Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Sioux Falls
A few frequent reasons why Sioux Falls homeowners encounter foundation problems include:
- Aging plumbing: While many Sioux Falls homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be menacing to your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that leads to your foundation fracturing, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To choose a foundation repair company, you should think about what's most important to you. Use this guide to help you go through the process.
Licensing and Experience
South Dakota doesn't license foundation repair companies at the state level. Counties, cities, and tribal governments may choose to issue licenses and set codes for companies to follow. We encourage you to contact the Sioux Falls and local county offices to determine your local requirements. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how the company inspects foundations, and how its team will draft plans and pull permits.
Contractor websites are among the best places to do your research. Usually, a foundation company will mention how long it's been in business. It might also share other content to help potential clients.
We advise reviewing the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to determine whether it's accredited and has a positive customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have shared satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. BBB comments also show how companies handle complaints. A responsive team that works toward amicable outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a contractor if you don't see good communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Sioux Falls
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly based on the extent of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation fracturing and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant destruction, the typical cost will be around $2,400. More complex jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or major concrete leveling could run you $6,700. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Sioux Falls
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Sioux Falls?
What are the different types of foundations in Sioux Falls?
Do Sioux Falls foundation repair companies offer warranties or guarantees?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for cracks, and address any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.