Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner types, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll outline each of the common AC models.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, individual room temperature control, and flexible installation options.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Penfield townhomes, apartments, and condos. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They offer silent operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
How to Choose Your Penfield AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should carefully investigate what's out there before committing to a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the most reliable company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The New York state government doesn't require HVAC companies to get a state license. However, it's common for local governments to require licenses. You should ask your city offices about what's required where you live.
You should also confirm a company has sufficient liability coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if something gets damaged during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes contractors that handle complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We advise getting at least three different quotes to find the best value. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about manufacturer warranties, permitting fees, emergency repair availability and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Penfield
What's the cost of an AC repair job in Penfield?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How do I know if my air conditioning system needs repair?
What month is best for getting an air conditioner replaced?
How long is my air conditioner's lifespan? When should I consider a replacement?
How quickly can an HVAC company in Penfield respond to emergency repair requests?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.