Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner models, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll describe each of the common AC models.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name hints, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They offer quiet operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, flexible installation options, and individual room temperature control.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Huntington apartments, townhomes, and condos. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
How to Choose Your Huntington AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do some essential research before signing a contract with a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the right company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The New York state government doesn't require HVAC companies to get a state license. However, it's common for local governments to require licenses. You should contact your city offices about what's required where you live.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits businesses that resolve complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair companies to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We suggest getting at least three different quotes to find the best cost and services. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about permitting fees, manufacturer warranties, emergency repair availability and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Huntington
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Huntington?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Common Repair||Average Cost|
|Clogged air filter||$139–$335|
|Frozen condenser coils||$466–$1865|
|Fan or air blower issues||$839–$1212|