Common Types of Air Conditioners
By understanding which type of air conditioner you have, you'll feel more empowered in your contractor search. Union HVAC technicians have experience with different AC makes and models, and they can customize their skills to your needs.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They offer silent operation, greater energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Union condos, townhomes, and apartments. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer flexible installation options, individual room temperature control, and higher energy efficiency.
How to Choose Your Union AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do some essential research before signing a contract with a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the most suitable company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The New York state government doesn't require HVAC companies to get a state license. However, it's common for local governments to require licenses. You should ask your city offices about what's required where you live.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits contractors that respond to complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We advise getting at least three different estimates to find the best pricing and offerings. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about installer guarantees, emergency repair availability, manufacturer warranties and permitting fees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Union
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Union?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How often should Union homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
What month is best for getting an air conditioner replaced?
What do I do if my AC is running but not cooling?
What industry certifications should I look for when researching Union AC repair companies?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.