Common Causes of Foundation Problems in New Rochelle
Foundation issues have a few possible causes. Here are the top ones for New Rochelle residents:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall New Rochelle receives, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Aging plumbing: New Rochelle has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1958. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that causes your foundation breaking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's stability depends greatly on its foundation. It's crucial to select the best team possible. Focus your research on these features:
Licensing and Experience
New York's state government doesn't issue contracting licenses, but cities often choose to require them of foundation companies and other builders. For example, New York City requires foundation and excavating contractors to obtain a "Safety Registration Number" with a concrete work endorsement. They also need to register as a general contractor or home improvement contractor. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the information its team gives you. Ask about its inspection processes, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Another way to evaluate a company's credibility is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade credentials. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before choosing a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. BBB reviews also show how companies address complaints. A responsive team that works toward excellent outcomes is a good one. Steer clear of a company if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in New Rochelle
The cost of foundation repair can vary substantially based on the degree of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation fissuring and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is significant destruction, the typical cost will be around $3,500. More intricate jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or major concrete leveling could run you $7,100. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in New Rochelle
How much does foundation repair cost in New Rochelle?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
Will foundation repair disrupt my daily routine while the work's being done?
That said, foundation repair crews operate industrial machinery, and you'll occasionally experience loud noises or tremors. If either of these will disturb you, you might prefer to leave and return when the crew is finished.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.