Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Greece
Foundation issues have multiple possible causes. Here are the top ones for Greece residents:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Aging plumbing: The average Greece home construction year is 1968. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that causes your foundation cracking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is essential to its structural integrity, so it's important to work with a quality foundation repair firm. Evaluate each company using the following factors:
Licensing and Experience
New York's state government doesn't issue contracting licenses, but cities often choose to require them of foundation companies and other builders. For example, New York City requires foundation and excavating contractors to obtain a "Safety Registration Number" with a concrete work endorsement. They also need to register as a general contractor or home improvement contractor. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, what local codes apply to your project, and how the company inspects foundations.
Contractor websites are among the best places to do your research. Usually, a business will show how long it's been operating. It might also publish blog posts to help prospective customers.
Before selecting a company, examine its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company handles them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate well, you should think twice about working with it.
Finally, we encourage you to search different websites, like Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Foundation Repair Cost in Greece
The cost of foundation repair can vary substantially based on the extent of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is quite substantial destruction, the typical cost will be around $3,200. More involved jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $7,000. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Greece
How much does foundation repair cost in Greece?
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
Will my homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.