. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, individual room temperature control, and flexible installation options.
How to Choose Your Chattanooga AC Repair Service
With Chattanooga's extreme heat, AC problems are urgent to fix for your safety and comfort. However, don't rush to sign a contract until you're sure a company is the best fit for you. We recommend following these steps in your research.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
In Tennessee, licensed prime contractors can perform HVAC jobs valued at $25,000 or more. For projects less than $25,000, a company will usually need a Limited Licensed Electrician credential. They also need to subcontract electrical work and permit-pulling to a licensed electrician.
You should also confirm a company has sufficient liability insurance coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if something gets damaged during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes contractors that respond to complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We advise getting contacting at least three different companies to find the best pricing and offerings. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about permitting fees, emergency repair availability, installer guarantees and manufacturer warranties.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Chattanooga
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Chattanooga?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
When is the best time to replace an AC unit?
What do I do if my AC is running but not cooling?
How long is my air conditioner's lifespan? When should I consider a replacement?
Should my HVAC company have a private accreditation?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.