Common Types of Air Conditioners
By understanding which type of air conditioner you have, you'll feel more confident in your contractor search. Greenburgh HVAC professionals have experience with different AC makes and models, and they can tailor their skills to your needs.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide peaceful operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Greenburgh apartments, condos, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, higher energy efficiency, and flexible installation options.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
How to Choose Your Greenburgh AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do some essential research before hiring a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the best company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The New York state government doesn't require HVAC companies to get a state license. However, it's common for local governments to require licenses. You should ask your city offices about what's required where you live.
You should also confirm a company has sufficient liability insurance coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if something gets damaged during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes contractors that respond to complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a provider if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We recommend getting at least three different quotes to find the best cost and services. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about installer guarantees, emergency repair availability, manufacturer warranties and permitting fees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Greenburgh
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Greenburgh?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
Does my air conditioner need routine maintenance? If so, how often?
What month is best for getting an air conditioner replaced?
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
How many years until I should replace my AC unit?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.