Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Raleigh
A home in Raleigh might experience foundation issues for numerous reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Raleigh gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Aging plumbing: While many Raleigh homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that results in your foundation cracking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation provider doesn't have to be difficult. We encourage you to list what you desire most in a company, then evaluate each company on your list against these characteristics.
Licensing and Experience
According to the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors, foundation repair and concrete companies in the state must have either a Building Contractor license, a Residential Contractor license, or both. Talk to staff to gain additional insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, permit ordinances and inspection processes.
One of the most effective ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to browse its website. Look for how long the company has operated and what credentials its team holds. Many leading companies provide educational content for potential customers.
When you're researching a company's standing, check out its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company dealt with complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has resolved issues proactively and favorably. You should steer clear of a company with more negative reviews, no accreditation, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Raleigh
The price of foundation repair can range widely based on the extent of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial deterioration, the normal cost is about $2,800. More involved projects requiring excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Raleigh
How much does foundation repair cost in Raleigh?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing drains and sump pumps or using sealants around a crawlspace. Exterior waterproofing is generally less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and establishing physical barriers between your foundation and yard.
How long does foundation repair usually take?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and address any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.