Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different types of air conditioners on the Queens market. While HVAC contractors can work with most types, knowing which one you have will ease your company hunt.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, higher energy efficiency, and flexible installation options.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They offer peaceful operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Queens condos, townhomes, and apartments. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
How to Choose Your Queens AC Repair Service
You likely want a quick solution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before signing up with a repair company, it's important to take the time to research if they're ideal for your dwelling. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The New York state government doesn't require HVAC companies to get a state license. However, it's common for local governments to require licenses. You should ask your city offices about what's required where you live.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes businesses that handle complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different companies for the best value. A good estimate should list additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about installer guarantees, the emergency repair process, and manufacturer warranties.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Queens
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Queens?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Common Repair||Average Cost|
|Clogged air filter||$138–$333|
|Frozen condenser coils||$463–$1852|
|Fan or air blower issues||$833–$1203|