Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner models, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll outline each of the common AC types.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Oyster Bay condos, townhomes, and apartments. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, individual room temperature control, and flexible installation options.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide quiet operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
How to Choose Your Oyster Bay AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should carefully investigate what's out there before committing to a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the best company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The New York state government doesn't require HVAC companies to get a state license. However, it's common for local governments to require licenses. You should consult with your city offices about what's required where you live.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits businesses that respond to complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair businesses to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We advise getting three or more estimates to find the best value. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about installer guarantees, manufacturer warranties, emergency repair availability and permitting fees.
Expert Tips By
This Old House empowers homeowners with the knowledge and tools they need to tackle various projects and navigate the complexities of homeownership.
Oyster Bay HVAC FAQ
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Oyster Bay?
Your AC repair costs will hinge on the type of unit you have and the malfunctioning part. A basic repair job like sorting out a thermostat might cost $150–$250, whereas a more intricate fix like swapping out the compressor will be more expensive.
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Common Repair||Average Cost|
|Clogged air filter||$154–$371|
|Frozen condenser coils||$515–$2063|
|Fan or air blower issues||$928–$1340|
How do I know if my air conditioning system needs repair?
Here are several frequent AC issues you might face:
- Clogged air filter
- Dirty evaporator coil
- Fan motor failure
- Faulty thermostat
- Faulty wiring
- Freon leak
- Frozen evaporator coil
- Improper refrigerant charge
- Malfunctioning capacitor
- Malfunctioning compressor
- Mold or mildew growth
- Oversized or undersized unit
- Refrigerant leak
- Water leaks
How often should Oyster Bay homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
It's a good idea to service your air conditioner at least once a year. You can further maximize its efficiency and lifespan by keeping the outdoor unit clear of brush and debris.
Why is my AC running but not cooling?
If your air conditioner is running but not cooling, a contractor will usually check the condenser coil first. Normally, the outdoor unit fans draw air into the coil so the system can extract heat energy from your home. Clearing the blockage might be all that's necessary to get your AC cooling again.
How quickly can a Oyster Bay HVAC company respond to emergency repair requests?
Some repair companies offer same-day or next-day service for emergency air conditioner breakdowns. However, the specific timeframe will vary depending on the team's schedule, the terms in your contract, and the severity of the issue. For the most accurate info, we recommend contacting the company directly and explaining the situation.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.