Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Cleveland
Foundation issues have some possible causes. Here are the most frequent ones for Cleveland residents:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: Cleveland has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1964. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through crevices, and may apply force that causes your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation contractor doesn't have to be challenging. We encourage you to jot down what you expect most in a company, then evaluate each company on your selection against these attributes.
Licensing and Experience
While Ohio doesn't regulate foundation repair companies at a state level, cities can choose to require licenses, exams, or continuing education. Contact the Cleveland city hall, Cuyahoga County, or your regional building district for more information about what's necessary. Talk to representatives to gain further insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local inspection processes, permit ordinances and building codes.
Another way to measure a company's standing is to look at its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade accreditations. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before signing a contract with a company, examine its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. The BBB shows how companies resolve complaints. A proactive team that strives for amicable outcomes is a good one. Avoid a business if you don't see good communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Cleveland
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly based on the severity of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fissures and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant damage, the typical cost falls at about $3,100. More intricate projects requiring tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,900+. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Cleveland
How much does foundation repair cost in Cleveland?
What's the most popular foundation type in Cleveland?
How long does foundation repair usually take?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.