Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Parma
A home in Parma might experience foundation issues for multiple reasons. Some are unique to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be menacing to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutter system doesn't reach.
- Aging plumbing: Parma has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1960. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through cracks, and may create stress that causes your foundation cracking, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation repair company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each provider on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
While Ohio doesn't regulate foundation repair companies at a state level, cities can choose to require licenses, exams, or continuing education. Contact the Parma city hall, Cuyahoga County, or your regional building district for more information about what's necessary. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how its team will draft plans and pull permits, and how the company inspects foundations.
Another way to gauge a company's credibility is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade qualifications. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's reputation, visit its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company handles them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate properly, you should think twice about working with it.
Finally, we recommend you search additional sites, like Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Foundation Repair Cost in Parma
The cost of foundation repair can vary substantially based on the degree of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation fissuring and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is quite substantial destruction, the normal cost will be around $3,100. More complex jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $6,900. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Parma
How much does foundation repair cost in Parma?
What are the different types of foundations in Parma?
Is foundation repair covered under my homeowners insurance?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.