Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Greenville
Foundation issues have multiple possible causes. Here are the most frequent ones for Greenville residents:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Greenville experiences, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Aging plumbing: While many Greenville homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can harm your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutter system doesn't cover.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's stability depends greatly on its foundation. It's important to select the top professionals possible. Center your research on these attributes:
Licensing and Experience
According to the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors, foundation repair and concrete companies in the state must have either a Building Contractor license, a Residential Contractor license, or both. Talk to representatives to gain further insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, permit ordinances and inspection processes.
Contractor websites are some of the best places to do your research. Usually, a company will disclose how long it's been in the industry. It might also publish blog posts to assist interested parties.
When you're researching a company's reputation, go to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company dealt with complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has resolved issues appropriately and proactively. You should avoid a company with more negative reviews, no accreditation, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Greenville
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly depending on the extent of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable damage, the average cost falls at about $2,700. More intricate projects requiring tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Greenville
How much does foundation repair cost in Greenville?
What's the most popular foundation type in Greenville?
Do Greenville foundation repair companies offer warranties or guarantees?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for cracks, and address any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.