Common Causes of Foundation Problems in The Bronx
Foundation issues have several possible causes. Here are the most frequent ones for The Bronx residents:
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall The Bronx gets, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can threaten your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't reach.
- Aging plumbing: The Bronx has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1958. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each company on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
New York's state government doesn't issue contracting licenses, but cities often choose to require them of foundation companies and other builders. For example, New York City requires foundation and excavating contractors to obtain a "Safety Registration Number" with a concrete work endorsement. They also need to register as a general contractor or home improvement contractor. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the information its team gives you. Inquire about its inspection processes, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Contractor websites are excellent places to do your research. Usually, a business will discuss how long it's been in the industry. It might also publish other content to help potential clients.
Before committing to a company, check its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. BBB reviews also show how companies resolve complaints. A responsive team that strives for amicable outcomes is a good one. Steer clear of a contractor if you don't see effective communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in The Bronx
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly depending on the degree of the issues and what's required to resolve them. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is substantial deterioration, the average cost lands at about $3,200. More involved projects involving digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $7,000. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in The Bronx
What will I pay to repair my foundation in The Bronx?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with The Bronx foundation repair services?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.